Women's Preferences for Target Shooting

Discussion in 'Gun Chatter' started by ward, Apr 25, 2010.

1. ward

ward New Member

I bought my wife a Walther .32 cal PPK/S. The spring was too strong for her to chamber a round, so we traded it in for a Ruger LCR .38 special. This pistol has so much recoil that it frightens her to use it. Now we don't know what to buy.

So I'm wondering what do women prefer in these circumstances. She is interested in target shooting, but also wants a concealed carry firearm.

GOANRA Well-Known Member

My wife has tiny, fragile hands, but can choot any of my CC sidearms, and does.

However, after a few rounds in the 9 ring at 25ft, she doesn't think it's FUN anymore.

For CC, she uses a kel-tek P3AT, if someone grabs her in a parking lot, etc., they will take a few rounds of .380

She uses a walther P-22 for practice & loves it + 22lr ammo is cheap with no kick. Ruger, S&W, Browning + others make good 22lr semis, too. Even the 9 shot revolvers are nice range shooters.

She also likes a 5 round [38 spl], snubbie revolver for a reliable CC, but only shoots it enough to know she can it her target in real life, same as the kel-tek.

Rarely will one shooter suit both needs.

3. ShootSS

ShootSS Well-Known Member

For target, get her a .38 special revolver with a 6 inch barrel. Soaks up the recoil. Until she has mastered that, forget the concealed carry. Most of them have short barrels (meaning stouter recoil AND noise). If she can't handle the slide on a .32, about the only semi-auto she's going to be able to handle is a .22. Not much oomph for concealed carry, but better than nothing. I'd stick with a .38 special, and try a snubbie after she get's the hang of the longer barreled gun. With a bit of time at the range, she will lose her fear of the recoil and noise and then you can explore other options.

You might consider a .38 with a 4 inch barrel. That could do double duty as a target gun (though not as accurate as the 6 inch barrel) and a concealed carry piece.