>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What is the best all around handgun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby epwrangler » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:30 pm

ulgy try a Ruger LCR. The trigger is fantastic.
epwrangler

Postby Gloc9mm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:51 am

Although I own an LCR and it serves a purpose, I cannot say it would be my 1st pick for "The best all around handgun".

I only carry it when I need to carry a smaller weapon, and to be honest what it loses in legnth it gains in width. I find very few opportunities to use the LCR and leave any other weapon I own at home. It's great I feel if you carry a back up weapon, but that's something I personally never do.

These day's I would want a bit more fire power than any 5 shot weapon can lend to the situation by itself.
Gloc9mm

Postby JustBen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:05 am

5 shot snubbies are great. I have one myself and carry it a lot as a back up gun. I would recommend against using it as a primary carry gun though. They are hard to shoot acurrately at distance or in a hostage situation, plus they do not have enough rounds IMHO. I just do not trust myself enough with my snubbie to use it as the only gun I have with me.
JustBen

Postby epwrangler » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:58 am

If I am in a spot that takes more than 5 shots to solve I am in deep dodo already. I shoot my LCR just fine at a gun fight distance. I am not out to save the world, just my own sweet ass. If I know I am going to be in a gun fight I will have my M4 not a handgun.
epwrangler

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:22 pm

I feel very well protected with my 5 shot revolver. It a S&W model 36 3" barrel. The thing I like about this little snubby is the speed at which I can draw and fire. If it weren't for that I might not carry it. The grip is easy to grab and pull, plus it points naturally. Getting the first hit in a gun fight is a big advantage.
Will_Carry

Postby ulgydog56 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 pm

I agree this is self defence ,your not going to be fending off an army,and these actions happen at closer ranges,if this is at long range,i flee ,if you can avoid, do so or bad mojo in the courts my freind,and yes there are cases where more rounds are needed,hey semiautos are sweet,I carry them ,I,m just sayin revolvers are almost brain dead in a hi stress situation, barring training.simple, safe, concealable,and always go bang.....rock solid...
ulgydog56

Postby epwrangler » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:00 pm

My primary now is ofetn an M&P 40 Compact. My favorite gun to shoot has become a 1873 peacemaker. What a great gun. Man the streets of Larado was made for it. Dallas Stoudenmire, sherrif in El Paso, Texas killed three men in 4 seconds with one. Unfortunately one was an innocent bystander. Still pretty good shootin' for an old SAA.
epwrangler

Postby MindOfGod » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm

In my opinion, Sig P226. This is The Navy Seals gun and my duty weapon. Perfection if there ever was a thing...
MindOfGod

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:17 pm

I'm going to cheat and list my two favorites, I hope that passes the censor here, lol! It's my feeling that the Colt Mk IV Series 70 (1911) .45acp and the Glock Model 23 .40SW. I own both and they have never had a failure of any type. "Never" is a very long time and is something that I really respect! If only all defensive handguns carried the same record!! They are both fantastic semi's....
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Double-tap on the Glock Model 23 .40SW for a duty arm, but not the best for 4 seasons CCW concealment + it requires a trigger cover. !00% reliable, fast + fewest parts, etc.

I like my CA (13 oz) 38+P revolver, at times. For times requiring much discretion the 8 oz Kel-Tek .380 6+1 is best.

For CCW peace of mind my 2 Taurus Millenium PT145 Pro (.45acp) 10+1 at 21 oz are hard to beat (1-5 mags of Corbon Pow'r Ball ammo helps). They suk for CCW on 105* Summer days, though.

Then is pistol range, plinking, hunting, etc.

Ain't no "best all around" handgun. IMHO
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter