>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec PF-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby HockeyWinger » Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 pm

This is a "fun" pistol. I don't have too much to add to other positive reviews, so I'll hit some highlights.

If you haven't taken some 220 grit sand paper to it you should. Sand down the seam from the two halves of the frame, especially along the backstrap. Also smooth, but don't remove, the three vertical ridges on the each side of the backstrap. Do the same to the ridge on the sides of the front of the grip. You will be amazed how much better it feels. First time I shot it I barely got 35 rounds through it before I had to quit. After all the sanding, I easily shot 50 and wanted to shoot another box, but had to get going. Oddly, I found shooting it one-handed easier to handle than using a two-handed grip. I can't say that about any other pistol...

I have read that the PF9 has issues feeding 147 grain HP rounds. I have not had feed issues with those, but haven't shot a lot of them to really test it out.

I haven't decided if it was worth the price to get the Crimson Trace for it. Without it I find the PF9 is easier to control without the finger extension on the magazine. With laser you lose a little grip room and now I have to have the finger extension.

Like you see posted a lot, this is an amazingly accurate pistol for the size.
HockeyWinger

Postby RobzRV » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:59 pm

After over 6 months of use, still Zero problems.

This snappy little pistol is DEF NOT for everyone, as it's the smallest, lightest 9mm out there. NOT a good choice for new shooters.

...CrossyPoo... The pin distance is the same for the P-11 & PF9, but the Pin Length of the PF-9 is shorter. If you can't find the PF9 Belt Clip on the Kel-Tec Site, check ebay.
RobzRV

Postby HockeyWinger » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 pm

I did run into a "problem" this time out. I only took 124gr FMJ with the to the range and didn't think to take any 115. Two or three failure to feed per five rounds. Has anyone else had issues with 124gr? I haven't had any problems with a variety of 115 FMJ. I also didn't have problems with 147gr HP, but haven't put a lot of those through. I normally only use the 124 in my Beretta and know the best solution is to not use it in my Pf-9, but was wondering if others have had this problem. Thanks.
HockeyWinger

Postby real_racer1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 am

Just got mine a week ago but have already run about 150 rounds thru it of about 5 brands and weights. no problems but maybe not enough of any brand yet to have an issue? Love gun except i followed other recommendations and had to sand trigger with 320 grit sandpaper to smooth out. Feels much better. As far as shooting it has a kick but much less than my ruger lcp. Even with some plus loads it still doesn't sting my hand like my ruger and the trigger pull is great. i have arthritis and this gun and my ruger lcr revolver are the only 2 i can pull trigger with one hand. Little bigger to carry but i did buy a few holsters and couldn't wear comfortably untill i got a Kholster 2 days ago. Have worn 2 straight days and it works great plus it doesn't show very much at all because it is adjustible. If you carry a bigger gun this time of year they tend to dig in your hot sweaty skin and really hurt. This Kholster has a leather pad against skin that feels great but they do cost a little more. Cost is $50 with shipping and well worth it but if you type in rebate code 06-4683 in special instructions section when ordering you save $5 which they refunded next day and boy they ship fast. I got holster 3 days after ordering!! I like my new carry now because the 9mm has more stopping power than the ruger .380 and is just as easy to carry!!
real_racer1

Postby cheapjeeps85 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:33 pm

i got mine on may 1st still no problems out of 400 rounds i had one jam and that was due to the mag poping out i had a lcp it was way to pricy to shoot and jamed
cheapjeeps85

Postby drpdw » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:26 pm

The PF-9 is one of my 2 CCWs (with the other one being my Glock 26). I have had it since December '09 and have put approximately 1,200 115 grain rounds through it to date. (I keep the 2nd. mag for it filled with Hornady's Critical Defense rounds in it for carry.)

