>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Beretta 80 Series Cheetah Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby hemiram » Sat May 05, 2007 4:02 am

I've owned, and stupidly sold all of them, 2 Beretta 84's and it's near twin, the Browning BDA380. They are great guns, all were perfect and I made money on all three, but I really wish I had the BDA back, it was brand new appearing, and in perfect shape when I sold it. All three ate anything I put into them, and all of the few FTFs were due to bad ammo, the guns themselves were amazing.
hemiram

Postby jeff6 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:52 pm

I have a Cheetah 87 .22 cal. and absolutely love it! Right out of the box it performed perfectly. I've lost count of how many rounds I've put through it and I've NEVER had a single problem. It is an incredibly beautiful gun with gorgeous blueing and walnut grips. I like this one so much I almost bought the .380 version but couldn't justify the hefty price a second time. The price of this pistol is my only complaint but I have to say, it has been worth every penny. I give it a 5 out of 5.
jeff6

Postby Robert78 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:06 am

Robert78

Postby wigy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:42 pm

i traded my PPK .380 for a Beretta 87BB, it jamed abaut 6 times, the round din't feed but i think its because i just got it and i din't clean it before using it, im still very happy with it. I have cleaned it and dont expect any more feed jams. As far as acurasy, i shot 100 rounds with out cleaning it and the acurasy and shot group is one of the best. I reomed this pistol to any one that wants an acurate pistol.
wigy

Postby CPrinzivalli » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:30 pm

I just purchased a model 87 short barrel last week...Had a hard time finding one...I thought it'd be a good compliment for my other 9mm Beretta's (a 90-Two and a Px4)...But it jams constantly...I have not had one successful magazine, yet...The rounds seem to not elevate prplerly into the chamber from the magazine...I'm planning to send it back to Beretta for service...I'll repost on its condition when it returns...
CPrinzivalli

Postby Sharpaxe » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Easy to maintain, a snap to clean, the .380 round is just about perfect for close, e.g. bedroom, quarters. This pistol suffers a bit from having an open slide. The reduced slide mass results in higher slide recoil velocity. Together with the short grip, it results in accuracy that is best suited to five meters or less (see the bedroom comment). At any rate, in this state a lethal round from more than that range might complicate application of the "make my day" laws.
Sharpaxe

Postby CPrinzivalli » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:21 pm

OK...Got my 87 back from Beretta and it works GREAT!..They replaced the magazines and polished the ramp...I've been using different brands of ammo and all seem to work fine...

The 87 is small yet manageable and along with a safety that is easy to reach and disengage would make this gun ideal for Conceled Carry...The 80 series has a safety that, when engaged, will not allow the slide to be opened...It also will not fire a round without the magazine...And the overall quality is superb...

Field stripping is easy, and disassembling is just like its bigger brother, the 92, but getting it back together is a little trickier...Just takes some getting used to...

Beretta currently makes a few different 80-series models...

The 84 is a .380 with a 10 or 13 count staggered magazine and thicker grips...The 85 is a .380 with an 8 count magazine and thinner grips...And the 87 is a .22lr with a 7 count magazine...The 84 and 85 models are also available with a polished nickel finish (Models 84fs and 85fs respectively)..

Would highly recommend this pistol as an alternative to the PPK/S which has been receiving poor reviews...Its a similar size and much more accurate and reliable...
CPrinzivalli

Postby Captexas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:38 pm

I picked up an 84FS (380auto) with the 13 round capacity recently and love it. It is like a mini version of the Beretta 92 but actually has the same size grip when side by side. I've been to the range a few times and put a few hundred rounds of different brands of ammo through it with no issues.

This is my first handgun. I had been looking for a smaller sized gun, but didn't like the short grips of many of the compacts I came across. While the 84 is probably not a true compact, it is still easier to conceal if needed. When I picked this one up at the gun show, it just felt perfect in my hand. I know there are many guns that are less expensive, but it was worth it.

I do have a question for other 84 owners out there, what holsters are you using?
Captexas

Postby jessp » Wed May 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Can anyone refer me to a good site to buy replacement parts for the 380? Specifically safety parts, a friend has a gun that has not been fired since Hurricane Andrew and the safey has stopped working properly.
jessp

Postby mikesvilla » Sat May 15, 2010 1:03 pm

To Jessp: I just bought a Beretta 85f nickel and wanted to know also where to buy parts if ever needed. I found out through Beretta corp. that Brownells is the go to place for all Beretta parts. Beretta told me that there converting all part sales to this company. They have a complete brakedown and partslist on all Beretta firearms.
mikesvilla

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols