>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:34 pm

I've never had the opportunity to use a baby Glock. It may be the answer. Of course, I could buy one of those jock strap holsters and carry my 1911. I'm just a little concerned about my Johnson sharing space with a 230 grain slug pointed at it!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby NCCCCWteacher » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Home Defense? A flashlight attached to a 12 ga pump.
NCCCCWteacher

Postby coolram04 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:41 pm

This is for anyone that is looking for a Home Defense Weapon. A legal short barrel 12 GA, with a mounted light using a light bird shot is the BEST WAY to go. Most of your handgun rounds will not only go through a wall, but whoever is standing on the other side. You have to know what is beyond your target. If you buy a handgun, then you should check into a home defense ammo. The ammo is made to not penatrate completely through the invader or a wall. If you think I am wrong, then just ask anyone like me that is a NRA Certified Instructor. I teach Home Defense.
coolram04

Postby coolram04 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 pm

First let me say that having dogs is #1, unless they are those barkless dogs. Shut and lock your bedroom door, stay behind the bed with the shotgun first and the 357 for backup. A factor bird shot load will work, unless the perp is wearing a bullet proof vest. With no kids, then there is no worry that they could be in the line of fire. The last thing to think of is how close are your neighbors. The 357 loads will travel through alot of walls before its stopped. One last thing. When the intruder gets to the door and while 911 operator is on the phone. Yell out that "You do have a gun" just don't say what kind.
coolram04

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:19 pm

My favorite 12 ga defense load is #4 Buck and Brenneke (Low Recoil)Tactical Home Defense Slugs. My bedside gun is a Glock 23 with 165 grain Winchester Ranger T's. I hope to thoroughly ventilate any scumbag trying to invade my home. I've seen more than one study that advises against birdshot. It's a lousy penetrator. I still wouldn't want to stare down a barrel full of it! But I'll stick to something with muscle. My field of fire is without children and my first floor walls are 8" masonry. Regardless, I agree that safety should always come first.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby jeffandsons » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

the judge (410 will not go thourgh a brick wall )3-410s 2 45 to finish
jeffandsons

Postby HenryLeverAction » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:10 pm

I don't know what gun you have chosen so far. But anyway... having big hands kinda sucks when you want to have a small gun. Nobody mentioned the Taurus Millennium in this forum. It is a small gun that big hands can carry. The Glocks that are small just seem to have a small grip so you can't really get a good hold on them (not all, just some). when you live in New Jersey (SUCK!) hollow points are out... so really you want a good caliber round that has stopping power and also not going to go through the walls.

A shotgun works but sometimes you want something smaller to carry...

a .45 ACP round is a nightmare to anyone in your house; a shotgun is too!

bottom line is... If you want a small gun to always have with you as a primary gun that is fairly good - .32 ACP or a .380 +P ...

with a larger caliber gun that isn't as comfortable to carry... 9mm is a no brainer... .40 S&W is a fine load as well.

I think the Taurus Millennium is a great gun and also the Beretta Px4 is an amazingly reliable gun.

the Taurus is chambered in .32 ACP , .380 , 9mm , .40 S&W , .45 ACP...

the Px4 is chambered from the 9mm up to the .45...

Check em out!
HenryLeverAction

Postby coolram04 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:30 am

9mm is the smallest that you want to go for a carry handgun. You get someone that is on drugs and the 32acp and the 380 will just piss them off more. My two carry rounds of choice is 40 S&W and the 45ACP.

You want to focus on how the gun feels in your hand. I have large hands and the SIG P226 fits real nice. I say this too everyone and that is "Do your homework" before you buy. Compare guns and get the one that fits your needs.
coolram04

Postby HenryLeverAction » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:36 am

I agree with what you said coolram04... Sure you can PO someone that is amped up on something but... if you put 3 or 4 rounds of .32 ACP into somebody within a few seconds that should be enough to at least stop them and possibly hit something vital. you only want to kill someone if it is a last resort. My uncle has shot someone with a small shotgun just to scare them off. He shot them in the butt ha ha. it worked.

Just remember. A gun is better than no gun. if you aren't comfortable with a larger caliber gun like 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP

stick with the .32 ACP or .380 +P

You should be able to get a Subcompact gun that you are comfortable with in a larger caliber gun... like the Px4 subcompact.

like I have said before, the Taurus Millennium is a very balanced firearm in any caliber for self defense. there are many options
HenryLeverAction

Postby dsclaiborne31 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:43 am

You may have found the answer to your initial question! Need advice for home defense? Move to a state that is concerned more about the safety and financial well being of it's citizens versus their tax revenues and liberal gun policies.

Yeah like tennessee or florida. They are truely the land of the free when it comes to handgun laws.
dsclaiborne31

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter