>
Board Index Getting Started New Gun Owners

new ccw permit holder need to buy gun

A place for people new to the firearm community to ask questions.

new ccw permit holder need to buy gun

Postby hobbes13 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:04 pm

I have been researching guns for a while now and am leaning towards Hi-Point C9 (it fits my budget & gets good reviews from owners). But am also considering a Taurus Millenium Pro .45, or 709c. Also maybe a Ruger. Any advice would be nice. I would like a dependable reasonbly priced accurate firearm.
hobbes13

Re: new ccw permit holder need to buy gun

Postby GOANRA » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:12 pm

The 709 would be great. Cheaper practice ammo.

I have the Taurus Millenium PT145 (10+1) and it is one of my favorites, but I am a .45 guy.
It is amazingly easy to conceal, but needs a couple hundred rounds to break it in well... then a good cleaning.

I also have the PT745, single-stack mag (6+1), but I can hardly tell the difference.

If you like a 9mm, there are a lot of good choices out there.

Try [url]www.BudsunShop.com[url] they have about the best prices around + free s/h to anywhere in the U.S.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby hobbes13 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Thank you for your response. How is the recoil on the .45 ? I personally like the idea of a .45 because of the greater stopping power. God forbid if I should ever have to fire in self defense, I want to be sure I can stop the bad guy.
hobbes13

Postby GOANRA » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:57 pm

I find the recoil on the Taurus PT145 quite manageable considering its lightweight.
I use the Hornady 185 gr XTP +P for carry as they show the maximum ft/lbs of energy transferred to the 'target'... which transfers into stopping power.
(Actually 165 gr bullets give even more ft/lbs of terminal velocity, but they are impossible to find this year).

For practice, I use various 185 gr FMJ rounds with less powder and find I can shoot a couple hundred rounds easy enough. The hard part thesedays is 'affording' the ammo.

I also like Cor-Bon in lighter weight bullets for carry in JHP. Cor-Bon also makes the Pow'rBall, which is a JHP with compressed shot for great expansion and a polymer ball in the Hollow Point to aid in, or even force, expansion and to keep the HP from clogging up with clothing and such.

My 2nd choice for self defense only, would be a .357 Mag revolver with 2.5 to 3 inch barrel, the ballistics on those are awesome!
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby hobbes13 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:21 pm

How well does the Taurus handle reloads? My coworker shoots competively and reloads 9mm & .45 . He said he would be willing to help me with some practice ammo.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts with serious answers.
hobbes13

Postby GOANRA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Never a problem hobbes13.
I ran a few boxes of .45acp reloads a friend gave to me through my PT145. He is a perfectionist and very experienced at reloading. He never buys 'factory' ammo unless he has to.

He gave me 3-400 rounds of .45acp JHP (Hornady 185 gr XTP bullets) and it was flawless.
I'd recommend using the same bullet weight in FMJ/RN for practice as you are going to use for carry, of course.

The Taurus Milleniums will need 2-300 hundred rounds through them in order to wear the slide an such into optimum performance. They seem to like a thorough cleaning after every couple hundred rounds as well to keep it reliable with a light lube.
This is fairly common with semis in this price range and, IMHO, all semis work better after their first case of ammo.

The Milleniums field-strip easily. I find it best to blast 'em clean with compressed powder solvent and maybe some compressed air as an extra measure.

The reloads will work fine as long as they are made well, but don't take anything too serious during the first 2-300 rounds fired.
Then, I expect perfection from all my Tauruses.

I like 'Hornady 185 gr +P XTP' factory rounds for actual carry. The lighter bullet weight gives more ft-lbs energy, which is your 'stopping power' combined with the bullet configuration.
Cor-Bon and Speer Gold Dot are good choices as well, among others.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions whatsoever.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Return to New Gun Owners