This is NOT, however, a weapon for an inexperienced shooter...woman OR man. I truly take exception to reading on this forum and on others, that this little gun (or other guns) is not a "lady's gun." What exactly IS a 'lady's gun?...certainly not a Pink Lady revolver! I am a woman, and on the small side, but due to the fact that I go to the range on a weekly basis (schedule permitting), and I regularly have the opportunity to shoot a variety of my friends' sub-compact, compact and full-sized handguns, semi-autos and revolvers (including .44 mag, .45 ACP, .357sig and .357mag, in addition to my own 9mm semi-auto SIG and Glock), I can handle this little gun with no problem and can easily shoot a 1 1/2" group at 7 yards, without mishap. BTW, I have seen some men on the range who can't handle the size and/or kick of the PF-9 (or other sub-compacts such as the Glock 26 or 27, for that matter), and end up stovepiping or having half of their rounds shooting off the target. Thus, it's not a question of gender or brute physical strength whether or not one can shoot this gun. It is important, in my opinion and experience, however, to hold the PF-9 with an extra stiff grip, pull the trigger half-way while aiming, and then gently squeeze off the round with the tip of the index trigger finger. A Hogue, Jr. grip (less than $8 retail) will take off 50% of the sting of recoil in addition to making the smoothing of the backstrap unnecessary for a comfortable grip. I don't use the PF-9 as a range (target) gun, but fire 2 mags through it a couple of times a month, clean and oil it. Bottom line, a decent CCW for the price. BTW, I've added some Swarovski crystal action to the inside grip for a little glitz:)
drpdw

Postby GOANRA » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:58 pm

My wife doesn't like shooting my PF9 much, but loves "her" Kel-Tec .380 and has put 100 rounds of +P JHP ammo through it while I wasn't looking [$48.]. She loves it with her extra tiny hands, go figure.

Nowdays, I put 3 rounds through all of my CC sidearms & if I get a good group of 3 at 30 ft, on each, I go to my .22 pistol.

Wife puts 3 rounds of her +P .380 JHP 'carry' ammo into a tight group [everytime] & then switches to a .22 also.

The .22s keep me out of the poorhouse. LOL
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Muzz » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:12 pm

First off...I am tired of hearing everyone say it is only for close range combat. I don't know if I got a well made PF9 but it is more accurate than any other pistol I have shot. Recently, my friends and I went to an indoor range. We brought Glock 45, Kahr 9mm, my HK USP 40, Colt 45 revolver, Glock 9mm, and my cheap small unrefined ugly PF9. We all took turns to see how accurate they all were at 20 yards. Guess what...PF9 smoked them all. We used human silhouette targets. We shot then returned target to mark it. Most hits in head- PF9 and most hits in chest PF9!!! Even with target ammo, the cheapest gun won.

So for anyone wanting this little gem, I highly recommend it. Sure its violent, sure its ugly, sure its cheap, sure it looks like it was made by drunk guys at Kel-Tec.

It is my little buddy now. It conceals so well, I almost have to remind myself its there. I trust it to my HK anyday. And I love my HK.

Grip it hard and it is awesome.

Maybe I got a good one. I have heard everything about these little guys, like "they are only good for 400 rounds and then throw it away!" or "to small of a caliber to be used for self protection" or "they are just not accurate" it is all a matter of what YOU feel comfortable with. I know I can draw, aim and shoot quickly and very accurately with this little cannon. Can you say that about your HUGE FULL size 45 that weighs as much as brick.

Enough of my ranting...
Muzz

Postby drpdw » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Goanra,

I'm right there with you RE: running through a couple boxes of rounds at one shooting event. I find myself running through 100 rounds of 9mms quickly unless I slow down and take the advice of a true competition shooter I met at a Glock event who told me to "make every shot count." My Beretta Neos 22LR is one of my fav target guns.

Be safe!
drpdw

Postby drpdw » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Muzz,

Glad you like your PF-9 as well! It's a great weapon and I find it accurate and reliable. What more could one ask for in a weapon?
drpdw

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols