>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Magnum Research Desert Eagle Mark XIX Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby caleb319 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:23 am

Just got this gun and I love it. I live in Kodiak Alaska where the bears are the size of busses. It really doesnt kick as bad as you would think. And I am not some huge guys either. 5' 8" 165lbs. Very fun to shoot. The only real down fall is when it kicks out the shells they come right at your face not up in the air over my right shoulder like most semi-autos. Just takes a liltte getting used too.
caleb319

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:27 am

Caleb, hello and welcome to the forum! You and I are on seperate ends of the Earth, lol! From your story I think you need a sidearm big enough to handle those bears. They're definitely the size of a tank and you'll need something as big as a tank to take them out! You didn't mention what caliber you purchased. Let me know when you get a chance. I would recommend you take your pistol into a gunsmith and explain the trouble you're having with the ejected shells. They can tune the extractor and improve the throw.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby billdeserthills » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 pm

I just love my Deagle, it's a 44 so I can use the many extended magazines I have for it, they hold 10 rounds. Only drawback is I open carry mine and get a lot of "Mister, your magazine is falling out". As I posted earlier, the Magna-Port job I had done on mine allows me to shoot way more accurately, since the barrel doesn't end up pointing at the ceiling on my second shot any longer! I just ordered a "Dirty Harry" shoulder holster, but it's gonna take like 6 months to be done...
billdeserthills

Postby PorscheTech911 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Don't take your Eagle to a gunsmith! The reason it ejects the shell to your face is because you are limp-wristing the gun. If you do not have a firm grasp on the gun as it fires it will twist like the bolt of an M-16. When this happens if you are not holding the pistol right it will eject cases into you instead of away. It takes practice to get used to, but is normal. I think you need to do way more research on the Eagle to understand how it works. Impulse buys like this without knowing anything about them is a bad idea and usually leads to me being able to buy a cheaper used one at the shop :D
PorscheTech911

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:17 pm

911, aren't you simply assuming that his problem is limp wristing? Do you know for sure that it is improper gun control? Chances are good since he refers to the ejection patterns of "most other" semi autos that he does indeed have additional firearm experience. I mentioned the possibility of ejector tuning because I have a Colt 1911 that did the same thing. My gunsmith did his magic on it and the ejection angle was corrected. Secondly, what gave you the impression that Caleb purchased this on an impulse and did so without knowing anything about it? Until I know better, I don't assume that these members have less gun knowledge than I do and when (or if) I do, I don't find fault with them because of it. It's better to share knowledge and provide solutions than it is to find fault without justification. Just my .02 cents...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby billdeserthills » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:29 am

911 you should Not stop posting the truth, I would rather hear the Facts than somebody being polite. I know I'll learn more in a moment of Truth than an hour of small talk!
billdeserthills

Postby caleb319 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks Tig, on Magnum Researches website I did read it is a common problem of the the shells coming back at you (it was listed on the FAQ's link.) I have the .50 cal.

And by the way, I did do my research. I researched for almost a year before making the commitment to the D Eagle .50 cal. I knew the shells coming back at you was a issue before I got the gun but I couldnt work on correcting it until I actually fired the weapon. I am not saying I know a lot about guns, I am actually just getting in to owning them, but I do deal with them a lot at work being that I am in the military. But thanks anyway for the advice 911.
caleb319

Postby billdeserthills » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:31 pm

All Right Caleb,

Now you just need to get the barrel Magna-Ported, so you can do a "Spray&Pray" on those bears!
billdeserthills

Postby outlaw54 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:40 pm

I just bought a used Desert Eagle in .44 magnum for $900 from a dealer, I think I got a good deal? I have several pistols in virtually every other caliber, but nothing like this monster! I am still waiting for the paperwork in Maryland before I can pick it up, but I had a few questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can get an owners manual? This gun only had a huge scope on top of it, no case or owners manual.

2) I think it is Nickel finish, but I can't tell what year or model it is? It is not marked VII of XIX. Was there any models in between? It doesn't look like it is very old. When did the model XIX production begin and when did VII end?

3) I noticed the slide release is very "slim". My large thumb seems to slide right off it as the release spring seems pretty stiff too. Do all Desert Eagles have this issue and can I buy a larger slide release?
outlaw54

Postby billdeserthills » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Hiya Outlaw, How good a deal would really depend on what scope is on your gun, I think if you're happy that is all ya need. You can get an instruction manual from Magnum Research. They have sent them to me in the past. The manual should incorporate the three? different models, so's you can figure out which yours is. As far as the slide release goes, I haven't ever seen an aftermarket one.

Just to make you feel good, I paid $600 for my .44 Mag Desert Eagle, it was NIB, still had packing grease/cosmoline on it!
billdeserthills

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols