>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec PF-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby rickfrl » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Here's an update on my Kel-Tec PF9. i shot about 100 rounds through it, when the mag starting falling out when i shot it. i called the company and the service man told me it was probably the mag catch, and that he would send me a new one. i told him that i was at work and didn't have any information proving that i owned the gun, ser. numbers etc. He says no problem and ask for my address. 3 days later it was in my mail box. Mag catch and new spring, no questions ask, just a thank you and let us know if it doesn't fix your problem. Which by the way, it did.

i was very impressed with their speedy response, & concern to my problem.
rickfrl

Postby epwrangler » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:33 pm

My gun seems to have gotten the upgraded parts before I bought it. I have the metal magazine release and slide release.Truthfully, I can not imagine them ever being plastic. I wonder if anyone has come up with a metal guide rod yet? A STAINLESS ONE WOULD BE NICE. Don't you think so too? What about a metal follower?
epwrangler

Postby highplainsman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:39 pm

Picked up a hard chrome PF9 at my local gunshop a couple of days ago. Needed something lighter for back up and hot weather. Went immediatly to the country where beer cans grow and with a box of remanufactured 115 grain hardball managed inch of beercan at 5 to 10 yds. tried a mag full of 147 gr TAP and was very pleased. had one failure to fire on the remanufacture stuff and checking the primer indentions on both types of ammo it seems the reman has harder primers as all 50 rds were barly indented. The TAP ammo showed a nice fairly deep indention. Today went to the range for a little more formal practice on paper and managed fairly good groups out to ten yards with the TAP. Switching to the reman stuff I had a failure to eject after about ten or twelve rounds. On the next round the trigger failed to reset and low and behold the firing pin had backed out of the channel. The extractor spring screw had backed out enough for the firing pin to come out. Easily fixed and back to the country at the beer cans again and everthing is working fine. With a drop of loc-tite on that screw and a few hundred more rounds I think I have found my backup to my Glock 27 that is my primary and my main carry with my P3AT as a backup to it in off duty warm weather.
highplainsman

Postby highplainsman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 pm

A bit of follow up! A drop of lock-tite blue on that screw and about 75 more rounds of hardball and no more problems. This a great little gun!
highplainsman

Postby epwrangler » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 am

I put the carry clip on mine and don't need a holster to carry.Works very well. Love this gun for a full power ccw.
epwrangler

Postby Missionx5 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm not going to bash keltec but I have had problems. I bought my PF-9 new so it is not one of the old generation pieces. Accuracy ought of the box was impressive up to 25'. That exceeds my expectation for the size and price. I have had all kind of issues with failure to fire, failure to eject, failure to load. My experience with Customer Service has been second to none. Exactly what you would expect out of an American Company. If I call I get to speak to a person who actually works in the service department and they are both knowledgeable and helpful. My gun is going back to Keltec for problem solving and I'm sure they will take care of the problem, no money out of my pocket. Problem I have is the money I have spent on Ammo trying to get this gun right. How do I recoup those losses? I don't. I'm not the kind of person who can just dump off a melon gun on some ignorant soul at a gun show. So I'm hoping for the best.
Missionx5

Postby Missionx5 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm going to bash keltec but I have had problems. I bought my PF-9 new so it is not one of the old generation pieces. Accuracy ought of the box was impressive up to 25'. That exceeds my expectation for the size and price. I have had all kind of issues with failure to fire, failure to eject, failure to load. My experience with Customer Service has been second to none. Exactly what you would expect out of an American Company. If I call I get to speak to a person who actually works in the service department and they are both knowledgeable and helpful. My gun is going back to Keltec for problem solving and I'm sure they will take care of the problem, no money out of my pocket. Problem I have is the money I have spent on Ammo trying to get this gun right. How do I recoup those losses? I don't. I'm not the kind of person who can just dump off a melon gun on some ignorant soul at a gun show. So I'm hoping for the best.
Missionx5

Postby epwrangler » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:38 pm

My gun was new when I bought it and I did spend a bit of time getting it broken in and it works fine now with no real problems. It shoots Speer personal defense type ammo just fine. If you have not been on the KTOG site you might go there and read what people say about them.
epwrangler

Postby Gunsnbikes » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Hey Missionx5... stick with your PF9. Sounds to me like you just got a bad egg. I have several friends who are proud PF9 owners (myself included). Awfully hard to beat this gun at this price. You gotta love an inovative company like Keltec!
Gunsnbikes

Postby highplainsman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:00 pm

I think this is a lot of gun for the money! Have not had a chance to work much more with mine because of inclement weather. Hope to get out as with it soon as we are promised some warmer weather for the next few days. Have been carrying it as a backup to my Glock in a breast pocket of my Jacket and just kind of forget its there!
highplainsman

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols