>
Board Index Getting Started New Gun Owners

Buying my first pistol

A place for people new to the firearm community to ask questions.

Buying my first pistol

Postby armydds » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm

I am in the market for a pistol. I want to buy new and this will be my first purchase. I plan to eventually get my concealed carry permit. My main purpose for wanting a pistol is for personal and home defense. At the same time, I want to be able to enjoy firing at a range and mastering the weapon. I would appreciate comments and suggestions on what gun to buy. Leaning toward Smith and Wesson...
armydds

Postby Will_Carry » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Welcome to the wacky world of firearms. I would not commit myself to Smith and Wesson or any other manufacturer at this time. Keep an open mind. Smith and Wesson makes some fine pistols but if you knew much about handguns you wouldn't have posted here.

My first thought when I read your post was "Glock 19". Which may be the best pistol of it's kind in the world. Smith and Wesson makes the M&P series pistols that are also great.

Before you pick a manufacturer you may want to consider what caliber pistol you want. 9mm, 40 S&W, 45acp or do want a revolver that shoots .357 magnums?

I would suggest that you rent some pistols at your local range or get a buddy who shoots to let you try his/her pistols.

My first two pistols were absolutely pieces of crap and I wasted a lot of money on them. One was a Taurus M85 and the other was a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm.

Learn everything you can about gun safety before you buy. Study safety like your life depends on it. Good luck.

If you bought a Glock 19 9mm, you would not be making a mistake. If you bought a Smith and Wesson M&P or a Springfield XD, you would be buying fine handguns.

A quality handgun retains it's value, so even if you don't like it, you can sell it and get most of your money back.
Will_Carry

Postby JustBen » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Will has it right. For Concealed Carry and self defense the best two on the market are the Glock 19 and the S&W M&P 9 Compact.

Not neccessarily the best first guns for a newbee, but if you get good instruction and practice you will be comfortable with them quickly.

I sent you a PM with my contact info in the event you are near my location in Ohio.
JustBen

Postby armydds » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks for the input guys. When I was in the Army, I was an expert marksman on the Colt .45 and 9mm Beretta. That was several years ago, so I will definitely need to re-familiarize myself with handgun safety and operation. I am definitely more inclined to purchasing a larger caliber gun in a compact size. Like a S&W M&P 40c. My concern with a 9mm vs. a .40 or .45 cal is: Will it stop a crazed 250 lb crack addict dead in his tracks when he breaks into my house in the middle of the night???
armydds

Postby JustBen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Shot placement trumps caliber.

If you are a great shot you could stop someone with a .22.

If you are a good shot you will have no problem with the 9mm.

If you stink to high heaven, the .460 Magnum is available.
JustBen

Postby JustBen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Seriously though, the current 9mm defensive ammo is outstanding, plus with a 9mm you will be able to practice more and shoot more accurately. The .40 has more recoil and is more difficult to handle. The .45 is really nice to shoot but expensive.

Best of all worlds right now in my opinion is the 9mm.
JustBen

Postby armydds » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm going to go to an indoor range and try the S&W M&P 9, .40 and .45 and hopefully some Glocks.
armydds

Return to New Gun Owners