>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What is the best all around handgun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby keyman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Gotta hand it to you, Tig . . . no matter how deep or dark the hole, you climb out of them smelling like a rose. If I had only a portion of your gun expertise, I think I would try to charge for any comments that I made.

Keep up the good work . . . you're doing great.
keyman

Postby agonist » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Henry, I picked up a Ruger LCP .380 a short time ago and I love it!

I'll take it over the Kel-tec any day for it's ergonomics.

It's actually pretty soft shooting for what it is. I find it more comfortable recoil-wise than an all steel Walther PPK.

Brand new out of the box I went through a full box of 50 rounds without a hitch. Shot up another half a box the next time out with the same results.
agonist

Postby HenryLeverAction » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:05 pm

sweet thanks agonist. I'll look into it. downside of the story is that the .380's are $$!!! I don't wanna brake the bank - I wanna be able to shoot it on occasion so I'm comfortable with it. I shoot my Henry about once a week just to keep my rhythm up to par. I would like to shoot it around once a month bare minimum.
HenryLeverAction

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:56 am

I really appreciated it too! I was certainly surprised by his kind words and hope you aren't bothered by one Brother thanking another. We're all in this small world together and I for one realize that without the rest of you, it would be an awfully lonely place to live and an equally difficult place to defend our Second Amendment beliefs. Keyman and I have been good friends for a long time and we share alot of information about guns and life. I for one value a friend that I trust will tell me when I've done well and when I've stuck my foot in my mouth. Good, honest friends, no matter the distance between them, are hard to find and highly valued.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby agonist » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:54 am

Henry, I agree .380 is costly but I think you'll find .32 isn't much better.

I also believe in shooting all my guns to assure competence and functionality but none of these pocket pistols are range guns. When I shoot volume it's usually the 9mm, .357(.38), and of course .22.

Since the LCP is my everyday, I shoot it just about every time I go (once a month average) but I generally just go through 2 mags.
agonist

Postby keyman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:32 am

henryleveraction . . . after you've read as many of Tig's comments as I have, you will readily see that this guy is working his butt off for this website. Nothing wrong w/a little appreciation once in a while. He definitely deserves it.
keyman

Postby HenryLeverAction » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:45 pm

hm. i do agree, I will remove that part of the comment. thanks for the down to earth lecture guys. That is very true.

yeah I know what you mean about the two costs being extremely high. is it because the .32 is a more European round? Which one is generally cheaper between the two? and which one is better in the area of ballistics?

yeah I'd like to pop around 10 rounds once a month. I don't wanna shoot the crap out of it, just be able to enjoy shooting periodically. Thanks for the responses!
HenryLeverAction

Postby HenryLeverAction » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Okay, sorry to post two posts but, I was looking at the .380 pistols. What do you think of the Bersa Thunder .380? I really like that Walther PPK look and it gives that pretty well.

What do you think about this gun?
HenryLeverAction

Postby agonist » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:27 pm

I've never fired a Bersa but I've never read a bad review either. I don't know if it has a fixed barrel like the Walther. If it does I'm sure recoil is quite snappy since it's made from an aluminum alloy and is somewhat lighter than the all steel PPK.

For your earlier post, costs are very similar between the .32 and the .380 based mostly on availablity. I'm hoping, now that ammo manufacturers have begun to catch up, the .380 will come down a little. The demand has grown in the U.S. for .380 and supplies were very low.

The .380 is a clear winner in ballistic superiority over the .32acp. It's bigger and faster.
agonist

Postby HenryLeverAction » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:37 pm

I believe that is the gun I want! I haven't found a bad review on them either. I'm into the cheap, reliable guns. I can't stand to "shoot by the ATM". I thought it was roughly the same price. I hope they do get caught up. just recently our Wal-Mart finally got the .22 Federal's and Remington Thunderbolts again. Plenty of 9mm ammo, and .40 S&W. good luck finding .45 ACP at our wally world.
HenryLeverAction

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter