>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec PF-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby hillside » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Just picked up my new pf9 yesterday. Shot 2 different types of ammo and the failure to eject was about 50%. The brass is lose in the chamber, but didn't eject which jammed the next shell. Also the composite casting was rough and sharp @ edges and seams. Quality control must not be very high... waiting to hear from customer service. Has no safety. Trigger pull of 1" before it fires is somewhat disconcerting unless you jerk and not squeeze. Nice light, narrow gun, but if it's going to be unreliable... the jury is still out.
hillside

Postby P-3 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Hillside,

I have had my PF-9 for almost 3 years now and it has taken a little time to get use to. The heavy pull on the trigger is the safety that you were looking for. It does take some getting use to. It is my Summer carry in a smart holster.As for the edges and seams. A little light sanding and being careful with those rough edges, it will make a big difference I even took a bicycle inner tube and cut it to fit over the grip for a more comfortable handling. As for the problem with the ejection of shells, maybe the exterior extractor is in need of some attention. Maybe a little tightening.

I have been very pleased with mine. Remember this is not a range gun but an upfront and personal defence weapon. Just a little different. Give it a litttle more time and effort, you might change your mind. IMHO.
P-3

Postby fomoco73 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:46 pm

I haven't posted in a while about my PF9, but I think everybody who owns one agrees that it's a perfect up close and personal weapon.I feel I was one of the lucky ones because mine was trouble free after fireing 500 rounds of several different types of ammo without a single mishap. But I feel there are too many out there with quality issues. After reading some of the reviews the past couple of years, the dependabailty of it does come into question, when reading that more then a few have issues. Like most people it's just my fair weather carry weapon. When ever possible my trusty Glock is at my side. All that said, unless something better in the price range comes up, I'll still carry it.
fomoco73

Postby KCOG » Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 pm

The PF-9 seems to be a good weapon if you want to learn how to be an amateur gunsmith. Fluff and buff, etc. Spend the money on a sig that goes bang every time you pull the trigger.
KCOG

Postby epwrangler » Wed May 11, 2011 9:10 am

My pf9 protects me when nothing else will.
epwrangler

Postby highplainsman » Wed May 11, 2011 10:49 am

I carry mine regularly when out of jurisdiction and in light clothing.
highplainsman

Postby svenster » Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 pm

OK, reviewed lots of guns before making my purchase. Was on the fence between a Glock 26 and Kel-Tec PF-9. I have shot both and am happy with my decision to go with the PF-9. The two qualities the PF-9 has that the Glock 26 doesn't are price and size. The Glock 26 is bigger especially the width, and costs much more. I purchased my PF-9 for 288.00 including transfer fees. Glock 26 is 549.00 retail, if you are a member of the Glock shooting association (paid membership or are military or law enforcement you can shave 100.00 off that price) First trip to the range I shot close to 150 rounds out of the PF-9. I did not clean and oil the gun first, it did malfunction quit a bit, mainly FTF. After cleaning and oiling the gun it only jammed once when I ran about 50 rounds through it. I am pleased with the function of the gun. Snappy is the best way to describe this gun. It is small and when you squeeze the trigger it has a sharp recoil. I am pleased with the accuracy of the gun as well. This gun is also the lightest subcompact 9mm available. I wear it in an ankle holster and it is comfortable. The pro concerning the Glock 26 is that it is a very comfortable and accurate gun to shoot. The Glock 26 handles the recoil as well as my S&W 910. Again it was price, size, and weight that led me to the PF-9 and I am pleased with it.
svenster

Postby rottenruss » Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Hillside, I hope you give the little gun a chance. After a little fluff and buff, some ammo testing, lots of cleaning and deburring . . .and finally, screwing on an Armalite Lazer . . . my PF-9 is as good as I hoped for one compact little gun. I reccomend putting 500 rounds through it, for starters. Skip the 147gr loads . . . and +P is for home defense only . . . you just shoot enough to know they go "bang" every time. All my malfunctions ended within 300 rounds of shooting anything. Funny, but I was sure I was going to have to build up the rear sights because my patterns were so low at 10 yds. Only to find out I had to accustom myself to the long pull and 'set' before loosing the hammer. 500 rounds wil make it, and you, get along better.
rottenruss

Postby jackwebb182 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 pm

On my 3rd Kel-Tec, a PF9. It's the best of the trio of PF11 and the P3AT. I have never ever had a jam or a malfunction. I did the deburring procedures with all 3 prior to firing them. Never a problem of any kind. When I read of all the problems here with other people I can only conclude that ammo is bad, or a lack of maintenance or a failure to deburr is the problem. If thses pistols are held lightly the slide will not function properly in any semi auto pistol. I am completely happy with all my Kel-tecs and recommend them to all my shooting friends.
jackwebb182

Postby epwrangler » Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 pm

My PF9 is not the most pleasant to shoot of the guns I own but sometimes it goes when nothing else will and it has never failed to go bang or function properly. What more could I expect from a little cheap to buy gun? I like it.
epwrangler

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols