>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 23 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:24 pm

Hi Twillie and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new purchase! If youre like the rest of us, you just purchased a friend for life. I own several firearms and my Glock will be the first gun I pick up when all hell breaks loose! Let us know what you think of your new investment after you get back from the range. I know youre going to love it!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby namara » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:44 pm

WW,

From the city that Penn built a long time ago,that cradled a new nation a cracked a bell in celebration.

Namara

TIG ...congrats on the new gun ;-)
namara

Postby 5ring » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:02 am

Does anyone have a Lasermax internal laser in their gun? Ive been thinking of getting one for my G23. Ive also talked to my department armorer about letting me put one in my issue G22. He passed the buck to our Cheif. The laser is supposed to replace the recoil rod and spring and be aligned by the frame of the weapon. The manufacturer says they +- 2 of point of aim at 20yds. Has anyone tried one of these?

5ring
5ring

Postby biggestdogg » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:47 am

I was thinking on buying the g-23 but i have never owned a 40 cal. before. I have always carried 45 (g-21,g-30). All i have hurd bad about the g-23 was the recoil. Every glock i have owned has been wonderful and like evryone says you cant beat them. I am just a little nervous about going down to the 40. Could someone please let me know what they think about the differance between the 2 are?THANX
biggestdogg

Postby 5ring » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:10 pm

Biggestdogg,

The main differences between .40 and .45 are velocity and cost of ammo from a practical standpoint. The FBI stats show there is no real difference between the two in first round take-downs. (Lets face it nobodys gonna shoot an assailant just once anyway.) The .40 has a higher velocity and you can carry more of them. I personally think the velocity of the .40 makes up for its smaller size. The .45 is bigger, yes, but the bullet is so slow you can jump out of the way at 50yds (just kidding, but Im sure youve seen your.45s flying downrange before). The G23 has no more recoil than a 1911, certainly less than a compact 1911 variant. Save money on bullets and carry more of them. Buy the .40 is my opinion.
5ring

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:56 pm

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballist ... letwgt=180

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballist ... letwgt=230

Hey Dog,

Hopefully you can link to these two websites I found for you. If they dont work you can go to FederalCartridge.com and download their ballistics chart. Great info and itll confirm the info that 5Ring just gave you. This info is a comparison of Federals Hydra Shock defense ammo and it will show you the big differences in the two rounds. Ive got a G23 and a Colt Series 70 1911. I love them both but in a dogfight Id pick my Glock if I had to choose. Believe me, the .40 is no slouch, its a serious player!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:20 pm

I just noticed something interesting. If you compare the rounds by grain weight of the bullet they are ballistically identical +/- a few feet or pounds. With more information like that you could make your decision by simple preference in weapons. The only difference being cost per round as 5Ring mentioned earlier.

tigwelder56

Postby biggestdogg » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:11 am

Thanx for the imfo Tig and 5. I was just not sure on the nock down power of the 40 cal. I have always carried the 45 for the past 12 years and have never had to use my weapon on or off duty. I just found the new homeland defence package (g-23)at my local store and it looks sweet. It comes with night sights and the tac. light and extended slide realease and the extended mag release. What an awesome package. Thanx again!
biggestdogg

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:46 pm

5Ring, I was shopping and came across this listing for the Lasermax youre interested in. Dont know if this is a better price than youve been quoted but I thought you might like to check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LASERMAX-GUN-SIGHT- ... dZViewItem

tigwelder56

Postby cdbruster » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:48 am

I own a model 23 (22 and 27 as well) and the 23 is my concealed carry pistol. I think glocks are fine handguns however, I dont care for the factory sights. I equip all of mine with Meprolight Night Sights. In regards to the .40 vs .45 ballistics, the .40 is a more powerful round. As many of you know energy is calculated as velocity squared times mass. A slight sacrifice in weight for a gain in velocity will most always increase the bullets energy. Now in regards to stopping power the .45 is still a contender because of its ability to transfer its energy to its target. a .40 with a muzzle energy of 425 foot pounds may only transfer 65-70% of its energy. The .45 with a muzzle energy of 380 foot pounds will transfer 90-95% of its energy. We actually found this in a College Physics Class / Lab when I was an Engineering Student. I understand that Federals Hydroshock (especially in the 165 - 180 grain) JHP has increased the energy transferrence for the .40 up to nearly 85%. 5 hundredths of an inch (.40 - .45) may not seem like a lot but in regards to surface area, its huge. Regards everyone...
cdbruster

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols