who can tell be about a rock island armory .45

Discussion in 'Gun Chatter' started by CON-T, May 8, 2007.

1. CON-T

CON-T Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about them to give you any info. But, I always see 2 identical full size .45's at Peterson's. They've been there for a few months, side by side, collecting dust. I was tempted to take a look at one when I was in the market for a .45ACP. I was told that they are cheap, not inexpensive,but cheap.

Maybe that was the pitch to sway me to look at something more costly but....they're still there. Again, I don't know enough about them to say yay or nay...I will admit, they look good.

2. coconutbay

coconutbay Well-Known Member

I owned one for a year before buying Glock. I bought it new for $315 through Auction Arms and added Hogue grips to improve on those slippery wooden ones from the factory.

It's made in the Phillipines where plenty of 1911s saw lots of action during WWII. Mine shot low, which was common, but I filed a little off the front sight and put a small dab of white out on it to correct that.

It was reliable. Most jams were due to insufficient grip rather than anything else. I sold it and made $25 a year later. It looked tough as nails, but I wanted the Glock for a carry gun. I have no idea why someone would spend so much more money on another .45 when the RIAs so reasonable. Buy several!

3. dunlap

dunlap Member

It doesn't matter what brand .45 you buy, they are all made on the same basic machinery and they all take inter-changeable parts. However, the Rock Island .45's are, in my opinion, a very well-made, excellent firearm. I'm a former Marine and policeman. The 1911 is MY GUN. Screw this DAO and others. Rock Island .45's in 1911 (standard) or 1911-A2 (hi-capacity) are fantastic weapons. BUY ONE! Then tinker with it. Take a Dremel tool and polish the frame and slide rails for smoothness. I watch a gunsmith do it to mine, and it made a world of difference. Also, add a Wilson Shok-Buff recoil kit. They don't need it, but any 1911 will perform so much better with it... believe me. I have several of them and I never part with them unless I absolutely...positively...have to because of financial needs. Rock Island is a great gun.

4. gunmonkey1

gunmonkey1 Well-Known Member

i bought a rock island armory 45 for 300$ and it was money well spent ... it is by no means the most a matchgrade but it is a solid all arround gun... i have put several hundred rounds through it and only had 2 failure to feeds and that was a bad mag i think... it stays loaded under my side of the bed... just in case