>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Beretta 92 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby aaron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:38 pm

i herd these guns have a tendency to blow up is that tru
aaron

Postby IEDmagnet » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:41 am

Whenever I see a picture of this gun all it brings back are bad memories. The cheap aftermarket magazines the Army issues is largley to blame but well get to that in a second. The only Berreta 92s Ive seen for sale in the civilian market have a plastic guide rod instead of a metal one, no big deal, its not a high stress component. The bluing on these guns are by far the worst Ive ever seen, fire a couple hundred rounds through it and you can already see the finish start to come off the barrel, no big deal, its a tool not a trophy. Heres where the problem starts. The locking block located under the barrel moves up and down everytime the slide is moved back, this causes a lot of wear on this important peice. After serious usage that locking block wears out and your trusty ol 92 will go from perfectly operating to malfunction ( slide failes to go completely forward or lock) after malfunction it seems almost instantly. In a perfect world proper mantainance will catch a worn part but if this was a perfect world you wont have to stake your life on shooting a threatening entity. This is unacceptable in my opinion because when your on the outskirts of Baghdad doing a patrol and some vigalante farmer starts popping off rounds or a rabid dog is sprinting your way you may want more than one round quickly at your disposal. No adjustable sights and its rather large size is also annoying. If you just have to have one buy only Berreta magazines. Aftermarket magazines tend to want to not feed the rounds upwards when not meticulasly clean because the tightly packed double stack magazine may be fouled easily with dirt or sand. When this happens the slide will go forward when firing a few rounds then the rounds will get stuck where they are in the magazine, not moving upward like they should. The slide will go forward even though a round is not in the chamber because the magazine block is not activating the slide stop. I remember many times firing my weapon thinking please God let a round be in the chamber BANG , please God let a round be in the chamber BANG! Im also plauged with memories of our platoons 240 gunners cleaning out their mags and having to dig rounds out with a leatherman. The recoils not bad, the accuracy is ok . Plus I like the saftey feature of the extractor sticking out the side when you have a round loaded in the chamber. Ease of use make this gun fun to take to the range, but thats the only place Id EVER take it.
IEDmagnet

Postby IEDmagnet » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:41 am

Whenever I see a picture of this gun all it brings back are bad memories. The cheap aftermarket magazines the Army issues is largley to blame but well get to that in a second. The only Berreta 92s Ive seen for sale in the civilian market have a plastic guide rod instead of a metal one, no big deal, its not a high stress component. The bluing on these guns are by far the worst Ive ever seen, fire a couple hundred rounds through it and you can already see the finish start to come off the barrel, no big deal, its a tool not a trophy. Heres where the problem starts. The locking block located under the barrel moves up and down everytime the slide is moved back, this causes a lot of wear on this important peice. After serious usage that locking block wears out and your trusty ol 92 will go from perfectly operating to malfunction ( slide failes to go completely forward or lock) after malfunction it seems almost instantly. In a perfect world proper mantainance will catch a worn part but if this was a perfect world you wont have to stake your life on shooting a threatening entity. This is unacceptable in my opinion because when your on the outskirts of Baghdad doing a patrol and some vigalante farmer starts popping off rounds or a rabid dog is sprinting your way you may want more than one round quickly at your disposal. No adjustable sights and its rather large size is also annoying. If you just have to have one buy only Berreta magazines. Aftermarket magazines tend to want to not feed the rounds upwards when not meticulasly clean because the tightly packed double stack magazine may be fouled easily with dirt or sand. When this happens the slide will go forward when firing a few rounds then the rounds will get stuck where they are in the magazine, not moving upward like they should. The slide will go forward even though a round is not in the chamber because the magazine block is not activating the slide stop. I remember many times firing my weapon thinking please God let a round be in the chamber BANG , please God let a round be in the chamber BANG! Im also plauged with memories of our platoons 240 gunners cleaning out their mags and having to dig rounds out with a leatherman. The recoils not bad, the accuracy is ok . Plus I like the saftey feature of the extractor sticking out the side when you have a round loaded in the chamber. Ease of use make this gun fun to take to the range, but thats the only place Id EVER take it.
IEDmagnet

Postby IEDmagnet » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:42 am

IEDmagnet

Postby SouthernDem » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:12 pm

You probably didnt buy an m9, the desc. you read online was either written with the Crime Bill in mind or was written with regard to a state that still has mag restrictions. Seeing as the Crime Bill is no longer a factor, unless you live in a state that restricts mag cap your 92 should come with 15 rnd mags.
SouthernDem

Postby SouthernDem » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 pm

You probably didnt buy an m9, the desc. you read online was either written with the Crime Bill in mind or was written with regard to a state that still has mag restrictions. Seeing as the Crime Bill is no longer a factor, unless you live in a state that restricts mag cap your 92 should come with 15 rnd mags.
SouthernDem

Postby SouthernDem » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:13 pm

SouthernDem

Postby 5ring » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:48 pm

Carried the M9 in the USMC and as a police officer. Carried the 92D also. Was issued a brand new 92D for the police academy. Barrel was bent from the factory. 1 left at 3yd line. Off the paper to the left by the 25yd line. Got a replacement and it was dead-on. The M92 is a dream to shoot. Smooth and precise with very little recoil.
5ring

Postby sprinklebum » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:57 pm

I have owned the Beretta FS92 stainless for several years now and have fired several thousand rounds without a single problem. It has low recoil from this 9mm, is very accurate, a bit heavy, a very nice looking pistol, with a good parts fit, a bit hard on the first pull :-), with a great balance in my hand. Would be nice to have a carry model available. The FS92 and the 1911 remain my favorite two firearms. Please remember when Pelozi, Schumer, Kennedy and others try to totally collect all your weapons, the PRIMERS are what you will need the most. Not the bullets, cases or even the powder. Think PRIMERS.
sprinklebum

Postby sprinklebum » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:57 pm

I have owned the Beretta FS92 stainless for several years now and have fired several thousand rounds without a single problem. It has low recoil from this 9mm, is very accurate, a bit heavy, a very nice looking pistol, with a good parts fit, a bit hard on the first pull :-), with a great balance in my hand. Would be nice to have a carry model available. The FS92 and the 1911 remain my favorite two firearms. Please remember when Pelozi, Schumer, Kennedy and others try to totally collect all your weapons, the PRIMERS are what you will need the most. Not the bullets, cases or even the powder. Think PRIMERS.
sprinklebum

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols