>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Hi-Point 40/45 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Saiga12 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Bought the Hi-Point .45cal on a whim as my old 9mm Taurus was dying due to locking block 'ear breakage and aluminum slide groove gouging in the frame.

Had it since November, the sub $200.00 price was a plus but Christ, when I first saw it it looked and hefted like a brick.

However the slide was/is smooth, the trigger pull is light and phenomenal. While those with smaller hands might complain those of us with Bear Paws will love it.

Shot it and my new Saiga 12 at the range with friends last week.

My friends thought I was a trick shooter.

Within two mags... was shooting onehanded/freehand and simply hammering 12oz water bottles at 65 - 70 YARDS. When I started hitting, dancing and chasing 12 oz diet coke cans up/down and left right, right left on the same 65 -70 yard berm -like the movies-. my friends got pissed!

really it wasn't me... but it was a combination of a large set of grips, my huge hands a great trigger and a soft smooth slide recoil offering FAST, target recovery that made me look like a pro ppc shooter. I am a very good shot with my Dan Wesson 357 pistol pac but this gun .... is unreal. Love the gun, planning on buying a spare and a bunch of extra clips.
Saiga12

Postby roncodrummer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:24 am

Saiga12- I just got back from the range with my HP .40 cal. You're preaching to the choir! Took a friend up to the range with me. He stopped at The Gun Hut in E. Dubuque, IL. on the way home and bought the HP .45 cal. I will continue to urge ALL my shooting-enthusiast friends to check out the HP firearms and I will continue to buy them. Next, the HP .380 auto.
roncodrummer

Postby stickbowarchery » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:41 am

Got a Hi Point 45 JHP the other day, it is lightly used (under 10 shots) so it is basically new. Factory trigger pull on my gun came out at 5 pounds and crisp. I had gotten a clip full of jackets hollow points with the gun and ended up taking it to a safe area and firing it. The gun would shoot flawlessly but refuse to chamber the next round, each time i had to rack the slide to chamber the round. After three shots i gave up and put it away for the evening. I did some research on the weapon and found out the gun sometimes has issues with aggressive hollow points, however a ramp polishing usually fixes this. I did so and ALSO found that straightening the small fingers that touch the nose of the round a tad help in feeding. I polished the ramp, straightened those fingers a tad and ran the top of the mag over a buffing wheel reloaded the last of the 6 aggressive hollow points and had ZERO issues.

Today i took the gun out using Winchester 230gr JHP personal defense rounds bought from Walmart, shot the gun 25 times - ZERO issues. Fed each and every shot, including rapid fire. the gun is VERY easy to shoot, very easy recoil and the gun is VERY accurate!!!!

It tends to shoot just a tad (inch) high at 20 yards, but is very consistent. Trigger pull is easy and crisp. Over all VEY impressed with the gun, and with a lifetime warranty - how can you go wrong?? I would not be afraid to call this gun into a defensive situation at all....
stickbowarchery

Postby roncodrummer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:00 am

Stickbowarchery- I had the same issues with my C9 9mm and found the same results with the same adjustments you made. I have had NO issues with my JCP .40 cal. That weapon is a beast! I contacted Hi Point as to their recommendations for ammunition and was told DIRECTLY from the manufacturer to use Remington, UMC, and Blazer ammunition in 165+ gr. DO NOT USE Winchester white box, Wolf, Sliver Bear, or any Russian ammunition. When using Blazer ammo, I exclusively use brass. I am not a fan of aluminum or alloy casings. Keep posting your results and progress.
roncodrummer

Postby roncodrummer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Another great Saturday at the range with both Hi Points. Tried using Federal Champion ammo bought at WalMart in both weapons. The ammo shot flawlessly and was very inexpensive. My new range ammo. The weather is getting nicer out now, so it will be out to the back 40 acres soon for shooting. Close to home and no fees. No lines to wait for either.
roncodrummer

Postby honestbroker2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:43 am

I purchased my Hi Point .40 SW about 3 weeks ago. This is the first hand gun I have ever owned. I went on line and looked at all the postings I could find along with videos. I bought 200 rounds of Federal FMJ and went to the range yesterday. With the first 10 rounds at 25 yards 5 were in the bulls eye and the rest were in the solid red ring. I shot another 30 rounds, 5 bulls eyes and the rest in the red and one out. I was getting a little tired. I went to the 50 yard range and fired 10 rounds, 5 in the red circle the rest outside but still on the target. I'm very happy with this gun and feel I got what I was looking for.
honestbroker2

Postby roncodrummer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:56 am

@honestbroker2- Glad to hear your good luck with the .40. I can't rave enough about this weapon! I have it and the C9 9mm and a Ruger SP101 .357magnum and the Hi Point .40 cal. is my favorite. I am picking up a Ruger P95 9mm tomorrow and will post reviews of it when I get it back from the range. It has to be PERFECT to beat out my HP .40 cal. Customer service is top shelf also. I inquired about recommended ammo and was told Remington, UMC, and Blazer in 165+ gr. I found out that Federal Champion is ACTUALLY Blazer ammo. Shoots flawlessly! Keep posting your results as you get them. Welcome to Hi Point!
roncodrummer

Postby honestbroker2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 pm

Here are five Youtube video segments that prove the durability of a Hi Point:

YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXm ... F640FE7D79

YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmt5QB81 ... playnext=2

YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT Part 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT Part 3.5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HXtEvjlGg

YouTube - Hi-Point Pistols: The Ultimate Test MAN VS HI POINT Part 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKkQm5TRaWE&NR=1
honestbroker2

Postby honestbroker2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 am

It is interesting that many comment how big and heavy the Hi Point 40 and 45 are. But just by comparing the dimensions posted on this website, the Hi Point is both smaller and lighter than the Colt 1911 45ACP. That leaves ugly. But I disagree with that. Hi Point puts a very nice black finish that is both durable and appealing to look at. It is a beefy looking weapon which is a lot better than wimpy, which is the way a lot of other light weight hand guns look. If I have an intruder coming into my home, the scare factor of this weapon is important too.
honestbroker2

Postby MR40CAL » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:30 pm

I adore my hipoint 40 have carried it since the day i bought it. Most people i run into don"t seem to understand my interest in this line of guns. I tell them i like an underdog. Extremely accurate. I"m reloading now so i can get the load and accuracy spot on. I went through the normal breakin period and the gun works fantastic. i do have to look into a smaller carry piece though lol. The mag extension is really the problem. If they made a 7 or8 shot with a flush fit mag I would be thrilled.
MR40CAL

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols