>
Board Index Getting Started Buying/Selling

a new gun user

Discuss buyers or sellers from the classifieds section, post gun-related ads, or any other commercial firearm discussions.

a new gun user

Postby jmms » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm a first time gun buyer looking for a good pistol for recreation purposes. Can people recommend a specific model and make or perhaps a more general suggestion on what to look for in a gun?

I did try (as in hold) a Beretta and a Glock, but I know no gun owners, and it's difficult for me to try shooting a couple before I buy one.
jmms

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:13 pm

LOL, Your going to hear alot of the same answers soon.

If you browse thru the gun chatter section you'll find this question is asked over and over, you may want to check there. You also may have better luck with answers there.

Have you picked a caliber yet? 9mm will be cheaper to shoot and is still an effective self defense round. .45acp is getting expensive and you'll find the 40S&W right in the middle.

I guess another important question is have you decided on an auto or are you still considering a revolver. For a revolver I recommend a .357 magnum. For target practice you can use .38specials in it.

Glocks are generally considered reliable, I dont personally prefer them however.

Anyone I've ever known who's bought a beretta PX4 has loved them. I own one and my father does too. I have the 40S&W he has the 9mm. Alot of law enforcement agencies are picking them up as a duty weapon too. The Canada border patrol equips the PX4 now, and did some pretty harsh testing before they approved it. This is the firearm I carry for defense and I trust my life with.

A quality 1911 style handgun is perfect for recreation purposes. Colt, Springfield, and Kimber are a few of the many quality brands out there
beltbuckle

Postby luciusmagister » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:20 am

luciusmagister

Postby jrmies » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 pm

I have to agree about getting a 22lr. They are cheap to shoot, a great way to get into the sport and are a lot of fun. The price of all ammo has almost doubled in the past few years and all ammo is expensive now. Ruger makes some great pistols, luciusmagister makes a good recommendation, but I really like a single action pistol, like the Single Six. Good price, great accuracy, and a good pistol to learn to shoot with.
jrmies

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:53 am

If you're interested in a Ruger single action rimfire, you won't go wrong with the Single Six model convertibles. They come with a 22LR cylinder and a .22 WMR cylinder including one pistol in the .17 HMR caliber. However Ruger has just released a "Purdy" .22 Rimfire SA based on the old Remington model six gun. It's called the "Bearcat". Nice looking, but I like all of Rugers SA pistols, especially the ol' tried and true "New Model Blackhawk". If you're serious about a Ruger SA centerfire, I think you owe it to yourself to look at the "New Model Ruger Blackhawk Convertible". The cool factor is that it comes with two cylinders, one for .357 Magnum/.38 Spcl and one for 9mm Parabellum. Those are three outstanding centerfire loads, they can all provide enough punch to serve for self defense but the .357 is hands down the most powerful. The 9mm/.38 Spc. provide much cheaper practice ammo. It's an all around good deal. I might've talked myself into one, ha!! I'm almost as bad as Glocks4Life and BeltBuckle when it comes to gun purchases. They can just smell gunpowder and they start reaching for their wallets, LOL!!! We'll all admit to loving our sport and our guns. God Bless America and our Second Amendment!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Return to Buying/Selling