>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby wyf » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Well, I dont have one yet just wanted a little input before buying one witch I am not going to do now as you have made a good point.
wyf

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:49 pm

The ghost ring sight system is an excellent one and I don't want to steer you away from it. I just don't think it should be considered for close quarter defense, particularly in low light or no light. Ghost rings are great for quick shots on the range or in the field. Every AR15/M16 with stock sights has something similar. Some call them peep sights, the only difference is that ghost rings have a larger aperture rear ring sight that when looked through, gets fuzzy, which results in the term "Ghost Ring". Since you need light to see through the sight, it doesn't make a good choice for low light or no light targeting. Those situations require additional thought and choices. I'd consider a tactical light, laser or tritium night sights before using a ghost ring system.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Tig, Do you know that trjicon makes a tritium version of the ghost ring that would be ideal for the situation your describing.
beltbuckle

Postby whitehood » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Ghost rings or slug sights are fine for shotguns. Most home defense with a shotgun is up close and bead sights are fine as long as the ranges don't open up significantly. For shotguns it's all about the mount and repetition. You'll never see the sights again under low light conditions after the first shot anyway.
whitehood

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Hey Belt, I've seen them for the AR15's but still don't think even with that advantage that they'd be much good for CQB. As WH mentions though, even under the best circumstances, after the first round in low or no light, the tritium is of diminished value.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Good points but I thought we were simply going for the piece of mind aspect! LOL
beltbuckle

Postby JustBen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:16 am

One of the classes I signed up for this fall at TDI in Ohio is low and no light shooting with flashlights etc... I have never done this before and reading this thread, I am guessing that after the first flash, your eye's are going to have some work to do before you can continue your self defense activities. Can anyone elaborate more about how the eye's react?
JustBen

Postby wyf » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 am

I know mounted lights are for hands free use and all that but dose anyone remember when they taught police officers to hold them (flash lights) up and out or down and out away from the body so when the badguys shot at the light they had a little (very) less chance of hitting them? mabey not as much of a chance of that happening with burglers and such though.
wyf

Postby JustBen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:26 am

I have always been advised to NOT have a white light on a gun, and to have a good flashlight in my off hand held away from my body. The other problem with a light on your handgun, is that you have to muzzle someone to identify them. I do not think anyone wants to muzzle their kids or friends that may be in their home.
JustBen

Postby azprospector » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Lights and lasers can be more of a problem than a help a lot of times, particularly in close quarters. I made a hand held LED unit that literally will blind someone if it hits them in the face but doesn't bother me from the holders side. It works great but the trouble with it is that it is a little on the large size and not to good for easy carring. It is about the size of a #10 can with a handle on it.
azprospector

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter