>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

HK Heckler and Koch USP Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby outlaw54 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 pm

I have a P226 in 9mm and I find them both to have very hard D/A trigger pulls, but I agree with you to a point. The Sig I have is from the early 90's and current Sig quality is not as good as it was, still a great pistol but while Sig has gone down slightly, H&K has gotten better. They are both great pistols. I consider my Sig, H&K and new FN's to be top shelf guns as far as quality and accuracy.
outlaw54

Postby cachamelion » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Agreed. I am thinking about adding an FN to my small collection. I like the fiveseven, but I am worried about buying a gun in such an odd caliber.
cachamelion

Postby outlaw54 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:27 am

The five-Seven is a great gun. I have that, the FNP tactical and just bought an FNX 40 cal, these are some of my favorites. The 5-7 is so accurate and unique, ammo is available online for $20 per box of 50, not cheap, but what ammo is? You will not be disappointed with the Five-Seven
outlaw54

Postby cachamelion » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:39 pm

I hope that is the case. My main concerns are that I live in California, so I will not be able to order ammo through the mail in about 2 months. I wish the FNX was even an option.
cachamelion

Postby johnnyz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Shortcoming on the Sig DA/SA is that you cannot get a hard safety. You can choose production or limited competition with the H&K. Cannot understand why Sig would refuse to offer a hard safety except for the SAO pistols.
johnnyz

Postby whitehood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Outlaw, you wrote about not shooting any of your DA 45's without you cocking the hammer and how many people fire in the DA mode. This is really something everyone should know how to do and the transition from DA to SA is an important part of the skill sets necessary to fight a traditional DA pistol. You'll do as you train and when you really need the weapon in those critical 3.5 seconds that define most pistol fights, you either fumble around or attempt to cock the weapon. The outcome might just be fatal for you and it will definitely put you behind the power curve. If you have a traditional double action, you need to be competent with the DA mode. My most common concealed carry is an H&K USP 45 compact. The DA trigger is not bad but the weapon is accurate and reliable no matter what the condition.
whitehood

Postby Catalyst » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Agreed, If you carry a DA weapon.... self defense precedence suggests you should practice shooting it using both single and double action triggers... you may also find it wise to be able to shoot with both hands as primaries, allowing you to use the greatest variety of available covers. I carry a USP. Personally it has been and continues to be the best combination of accuracy, reliability and shoot-ability... but have recently had good experiences with the H&K P30. You may like that trigger a bit more. Long but lighter... and it can be had with a hard safety in one of the variants.
Catalyst

Postby outlaw54 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:07 pm

I agree with both of the posts below me, but I have shot in DA mode enough to know the feel, but I llive in a state where there is no concealed carry, so with the safety configuration, I can leave a round in the chamber safely and either keep it cocked with the thumb safety on or keep it off and leave it in D/A. Either way, I have enough practice to feel comfortable. My FN Five-Seven has the safety mounted up high on the slide where your trigger finger could flip it off and the hammer is internal, so no hang ups. Also it is S/A. If I were to carry, it would be one of my FN's, probably the Five-Seven due to it's accuracy, light weight, low recoil and high capacity.
outlaw54

Postby brp79 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:26 am

I cannot say enough good about this gun. I absolutely love it. My only wish is that it were eassier to conceal. It is super smooth and fluid. It shoots extremely tight groups, and does so with authority. Very little recoil IMHO for the size of the round. Easy to get back on target, very comfortable gun to hold.

I am considering getting a 9mm HK as well after buying the .45, to futher diversify my collection.
brp79

Postby zerwas.pat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:58 pm

So i can buy this gun for $475 its used is that a good deal? this will be my first handgun i have been looking for a px4, glock 23, then i ran into this gun i dont know much about it tho. should i snach this gun up before someone else?
zerwas.pat

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols