>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Hi-Point C-9 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby PhantomII » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:45 pm

I have shot over 1200 rnds. through my various C9's and not had really any problem with any of the ammo (some was dirtier than others, such as Wolf) except some S&B 124gr. NATO loads. They would get stuck in the chamber and the extractor could not pull it out. I'd have to use a dowel to push the cartridge case out.

The S&B loads worked fine in my 995 Carbine though. I have shot other 124 gr. loads through the C9 along with 147 gr. loads without any problems. The NATO loads are definitely HOTTER, but I have been able to fire them in other 9mm pistols such as my Glock 22 with a Wolf Conversion barrel in it.

WWB ammo should not be any longer than any other ammo, since they are supposed to meet SAAMI standards. Since the 9mm (and most of the other Semi-Automatic rimless rounds) headspaces on the case lip. If the bullet is not seated to the specified depth, the bullet will 'jam' or partially seat itself into the lands of the barrel and thereby increase the chamber pressure, with a noticeable increase in recoil and muzzle blast.

I had one lot of Fiocchi 9mm that was that way and once the round was loaded into the chamber, you could not rack the slide back manually; it was jammed into the the lands that tightly. Fiocchi had me send the ammo back to them directly and replaced them with 'standard' production ammo.

Generally, the Hi-Point C9 will digest just about any of the 9mm ammo without fault, standard ammo that is...
PhantomII

Postby ristin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:07 am

It's great little gun for the price, they are tough.

Check out this series of videos a guy did to see what it would take to do in a Hi Point C9, everyone claims they just blow up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4
ristin

Postby Tx425 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:13 pm

What can I say...hmmm...well, heavy, clunky, fat, ugly. Wait a sec...that sounds like ME! How about... accurate, cheap, reliable, easy to use... (hmmm...sounds like ME again!)

Seriously, if someone wants something for home defense that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, this is it. It can be bought new for about $150 (with two mags). Someone earlier said it had a lot of recoil, but I disagree. The gun's mass keeps that to a minimum. That mass also improves the accuracy because the inertia limits flinching effects and keeps the muzzle steady. 9mm being the cheapest ammo out there (other than .22s) makes it affordable on almost any budget. Just don't plan on using it as a CCW. For that much weight, you might as well get a .45
Tx425

Postby PhantomII » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:23 pm

TX425;

You said it all and right on the money!

I have a Glock 22 (40S&W) that I bought a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for in 9mm. This is a matchgrade barrel. The inexpensive Hi-Point shoots just as well as the expensive Glock pistol!

But, like you said, it is a range gun and a home defense gun, not a carry weapon. It makes a good car or truck gun too!

~John
PhantomII

Postby roncodrummer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I pick up my Hi Point C9 9mm this coming Friday, Feb. 11th and I can't wait to get it to the range. Special thanks to The Gun Hut in East Dubuque, Il. for all the help. Those guys are the best!
roncodrummer

Postby sillpapa » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Just came back from the shooting range .had to try my new Hi Point C9 Luger.Now let me just say this Hi Point C9 my be ugly to some others may even say it's low cost. The truth of the matter is never judge a book by it's cover.This C9 is one hell of a gun . Thank you Hi point. This is value plus at a price worth boasting about.All I can say is WOW.
sillpapa

Postby roncodrummer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Just got back from the range with my Hi Point C9 9mm. Handles very nicely. Took a while to zero in the ghost ring sight. I ran 2 boxes of Winchester white box through it and it did jam a total of 6 times. On average, it jammed once every other magazine full. It took 2 full magazines before any jams occurred I am going to try and adjust the magazine tabs and see if that helps. All said, I'm still very happy with the firearm. Ran 2 boxes through my .40 cal Hi Point, the thing is just a beast! No problems at all. Kept the entire groupings in center bullseye and 1st inside ring. Ran a box of .357 mag through the Ruger SP101 just for good measure.
roncodrummer

Postby roncodrummer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Seeing as Hi Point recommends Remington and Blazer ammunition, I plan to run a box of each through the C9 next weekend to see if different ammo and some magazine adjustments do the trick. As stated, I'm still very pleased with the firearm. I don't feel that 6 FTF's in 100 rounds is all that alarming. I have alerted Hi Point of my findings and await their response. Will post more results after the next range test.
roncodrummer

Postby samuellee60 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:32 am

I love my c9. I trust this gun with my life. However let me caution prospective buyers of this gun. In your manual, Hi Point clearly lists the ammunition it recommends.

Let me illustrate...

I bought PMC luger and fired the first 50 rounds through it without any major problems (only one or two wouldn't feed). I bought some steel Russian 9mm Tul Ammo and went through hell trying to get ANY of it to fire. Out of 50 rounds i've had about 6 or 7 rounds actually feed into the chamber. It just will not take it.

I love my Hi Point. I am going to continue to mess around with ammunition to see what it likes best. I know this gun is bulky and ugly as hell, but if you ever run out of ammo it's one heck of a club!

No recoil, great value (you can buy them for $129 NIB) .

A lot of people say you get what you pay for. I agree, you do. But there are thousands of people like me that are perfectly fine with that, and I would trust my Hi Point just as much as any other firearm I own.

Plan on buying the .380 soon.
samuellee60

Postby wallywitness » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:02 pm

I did a side by side comparison in the shooting range between my Glock 17, SIG-Sauer 226, SIG-Sauer 2022, FNH FNP 9, Ruger P95, and the Hi-Point C9. I wanted to see how my C9 shot compared to its more expensive brothers. I was surprised to find that it was in the middle of the pack in accuracy up to 7 yards. More accurate than the Glock 17 and Ruger P95 but, the SIG 226, SIG 2022 and FNP 9 had incredibly tight groups.

I tested them by shooting 100 rounds each. I guess what I love most about the C9 is the fact that Hi-Point does not want you to open the gun until you have fired 2000 rounds thru it. All you need to do to clean it is to use CLP and run a bore snake and you are done. I actually spray my C9 with Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe every 300 rounds as well. It keeps it very clean and shooting smoothly.
wallywitness

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols