>
Board Index Getting Started New Gun Owners

First handgun suggestions

A place for people new to the firearm community to ask questions.

First handgun suggestions

Postby HammerMill » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:58 pm

Im looking to get my first handgun. Any suggestions around $400-500?
HammerMill

Postby BrianB » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:25 pm

There are many different guns that could fit in that price range but thats not really a question anyone can answer for you. It comes down to what you want to use the gun for and which one fits you best. So, what are you wanting to use it for, ie, self defense, target shooting, concealed carry, etc. Do you have any prior experience or training with guns? Left or right handed? Sensitive to recoil?

What you are really going to want to do, once you get to the point that you are ready to purchase a gun, is find several that fit what you are looking for. First maybe find ones that appeal to you on the net or at a store that sells many different types of guns. Then handle several of them to see what fits you and feels most comfortable in your hand. Once you narrow your choices down, look for a gun range in your area that rents guns and see if they have the guns you are interested so you can try them out.

Another thing that should really be done, budget in for some basic handgun instruction with the cost of your gun. Knowing how to use your gun correctly is invaluable to you as well as others around you.
BrianB

Postby robalan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:27 pm

BrianB has some good points there. Concerning the training I would say there are a lot of courses out there. Some are expensive and some cost almost nothing. Some local clubs really just want you to be safe and will offer training for almost nothing. Your State Game Commision probably offers entry level classes for a very low cost in addition to some gun clubs. I took three or four really cheap courses before taking one that cost real money.
robalan

Postby smith6906 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:50 pm

give ya a few great brands to look into that you can get for that price, new and used.

Glock.

Rock Island

Taurus

Springfield.

all four are durable , reliable and come in a variety of calibers from .380 up to .45. most are around $500 and change. but if you search used guns.....you can get them cheaper. as other posters have said. get some certified training in, hit the range, practice safety and shoot shoot shoot. no pill that makes you gun savvy. just gotta practice :-D happy shooting!
smith6906

Postby Gloc9mm » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Hammermil

I don't know if you have purchased a Gun since your Last Post, but I personally would recommend a Glock for reliability, IF it fits your Hand, You are once again Well Trained with it's because they can be a bit tricky being a Hammerless Weapon. Many love Sigs, but I have had 2 Cops comment they like theirs, but would feel better if it were a Glock! However, you are looking in the $525.00 Range as a New Weapon, the only kind I am Comfy with! But that's just MHO, I am sure others will disagree. But it's like a Car, I never Buy Used as a personal preference!

Bob
Gloc9mm

Postby whitehood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:05 am

I agree with the suggestion of the Glock and specifically the G19. The new 4th generation pistols should take care of the grip angle/fit problems that have dogged Glock. As to used Glocks, their arsenal refurbished weapons are a good deal.
whitehood

Postby smith6906 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:26 pm

i've bought almost 10 used glocks. havnt broken one yet.....untill last night. the slide stop spring popped.......so my slide stop was stuck in the upward postion. tiny little spring........BIG consiquences in a defense situation. if you do go with a used weapon. take it to your local gunsmith *not the place you bought it* and have it checked out, tuned up :-)
smith6906

Postby JustBen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:02 pm

If you get a generation 3 or earlier, just take a dremel tool to it and carve out the bottom of the trigger guard for your strong hand middle finger and another one further forward for your off hand pointer finger. This allows you to grip the gun higher and avoid those nasty blisters and bleeding, plus find your off hand grip quicker. Grind away boys.
JustBen

Postby blindjeff » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:15 pm

i love my smith and wesson sigma 9mm and only paid 279.00 brand new
blindjeff

Postby Srtresca » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 am

Just ordered a Beretta px4 .40 sc, can't wait to try it out. Anyone out there using this firearm?
Srtresca

Next

Return to New Gun Owners