>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

HK Heckler and Koch USP Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby bcjwriter » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:06 pm

I just picked up a USPc 45. I'm adjusting to it, but I'm not 100% settled into it yet. I just bought some Meprolights, a Don Hume holster, and some base pads for the magazines.

From everything I see from this forum, I'm sure I'll love it. I'm carrying it at y desk and CCW, so far not issues.

For those of you in CA who are complaining about these being in short supply, Calif. Police Equip in San Diego has a whole bunch of them for civilians and cops. (I was just in there today, and had to use one of theirs when looking for a holster for my USPc.)

Looking forward to more reviews and I can post a more educated rating once I've carried it for a while.
bcjwriter

Postby johnnyz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 am

I may be repeating myself, but I did have a FTF issue when I first got the USPc in 45 ACP. Magtech ammo only. I had purchased a number (8-10?)of various mfg's 45's and the pistol would not go into battery with Magtech. Calipers indicated that the bullet diameter was about 5/1000 larger than everything else which expanded the brass to the point where it would not load without additional pressure.

I notified Magtech, so they sent me about 50 rounds at no charge which I promptly threw out.

Following the Magtech issues, I have fired about 1500 White Box, several+p loads and about 2000 bench load 230 grain FMJ without a single failure of anykind.
johnnyz

Postby lrgcal4fun » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:16 pm

johnnyz,

I have had a similarity issue with the USPc in 45. Only in my case it was some of my hand loaded ammo. It fed great in my Glock but the HK would occasionally fail to fully chamber a round. After I calipered the ammo I discovered that several rounds were a few thousandths out of speck. HK apparently makes their chambers on the tight side.

All the more reason to test a box or two of your defensive ammo before trusting your lift to it. All in all, I consider the USPc a grate defense pistol and recommend it highly.
lrgcal4fun

Postby Madtahder » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:53 pm

I haven't ran into to any feed problems yet with my USP 40 and mine is second hand too! My Department reissued me a prior Officer's weapon after he retired. And the prior posts are right my Dept. Is very cheap! We got a good deal on the H&Ks! LoL! And to the other posts I'm personally not a fan of Glocks not that they are bad guns its the fact that you have to PULL THE TRIGGER!!! To break them down!!! Its not a problem if you unload the weapon! But people make mistakes and forget! I can break down my H&K with a round chambered! And don't fear blowing my foot off!
Madtahder

Postby cachamelion » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Does anyone know how many magazines a HK USP comes with when it is factory new? Thinking about buying one, but one of the things I have noticed is that factory mags are crazy expensive
cachamelion

Postby outlaw54 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:20 am

The USP USED to come with 3 of the finger grip mags, which sell for $79, but I think many guns now come with one. FN is one of the few that still come with 3. I have at least 10 aftermarket mags that work great, I think they are ProMags, but they say H&K on them and yes they run about $37 each like most mags seems to. Go to Cheaper than Dirt, the factory vs non factory you save about $13 per mag
outlaw54

Postby lrgcal4fun » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:31 pm

I bought mine a year ago, a USPc in 45, and it came with two 8 rd. mags.
lrgcal4fun

Postby cachamelion » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Fired one at the range the other day. The gun is very accurate, however I am not a big fan of the trigger. The double action pull is way too long in my opinion. I was thinking of buying one before I shot it, and now I am glad that I was able to test it first. I will not be buying this gun.
cachamelion

Postby outlaw54 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 pm

Most DA triggers on the market have a difficult pull, but how many people fire in that mode? I don't think I shoot any of my .45's (Sig, H&K, FN) without the hammer back. It has a great safety and decocker that most models do not have. This is one of the finest non 1911's on the market and H&K quality is 2nd to none. What model would you buy in it's place that has a better D/A trigger???
outlaw54

Postby cachamelion » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:43 pm

I strongly prefer my Sig Sauer P239 .40. It has a far better DA trigger, and also has a decocker. I actually think that Sigs are far better quality. This, of course, is merely an opinion as I am not arguing the quality of HK, just that I do not like the DA trigger. As far as not shooting in double action often, I always fire my first shot in double action.
cachamelion

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols