>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 36 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Rerun201 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:10 pm

@csdunbar

I've tried some of the after market mag extensions (Pearce and some other brand I don't recall off hand) for my G36. Have to say I didn't care for them and switched back to the stock floor plate. I'd say I have average size hands (large glove size). They do add more space to grip the pistol, but for me it felt like it was actually looser and harder to control with these. My hand seems to fit very snuggly up to the rear of the trigger guard without the mag extension which makes things feel a bit more solid.

Your experience may vary.
Rerun201

Postby Rerun201 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:08 pm

My review of the Glock 36.

This pistol was purchased for me as a retirement gift by my family. I wanted this .45 as I have been familiar with Glock pistols for about 15-20 years when the department transitioned from S&W revolvers to Glock 9s, then 40s. Essentially, I'd carried a Glock everyday for the past 2 decades and felt that I didn't need to change.

I went with the 36 as I no longer felt the need to have high capacity capability now that I am retired - I need what I need to protect me an mine, not the public. My son had one of the Glock double stack .45s and I do not care for the way they fit my hand. The single stack Glcok does me just fine. About the same size as a .38 snubby overall, and a round or two more in capacity.

Recoil is a bit more than the 9s and 40s, but nothing that isn't manageable for a person my size (230 lbs).

What I really like about this piece is the concealability of a pistol of this caliber. I have carried this in a Bianchi Shadow for a while, but now primarily carry it in a Tucker Texas Heritage IWB. This is comfortable and totally concealed with just a camp shirt. I also have an ankle holster (Bianchi Ranger Triad) for this pistol just in case I need to go with a tucked in shirt (The Texas Heritage is a tuckable holster and I use it that way when I'm not wearing a polo shirt).

I would like it if Glock would produce a .45 in full 1911 size - 5 inch barrel, 7 0r 8 shot single stack magazine.
Rerun201

Postby GOANRA » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:13 pm

I was looking fof a CC 45 & tried the G36, but found the grip to large for the concealment I wanted. I love Glocks, but they are not for pocket carry.

I ended up with a taurus PT745, which has a much smaller grip than the G36. I just can't use the IWB carry comfortably and 7 rnds suits my 'comfort zone'.

For me, its always the 'grip' that prints & gives me concealment problems.

I've had many duty Glocks, including the G21, & really loved them, though. Lightweight reliability!! I still like the G36.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby mgibbons » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 pm

This is a great CCW gun. Have shot 500 rounds without any problems what so ever. Would recommend this gun without hesitation. I carry this gun and at different times the Glock 23,27,30,33 all fine weapons.
mgibbons

Postby PaulGuy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Had the opportunity to put 50 rounds of 230 gr FMJ through one of these today and I just love it. Shoots well, easy to handle, the single stack grip fits my hands better than the 30. Concealable, light to carry, 45 acp. What more is there? Like it much better than my G23. Want one.

Well what do you know? Got one! Great gun.
PaulGuy

Postby chuckroast » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:21 pm

I agree, great gun, and a lot of power in a gun that can be somewhat concealed. It is still way too big for some carry situations. I found some good reviews of some better options at:

www..pocket-defense.com
chuckroast

Postby Rerun201 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:24 pm

I have no problems carrying the 36 in just about any circumstance. I've carried mine IWB, belt holster, ankle holster and in the pocket of my cargo shorts with no trouble at all. If you compare it to a snubby revolver, they are just about the same length, width and height - just different designs. The 36 is not what I'd call a "pocket" rocket, but it is certainly easily concealed.

Anyone else here besides me want to see Glock make a full size single stack .45 ACP? I would buy one in a heartbeat!
Rerun201

Postby 1911ES » Sun May 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Yes, I'd like to see a Glock single-stack in a commander size .45 ... possibly with a 4" barrel. I'm still looking into the 36 in the meantime.

Concealable powerhouse !
1911ES

Postby GOANRA » Sun May 02, 2010 6:57 pm

I near got one, but went with a thinner model. The Glock trigger worried me some, but with a Fobus type paddle holster, just slip on over the belt, for easy on/off would tuck it in close & would make it a very safe carry.

For me, the 36 just had too much grip for me to conceal. Maybe it was the square shape + the way I'm made. [??]

I'd make sure I got a post-recall unit, though... or a serial # with a "1-xxxxxxx". The "1-" means it was fixed by Glock & zero problem for me.

I had a G-31 recalled [Glock doesn't use the term recall] & it performed flawlessly with the new upper.

You can do a search on 'Glock 36 recall', and the applicable ser nos are available.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Rerun201 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:42 pm

@goanra

Not sure what concerns you about the Glock trigger, but having carried one for longer than I can imagine, I can assure you there is nothing to be concerned about. I've fired a few thousand rounds through 9mm, .40 cal and .45 call versions. It won't go boom until you pull it. Never saw the trigger snag on a holster as long as the holster was made for the piece.

I know I prefer other triggers to the Glock's (SW M99 or Beretta PX4), but the Glock design works well.

BTW, I'm originally from Wichita/Derby. Derby and Mulvane still in the same hs athletic conference?
Rerun201

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols