>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Best .45 from the USA

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Best .45 from the USA

Postby geoff » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:19 pm

I am buying my first gun. I spend a lot of time in Grizzy bear territory and have been advised to buy a 45 for my needs and I will buy an American gun.

I want to keep one in the tube for speed.

I would like to spend less than $1000.

Charles Daly Jericho 941 Pistol/1911 A-1 Pistol?

Kimber Custom Pistol?

Remington R 1 Pistol?

Just a few ideas.
geoff

Postby Will_Carry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:25 pm

No offense but a 45acp is not the best Grizzly round. The average 45acp round delivers somewhere around 400 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. Some people don't think that is not enough. Most bear shooting experts (???) will tell you that 44 magnum is the smallest pistol you should carry in to Grizzly country. I ain't no expert but I'll give you my take. If you are dead set on a 45acp, get one with a double stack like the FNP-45 (15rd) or the Para PST-1911-S14 (14rds).

If you are going to be back packing and weight is a concern, I'd get a Glock in .357Sig. Much more stopping power than a 45acp. Otherwise I would get a 44 magnum.

Where a 45acp will give you 400 ft/lbs of muzzle energy and 44 magnum will give you 1000 ft/lbs or more.
Will_Carry

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:59 pm

I wouldn't even consider a .45acp for bear protection. It is simply not enough gun for the job. Since you're looking for an American gun, my suggestion would be without question a Smith & Wesson .460 Magnum. With it, you can also shoot the .454 Casull and the .45 LC. The only thing bigger in a revolver is the S&W 500 Magnum, which is very limiting and extremely powerful. Get your wrist and hand ready for a beating with it. If I were going to consider a semi auto, I would select the Glock 20 10mm. Choosing a .45acp over anything I mentioned should be purchased with some good running shoes and diapers. Just my .02 cents!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby geoff » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks for the comments. As a soon to be gun owner any comment is welcome.
geoff

Postby Will_Carry » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:54 pm

If you are going in to Grizzly country with a 45acp you will need a few extra things. 1) Jingle bells. You tie these little bells on your shoes and your backpack. That way the bear will hear you from a long way away and will stay clear of you. Most bear attacks happen by chance encounters. 2) Pepper Spray. They make a very powerful pepper spray just for bears. 3) You will need to know if there are any bears in your area and what kind they are. You look for tracks and bear turds (scat). Black bear turds with have twigs and berry seeds in it. Grizzly bear turds will have little bells in it and will smell like pepper spray. :)

That joke just never gets old!!!
Will_Carry

Postby robalan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:09 pm

robalan

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:18 pm

The .45 LC doesn't have the ft/lbs of energy to reliably take large game, North American large game included. Especially out of the Taurus Judge. I like the Judge alot, but it simply isn't a revolver designed for bear protection. A .22 rimfire could take a bear down if shot perfectly throught the eye socket and through the optic nerve opening into the brain. If you can get lucky enough to do that when a Grizzly is ten feet away from you and is PISSED, you're damn lucky... If you're going into bear country, you better be prepared for it! You may get one shot, and it better have enough balls to take care of business. If not, you'll be plopped next to the bells and pepper spray stinking pile of crap.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby geoff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:18 am

It sounds like most of you have never had an encounter with any bear. I routinely see black bears on my front step and driveway, about once a week. My neighbors have recommended a 45acp was the best round to carry when I backpack. I fired a handgun for the first time yesterday.

The first bear was never the problem, it was the second one that made me decide to protect myself better.

will carry, If I was with you, I think I would be wishing my will was up to date. Spray and noise IS the best defense against any bear. That has worked for me, 10yrs living in bear country.
geoff

Postby geoff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:28 am

Can Anyone recommend an American gun.

I drive an American car, buy American food, work in America, and I wish to spend my money in America.
geoff

Postby BrianB » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:11 am

Welcome to the forum geoff, as to your question,

There are many American gun companies that could fit your needs. Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger and many more. Check out their websites and you should be able to find a gun in the caliber and price range you are looking for. Ruger is probably the cheapest but they make great guns anyways.
BrianB

Next

Return to Gun Chatter