>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 21 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby snuffysmith » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:24 pm

I just purchased one of these handguns yesterday. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, but my initial judgement of the gun is good. I dont have large hands, but I can hold a firm grip on it without trouble. It is lighter than I imagined, and I like that it holds 13 rounds of the hard-hitting 45 ACP. As soon as I am able to get a range day in, then I will be able to give it a proper rating.
snuffysmith

Postby Rescuelurch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Just a bit of info I recently learned and was quite pleased. I was loosing some of my accuracy with my beloved Glock 21. I ended up doing a search for a new barrel as when I looked down mine, It was getting really badly scored. I found a place called EFK Firedragon and as I was looking at the shiny new barrels, I saw something that got my attention. It was a conversion barrel for the 21 for a Corbon 400. I decided to call them and ask about it and get some info on the replacement options as well. The owners name is Frank and he was plenty informative. The Corbon 400 is pretty much a 45 casing tapered down to a 40 caliber projectile. It looks like the big brother to the .357 sig round. Short story of it is I ended up getting a replacement 45 barrel with porting and extesion and a prted Corbon 400 extended and ported as well.

Well The ammo for the Corbon is a bit hard to find, and a bit pricey, but not out of this world.

Little did I know when I ordered this puppy, how really nice this barrel would be. The first thing is, it drops in with little effort. From the first round I fired, I knew I was going to take a liking to it, big time! I was keeping 3" groups at 15 yards without any effort. I did have a bit of a feed problem and once again called Frank and he told me what to do and that fixed it. It has one heck of a punch and I found out later they use a powder not available to the public yet. So if you normally do your own loading, this might not be for you. If you want your Glock 21 to have an extra punch without anything but changing the barrel, you may want to get one of these. You can check them out at EFKfiredragon.com and take a look. If you have any questions, give them a call. Either Frank or his daughter Franki(hard to remember names) and ask away. They are really nice people with info to spare. If you want to look at the ammo for it, visit Corbon's website Dakotaammo.net.
Rescuelurch

Postby snuffysmith » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:43 pm

I finally got to shoot my G21 last week. My shots were all over the paper, but I'm chalking that up to it being a new gun and that I haven't shot a .45 before. I was glad to see that the recoil was less than what I thought it was going to be. The gun shot everything I put through it, which is what I've heard about Glock. I believe that if I can keep up the practice, I will get more accurate. But, I will definitely have this gun for a long time.
snuffysmith

Postby pslater » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:08 am

Ok, I'm not LEO or military but I've been around guns for 35 years. After a 25 year hiatus from shooting I bought a Glock 21 SF as a protection weapon. Realizing that I knew NOTHING about tactical shooting, I enrolled with a friend in a Front Sight 4 day defensive pistol course. Almost every other gun in our group of 42 students sufferd a malfunction at some time or another. On average, these 42 students fired 600 rounds each over four days. So over +/- 24,000 rounds fired, I never saw a malfunction in a Glock. I saw them in Colts (one of the instructor's guns!), Sig's, XD's, etc.

At one of our lunch lectures, A Front Sight instructor said he had put 280,000 (no that's not a typo!) rounds through his Glock....without ever cleaning it!! He had to replace the barrel and he broke a trigger spring, both of which he replaced.

What's the one thing you want any gun to do when you pull it in anger? Fire!

My 21 SF fit's my hand perectly, shoots 2"-3" groups off hands at 10 yds time after time. Spend 2X to 10X the money and if you're one of the guys who has the genetic and parctice gifts it takes to win National level competions, maybe you'll see a difference. If you want a concealed carry or personal defense weapon, IMHO, you can't do better tah Glock.

And no, I dion't work for Glock nor was I paid for this review.
pslater

Postby Rescuelurch » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:20 pm

pslater, first and foremost, I am not an expert on weapons, and carry one with me as much as I wear shoes. I own three Glocks, one of which is the prior model to yours, the Glock 21. I don't find it hard to believe in the least that that person shot that many rounds without cleaning it. I prefer not to do that, but that is my choice. The nice thing about that is if you don't get a chance to clean it after hitting the range, it will hit what you aim at if need be before you clean it.

The one thing I would mention, and please don't take this to heart, but I was always taught not to fire any weapon in anger. That is what seems to get people in trouble. I prefer to use the word necessary. Once again, this my and my opinion only. After going through one of those particular courses, I would think you would be firing through reflex and not have a chance to make it to angry.

In any case, Glocks are fine all around weapons. I prefer to carry a Smith & Wesson M&P 40 caliber. That is just my choice. Rest assured though, I still carry a Glock without hesitation as well.

Good luck and stay safe!
Rescuelurch

Postby pslater » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Rescuelurch, thanks for the reply. I agree with your comments on the Glocks and I clean mine regularly too.

Regarding the Front Sight course I took, I was very impressed with the instructors and the first day's lunch lecture was on 'Moral and Ethical Decisions on the Use of Deadly Force'. Throughout the four day class we were taught again and again that the last thing you EVER want to do is fire your weapon in anger. We were also taught that you have to have decided IN ADVANCE what conditions/situations would cause you to fire your weapon.

Additional topics were 'if it's not worht fighting for or dying for, it's probably not worth shooting.' I don't know if you saw the video interview with the young man who helped wrestle the Tucson shooter to the ground but it was excellent. He had a CCW permit and a gun in his possession. He said he came running out of the WalGreen's ready to shoot the assailant "...but I didn't HAVE to."

Front Sight's message in a nutshell is "don't shoot unless you absolutely have to but if you do, hit what you're shooting at with the first round (and others if needed)."
pslater

Postby Rescuelurch » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:48 pm

See, different circumstances require a different thought process. In my case, I am disabled. Snails lap me in short races! When they time me in a foot race, they use a calender! That being said, I would have evaluated the scene and if I was able to shoot, or in fact needed to shoot without hitting someone, well.... Of course it would have been nice if someone would have shot him before he inflicted so much damage.

The biggest problem with that particular situation is not being able to see the future. Before his first shot, who would have known he was going to keep pulling the trigger? Of course, having a high cap mag would have given you a pretty good idea.

Last of all, you will never know how you will feel after you take a life. You can imagine all you want, but until you have done it, only then will you truly know. I will add one thing, it is much easier to see someone who just tried killing a member of your family lying dead than a member of your family! You can trust me on that. Stay safe!
Rescuelurch

Postby holtzd56 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:24 am

I've had my Glock for about 16 months now. I replaced the stock barrel with a Wolf match grade barrel, and a stainless steel guide rod and spring from The Glock Store. Both were drop in, no adjustments. May be me, but less muzzle flip and tighter groups. Had over 500 rounds prior to the change and after 50, no problems with factory loads. Only problem was with reloads as stated in earlier post.
holtzd56

Previous

Return to Pistols