>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

taurus 44

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

taurus 44

Postby damnshot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:29 pm

How is the best way to get your money back when you are not satisfied with their service? I can not get it super clean.Barrel look smuged and since it has been back once, I just don't want to mess with it anymore. It just is not right after even having it cleaned professionally. Judge for Sale
damnshot

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Would you better describe what you mean by a smudged barrel? Are you talking inside or out? The Judge is a totally different firearm. There are subtle changes made to the barrel and rifling to better handle both .45LC and the .410 shot loads. You may be seeing something that was designed into the gun!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby damnshot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:15 pm

The smudges are inside the barrel. It just doesn't look clean no matter what you do. Is this normal? Does it get better with age or is it going to be a problem down the road? Compared to most other guns the taurus is dull, smudged and looks dirty.
damnshot

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:04 pm

I've got a few thoughts, as well as a few questions. First, I've shot the Judge using both .45LC and .410 loads. I had great results from both. The .45LC was absolutely accurate enough to serve well as a self defense revolver. This isn't a pistol you buy for match accuracy. It is a self defense gun, period. They are developing several new .410 loads specifically for this revolver, you should look into them. The .410 loads I fired from 10 and 15 feet were quite effective. At 5 feet, that load will probably tear someone's face clean off. Used as a defense gun for potential car jackers, the .410 load would be devastating.

Without seeing your barrel I really can't do much more than guess what's happening (if anything). If you have been firing alot of .410 loads, you could have leading (lead fouling) or more likely it could be plastic fouling from the wads. It's particularly hard to remove because it's just about impervious to solvents. One product that I swear by is "Eezox", it works. You should also work it with a brass brush. This barrel is manufactured far differently than your standard barrel. It's designed for two purposes, to fire centerfire handgun rounds, like the .45LC and .410 shotgun rounds. The rifling is cut very shallow to allow proper passage of the shotgun pellets but still high enough to impart adequate spin for the bullets used. So you have to realize that this barrel isn't going to look or behave like anything you've used before. It has been genetically engineered!! Here is a website with a picture I want you to look at http://www.notpurfect.com/main/taur410.html . Look at the third picture, the one looking down the barrel. Do you see those areas that look smeared or smudged? Is that what you're seeing? If so, it is entirely normal.

If you aren't having any trouble with it and have had it inspected by a qualified gunsmith, I wouldn't be concerned about it. See if the smudges you're seeing might be a shadow from the differences in machining or plastic residue from the wads. This is a very tough revolver and if you're not having a problem with performance, I recommend you just enjoy it!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby damnshot » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:40 am

Thank You! I am a believer again. I just didn't know. You have answered all my questions. I'm glade I came to the sourse. Thanks again.
damnshot

Return to Gun Chatter