>
Board Index Getting Started Buying/Selling

hand gun sales in Texas

Discuss buyers or sellers from the classifieds section, post gun-related ads, or any other commercial firearm discussions.

hand gun sales in Texas

Postby danlsnak » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:33 am

I am a private seller, not a dealer. I just need to sell a couple of guns to pay bills. I come from Michigan and my guns are registered there. I'm under the understanding that I can just sell a handgun to another person in Texas without any background checks or anything. Is this true? What of the registration in Michigan?

Thanks
danlsnak

Postby danlsnak » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:24 am

If I am correct, Interstate Sales have to be handled through FFL Dealers, and cannot just be sold privately. Besides, would you really want to buy any Gun that you didn't know was clean? You could end up being charged for someone elses Murder!

I may be wrong about this, but still I want to be sure I am covered with any Gun.
danlsnak

Postby jdeangelis99 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:58 pm

Im 90% sure you have to still send it to a FFL dealer and have the transaction go thru him. That can be dangerous to just sell your gun to someone direct over the internet.Cause he can kill someone and you will be charged if its under your name!
jdeangelis99

Postby jdeangelis99 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:37 am

I know even in Florida if you don't have a CCW, your gun has to be transferred through an FFL Dealer if bought at a show. A few Years ago at Shows here you could walk right out with it *W/O a CCW, but they changed that. They Stores could be 2 Blocks apart, but still has to be done! Kind of silly, probably just another Fla. Way to make a couple of Bucks!!

Like my Range, No Concealed of Loaded guns in the Door, you have to Buy their Ammo, Targets etc. What's wrong with a paper Pie Plate, as I always used for years in NY?? Or your own Printed Targets? I am sure the Workers line up Cans & Bottles at night!! Just another way to make 75 Cents!! Or maybe just some of Palm Beaches crazy Rules?

But I even bought a small Gun Years ago Privately in the guys living Room. He filled out the Felon Check Form, but never called it in. I left with the Gun. He sold a Ton of those 25 Cal Ravens. I only bought it so I at the time could walk into a Gun Store, and as long as you had a Gun, you could walk out with a Real Gun if Traded W/O any Wait Period. But then the wait was only 2 or 3 Days. But I just moved here which made my NY CCW useless, and felt naked W/O a Gun. Plus I am the type that wants it NOW!

Can you Buy Barrels W/O a CCW?
jdeangelis99

Postby BeanerBuster1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:39 pm

As an FFL holder, at least in the U.S., no interstate sales of handguns can be conducted without an FFL shipping it(unless, if you get caught, you already know Bubba the Fudgepacker at the Federal Prison system). It is a Federal offence, just a thought.....
BeanerBuster1

Postby St8Shooter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:02 am

All have touched on the same thing. CHL or not, weapons now need to be sold thru a FFL.

I have sold a few to people I trust but these did not have previous recordings of there serial numbers that could be tracked back to me.
St8Shooter

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:10 pm

If you are living in Texas and have handguns for sale, you can legally sell them to a private citizen without any paperwork. If both are private citizens, you can even legally ship the pistol Texan to Texan without going through a FFL dealer. The anti-gunners and dealers don't like this to be known. If you are at a gun show and find a private citizen to sell you a pistol, all you have to do is both go outside, and the sale is legal. You do have to go off premises to do it. Both parties must be over 21.

In the show, you have to use a FFL. They normally charge $27.06 ($25.00 + Tax) to complete the federal paperwork and run the background check.

Sales to persons in another state brings Interstate Commerce into play and then you must ship to a FFL.

Check out what the Feds say.

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

This does not just apply to Texas!
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby GOANRA » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:11 pm

Some States put restrictions on intra-state sales of firearms.

A few even require a government issued 'Pistol Purchase Permit'... ouch.

All 'interstate' sales/transfers must be made through a FFL dealer.

Many States do not interfere, but the 'Federal requirements' that an individual may not "knowingly" sell a firearm to a Convicted Felon, Dishonorably Discharged from Military, Domestic Violence Conviction, Personal Protection Order, User of Illegal Drugs, etc., etc., causes a bit of concern for many good folks.

If the firearm is 'EVER' used in a crime or found on a criminal, the feds 'WILL' be on your porch asking many stupid questions.

The word 'knowingly' does not offer me much comfort, so I only sell firearms to Good Friends and Family, in State.... but, since such folks always want a super deal, I do just as well to trade it in to a dealer.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Return to Buying/Selling