>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

HK P2000 SK Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Shig » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:57 pm

P2000SK V3 in 9mm. This is my fifth HK pistol, and all of its safemates are DA/SA variants. The SA trigger in the SK is more similar to the P30 with respect to pre-travel and reset, and less like the HK45 variants which have a shorter reset in SA. All HK DA triggers are virtually identical between the P30, USP and HK45 variants. Their double action triggers are long, heavy and very safe for concealed carry.

A couple years ago I was torn between the SK, G26 and M&Pc. I purchased the M&Pc because it had slightly more favorable dimensions for carry, larger capacity and a longer site radius. Cost was not a consideration. The M&Pc was reliable and durable, but S&W and Glock are simply not HKs when it comes to fit, finish and drool factor. I'm a man of middle-class means who appreciates the finer things when they are priced within reason. I am not a Borg who is blind to aesthetics. HKs are gorgeous, functionally superb and priced well within my means.

Comparitively speaking, the SK is slightly more accurate at longer distances and has less felt recoil than the M&Pc and G26. It accepts P30 and USPc mags, so mag capacity isn't a deal breaker when you can carry a back-up 15-rounder on your belt or stuff an SK 10-rounder in the change pocket of your jeans.

My overall impression of the SK is that it is a mini P30 with carry enhancements to the grip and mag release. It carries very well, and the DA trigger affords a level of confidence and peace of mind I never got with striker pistols such as the M&P and G26. If you spend a little time learning to roll the hammer during your press out, the DA trigger is equally as fast out of the holster and on the target as a striker pistol or SA carried in condition 1. People complain about the long reset in HK SA pistols, but my shot timer shows similar splits with the HK trigger as I've run with a Glock or M&P with Apex trigger kit.
Shig

Postby Str8Shooter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:28 pm

I got my P2000SK .40 from the manufacturer with free night sights. I got them free due to it being purchased as a law enforcement purchase but since it came with night sights from the manufacturer it is possible they will do it for anyone with a price. I'd call a HK distributor to find out. The list of distributor/dealers can be found on the HK website.
Str8Shooter

Postby nassaublue » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm

Looking at getting either a new P2000sk or a used P7. Any advice? Like the p7 because its reliable, accurate, and because you just pick it up and shot it. But it is an old gun. Wonder if its still functional. Like the P2000sk for most of the same reasons but it is lighter, has more bullets, and can supposedly eject a dude with just a pull of the trigger. Is the last point true? But to shot it in an emergency you either have to cock it and disengage the safety or walk around with it cocked, keep it on SA with the safety on.
nassaublue

Postby nassaublue » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm

Looking at getting either a new P2000sk or a used P7. Any advice? Like the p7 because its reliable, accurate, and because you just pick it up and shot it. But it is an old gun. Wonder if its still functional. Like the P2000sk for most of the same reasons but it is lighter, has more bullets, and can supposedly eject a dude with just a pull of the trigger. Is the last point true? But to shot it in an emergency you either have to cock it and disengage the safety or walk around with it cocked, keep it on SA with the safety on.
nassaublue

Postby ACPGUY » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Roughneck74, Actually I think you can get them factory now. Read Str8shooter's post. Trijicon makes a good after market night sight. Spendy though.
ACPGUY

Postby ACPGUY » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:22 pm

If you have larger hands this pistol might not be for you! I have medium sized hands and the gun is almost too small for me. My little finger sits on the mag tab that stick out forward. As a result this shoves my hand up into the botom of the trigger guard. I was worried about this at first, but now it just makes it a nice and tight coupling and is not uncomfortable. But if I had any bigger hands, it would be.
ACPGUY

Postby jobpatto » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Nassablue, the P2000 SK can be purchased with the LEM action. It is a cross between single and double action. There is no safety and the external hammer stays down. There is a very light trigger pull to get the hammer staged back and then it is in regular single action mode and the trigger does not to be re-staged unless you take your finger off. The trigger pull is 7lbs or so in that mode. It can be de-cocked and left in full DA mode with a much harder trigger pull and then it is in SA after the first shot. This is the only action I feel comfortable carrying chambered and cocked. You will probably have to try one in a gun store to understand what this action is like. The reliability is second-to-none. I have never experienced or even heard of a failure in the P2000 SK or USP 40 Compact. Hope this helps.
jobpatto

Postby babysigi » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:48 pm

This post is in response to SHIG's post. Your post leaves the impression that the P-30 and the P-2000sk DA/SA triggers are pretty much the same. For the folks that are thinking about making an investment in an H&K I don't want them to walk away after trying a P-30 trigger. All my H&Ks, except the P7, are DA/SA (more than 5:-)) and I find quite a bit of difference between the two triggers.

The P-30 has a lower weight, springy DA trigger with much more creep in SA mode. The P2000sk requires a little more effort in DA but has a cleaner more solid feel with the SA breaking clean with no real perceptible creep. The two DA/SA trigger actions, and feel, are quite different. I much prefer the P2000sk DA/SA trigger over the P-30.

Of course the German made HK45C has an even better DA/SA trigger!!
babysigi

Previous

Return to Pistols