>
Board Index Getting Started New Gun Owners

Torn between 1911's

A place for people new to the firearm community to ask questions.

Torn between 1911's

Postby J_JMangen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:08 am

I'm looking at buying my first pistol in the near future, about to be 21 and I'm planning on getting my concealed carry permit along with a pistol soon after my birthday. But I'm torn. I know I want a .45 ACP 1911 pistol, and I have about $700 to spend on it, give or take a bit. I'd like to spend around $500 though. But obviously you get what you pay for and I'm not gonna pay for trash now when I could wait a while and buy something much better.

So Here's my dilemma, read a lot of good reviews and did plenty of research on two pistols, the Taurus 1911's (Haven't decided on a specific model) or the Springfield 1911's. Which company and which firearms would you trust more?

As far as specifics go, I'm looking for a firearm to keep for home/car defense, and for shooting on the range for fun. Nothing super special yet, no competition and I don't live in a nearly bad enough neighborhood to be seriously concerned about Breaking and Entering or being assaulted. So my standards aren't super high (I don't have the money for that) but I would like a reliable, accurate, well built firearm. Also I would prefer steel over polymer.

Any comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
J_JMangen

Postby JustBen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:21 am

Sounds like you are not looking for a combat pistol to fight with if you are attacked, but more for range time and collecting/fun/hobby etc... If that is true and you are on a budget, Taurus makes good inexpensive weapons and .45 1911's are quite nice. Ammo is expensive though. Springfield is a good company also.

If you are looking for a reliable combat fighting pistol for concealed carry, a Glock model 19 or Smith and Wesson M&P 9 are in my opinion the best. Stay with the 9mm for that purpose.
JustBen

Postby J_JMangen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:38 am

Yea I am primarily looking for a fun/hobby firearm right now. I really want to learn how to shoot, and to go shooting with my wife/father in law and my friends. And when I do get a firearm for concealed carry, something I'm going to carry on my person, it will probably be a 9mm.
J_JMangen

Postby JustBen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 pm

My strategy was to buy whatever gun I wanted then tell my wife I needed a different one etc... That worked up until I got about a dozen or so, then she caught on.

Have fun and best of luck with your shooting.
JustBen

Postby razr » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:26 am

Spend a little more so you dont end up replacing parts. SAs that are assembled in US are fairly good performaers and SAs customer service seems to be getting better. I mostly like older Colts but purchased a 9mm SA loaded 1911 and after nearly 2000 rounds I am sold on quality. 45 has a better feel than any other round but ammo is expensive.
razr

Postby ulgydog56 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:14 am

i like the new sr1911 by ruger good bang for the buck.......
ulgydog56

Postby GOANRA » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Don't let price decide your quality. Stay in the middle, more or less.

I've owned most every model... or known someone who has.

After 35 years, my favorite .45acp is the Taurus Millenium PT145 Pro, 10+1, 21 ounces for CCW, accurate & reliable for the past 1000 rounds. The most concealable (for me).

I wouldn't judge any semi prior to putting 200+ rounds through it, though.

Also, all 1911s won't fit your hand the same.

My paws are very thick, so I need a fairly thin grip.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Re: Torn between 1911's

Postby agonist » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:16 pm

I've had an older Taurus PT1911 for some time now. It's very well machined. Tight tolerances, great performance, very reliable with almost all ammo.
It's a great version of the 1911, many custom features. I installed Pachmayer grips (rosewood w/ rubber finger grooves on the front) and the fit and control for me is awesome.
It's only weakness is the durability of the blued finish. It marks up pretty easily. It still looks great though, and a gun like this is easily refinished if desired.
agonist

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey Ag, how have you been buddy? Long time no see! The problem with Taurus for me has been easy to describe, you either get a good one that is very reliable or you get a problem child. I don't know how their customer service is currently but it hasn't been known for excellence. I've got a Colt Government Model Mk IV Series 70 1911 that I purchased in 1978. You couldn't ask for a better handgun! I mentioned to Lotsip that the Springfield XDm and the Glock 21 are also excellent choices and they won't cost you like a Kimber, Sig or an HK will. I'm waiting now to see what happens following this election. Prices skyrocketed following Obummer's election in 08. If he manages to do it again, I think things are going to turn very ugly...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby lotsip81 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 pm

I personally like Springfield. Their customer service is rock solid and I have heard very few people have issues with their weapons to begin with. Also, I know you can customized 1911's a lot, but it is good to know that Springfield also has their own custom shop. Sometimes that can be a deciding factor as well.

I haven't owned any Taurus's myself, but most of the ones I help seemed all right. Depending on who you talk to may give you different results, but I have heard Taurus customer service can be kind of hit and miss.

To make a good suggestion on purchases we might need a bit more information. Have you looked at things like overall length, weight, and sites? All of these things come into play when looking at purchasing your first weapon. Too heavy you wont want to carry it, same thing is to be said if the weapon feels too long for concealment. For example some people can comfortably carry a 5 inch barrel but the next person might only want a 3.5 in barrel. I personally like a 4 inch barrel length for a good all around weapon, but your preferences might vary.

As far as sites go, check and make sure you are comfortable with the ones that are on it, unless you plan on replacing them with iridescent sites. Not all, but a lot of people will change the site to something like Trijicon if they plan on carrying a good portion of the time.

One thing you hit the nail on the head about is getting what you pay for. You have a few options here, go a bit cheaper and get a less expensive weapon. Save a bit more money and get something a bit nicer. Or you can go with the "used" route. Going used for a first time owner can be a good thing. For example you can save some money off of full retail to purchase things like sites or maybe a holster. When its all said and done you may have spent the same money, or maybe more, but you would have more to show for it.

Hope this helps a bit, but if you have more questions.....feel free to "fire" away. :D

lotsip81
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Next

Return to New Gun Owners