>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Carry Weapon

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Carry Weapon

Postby ExLimey » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm in the process of getting Concealed Pistol License and once that gets approved, I'm in the market for a pistol to carry. I've somewhat narrowed it down to:

1. Charter Arms Undercover - 5 shot .38 that weighs 16 oz

2. Rossi R462 - 6 shot .357 that weighs 26 oz

3. A Bulgarian made Makarov in 9 mm

Price is somewhat of a major concern. I don't have $500+ to drop on an S&W and I'd prefer to buy something new.

I've read some reviews on here and another site. Anyone have any experience with any of these or can suggest something else to consider?
ExLimey

Postby weekendfunandgun » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:49 pm

I have a Rossi 462 and love it. It's a great gun. And I like being able to choose between .357 and .38 ammo.
weekendfunandgun

Postby weekendfunandgun » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:54 pm

I 2nd that opinion 100%
weekendfunandgun

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:02 pm

You might also consider a taurus. They are well priced and from what I hear their revolvers are very reliable.
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:23 am

I own a Taurus 850SS revolver and it has been a real jewel. I took a close look at it a couple of weeks ago and realized that the extractor gear was starting to break down, pieces were actually chipping off. I was impressed by the warranty they offer and after having my gunsmith here in town look at it he agreed that there was trouble brewing. I sent the gun two weeks ago to Taurus in Miami and got a return receipt. I tried to contact them yesterday to see what's going on and they didn't answer one single phone number that they list for service. I only live 100 miles away so I know they were still open! I finally sent them a FAX and it was received but hasn't been answered either. Kind of a worrysome issue really. The XRay tech at the shop I worked at did some Xray exams of one of their guns and found some cracks in the frame of a new gun. Too small to see but was obvious on XRay. After that and my problem I'm wondering about their quality. I hope they make some improvments to their customer service. Until then I won't be recommending them.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby weekendfunandgun » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:14 am

Yeah, I am happy with my Taurus revolvers, but I have to agree that their customer service is WORTHLESS. They rarely answer the phone, and if you do it's just one woman with a spanish accent that will tell you whatever it takes to get off the phone and then nothing happens.

If/when I ever have a problem with any of my Taurus revolvers I will just ignore the whole warranty thing and pay to have a local gunsmith do the work. I would rather pay a little and have it done now, than wait for 6 months while Taurus eventually gets around to it.

About the Xray finding cracks - have you ever tried it on other guns to see if that is a normal thing? for instance, i have a smith MP and glock 36 that i would love to know the results of that test on!!
weekendfunandgun

Postby CONT2 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:21 am

weekend, try e-mailing them. Someone just said, today , that they've had some success w/ their Customer Service Dept.

I see that they have gotten into the cowboy style revolvers. How are they? Do they compare to S&W or Ruger?
CONT2

Postby weekendfunandgun » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:33 am

Well, I have nothing to contact them about at this time, I was just speaking from my past experience with them. Maybe they are trying to improve??

I know they make the vaquero line or something like that for cowboy action, but i have never fired one so i really dont have an opinion.
weekendfunandgun

Postby jdeangelis99 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:21 pm

i would deff go with the rossi
jdeangelis99

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:41 pm

No, I haven't xrayed any others. I'd be curious myself to see what some of my older guns look like. I imagine metal fatigue will show up on the antique weapons because the heat treatment then wasn't what it is now. Quality control has really improved as well. Most of the manufacturers follow the ISO 9001 (I think) guidlines and the requirement for consistent processes is demanded. As it should be in firearm manufacturing.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Next

Return to Gun Chatter