What is a good concealed carry?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry' started by fredandbarry, Feb 5, 2010.

1. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

It's quite obvious that there are more than one CCW guns.

I recently bought one of the Ruger LCR 38 spl. guns, and it is very easy to conceal, and the lightweight makes it even better. I carry it in a High Noon OWB holster, and it works quite well for me.

2. Doriadiver

Doriadiver Well-Known Member

Hey K, how do you like that LCR? A couple of my friends have purchased em recently but I haven't gotten a range report back yet.

3. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

Hi DD . . . the LCR is one fine shooting gun. I won't kid you about the recoil, but if you're holding the gun good and tight, it works real good.

Accuracy is good, too. I'm not one to put all the rounds in the bullseye, but I figure that my patterns would bring down a pretty big fellow.

There is no noticeable difference between the 38 spl and the +P, both have a pretty good recoil. It is easy to clean, and with five rounds in the gun it weighs only 15.56 oz. I like that. Very easy to conceal, and the weight speaks for itself.

4. eddbrowne

eddbrowne Member

If I was starting over, I might spend $1200 for a

Rohrbaugh 380 for personal defense. The R9 is

too hard to rack for my wife.

I have read some negative comments, but I might suggest

the Taurus 738 ($400). Both the R380 and 738 have good

reviews in Rifleman, with my "good" depending on

reliability, then size/weight in summer.

The Sept 2010 issue of the NRA's 'Shooting Illustrated'

has a full review of the 738/TCP, and gives full approval.

[disclosure: Taurus has full page ad for TCP on pg 5]

They tested several TCP's, including a local purchase, with

various types and brands of ammo, with very good results.

Says the partial pre-set trigger makes for better DAO.

Has manual and auto slide stop.

Says the included belt case is a good carry solution.

[Get the laser; it can even help end things without gunfire.]

A larger good carry is SIG 232 ($700). If you are good at

gun work (or a buddy), then others can work out.

(My KT p32's are worth a thousand each for my work.)

My next gun will be a KT PMR-30; then a Taurus 738.

(The only 9m wife can handle is the crude Hi-Point C9,

due to its heft, blowback slide, and spring.

I wish I could still find the comp version.)

5. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

My wife carries a Kel-Tec .380 acp for defense and can put 3 in the head of a standard 'Q' target at 30 ft on the 1st try.

She has tiny, weak little hands, but just loves that thing.

The 7 rounds of 90 gr JHP personal defense ammo + her happy trigger finger doesn't leave me much room to worry about her when she goes out, alone.

The BG will never see her sidearm... she'll just open-up on the puke.

6. Doriadiver

Ahhhh Goanra.....I just love a happy ending! Mine carries the Sig P238. It's perfect for her. Easy to stash and she shoots it very well though it is a little pricey for .380 and 1 mag.

7. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

diver, how to put a price on wife's safety? Around here, the law is, "Mama wants, Mama gets". LOL

Sig is better quality.

The Kel-Tec .380 used to be mine. She tried it at the range and loved it. Then she "informed me" it was now hers [but I can still clean it, of course].

Not a problem since she told me to go & get my own + gave me the belt-clip since she doesn't like it for her purse or console.

I got the P3AT for the pocket-clip for those HOT summer days, but I don't like shooting it at the range much.

It just doesn't make sense that she actually 'enjoys shooting' that tiny gun. [??]

Maybe some thinngs don't need figuring.

8. Doriadiver

"Our" rule Goanra is.....Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! Same thought process' different wording. I'm also allowed to clean her Sig. It usually goes like this....."Can we clean my gun today?'' Notice the "we"? But yes her safety is paramount. She already has claimed my Kimber @ the time of my death. It's nice to know she'll be safe. LOL

9. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

LOL, Yup, the Royal "WE"... can WE mow the lawn today? LOL

I wish I could get my wife to tote something a little more potent than her Kel-Tec .380, but she just loves that thing.

The 1st sidearm she 'took' from me was a .357 mag snubbie with nice rubber grips. She used .38 +P and loved it.

Can't argue with success, she can put 2 boxes of .380 through that little thing with amazing accuracy. I can't.

10. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

I'm confused gentlemen, is there anything else besides "We"? I've heard the oft used term "You" plenty of times. Then there's also that other combination, "I won't" followed up by "You can" or "You will". Then there used to be "If you want", but I don't hear that much anymore. I think John Browning and his kind didn't design firearms for protection anymore than he designed them as a source of appreciation, comfort and something to do in the workshop. A reason to step outside for an hour or two! Something we can love and caress without having to mow the lawn. So from those of us thankful Sportshusbands... Thanks John!

11. eddbrowne

eddbrowne Member

" I think John Browning and his kind didn't

design firearms for protection so much as ... "

I know you write with a grin, but let's not

shortchange Browning's contributions.

His reliable and sturdy machines, including his BAR

and 1911, saved many good men; weapons that

worked during extended abuse.

He was ahead of his times, but none too soon.

He died in 1926, but they still produce his 50

every day for combat delivery.

He was a practical genius of heroic stature.

12. Doriadiver

Ouch, somebody is a little tight! How did it go from us henpecked guys to that diatribe? "Lighten up Francis."

13. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

Careful Doria, call him Francis again and he may Kill ya. Or perhaps just call you a Homo.

14. eddbrowne

eddbrowne Member

This thread started with:

"...doing some research on concealed-carry weapons.

I am rather new to shooting and guns in general,

but I desperately want to learn! ..."

But it's been turned into a social chat thread

for the amusement of the real members.

Folks don't look here if they want to learn something.

15. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

edd, no reason to get offended, this happens to most threads on the internet whether here or on nearly any other site. About the only time that does not happen is when the thread has no interest and sinks to the bottom of the forum with only a post or two to show for it. If the interest of the subject is still there it will resume to the principal topic.

16. Doriadiver

I stand by my earlier statement..........If he swallowed coal, he'd crap diamonds!

17. eddbrowne

eddbrowne Member

Returning to concealed carry, and crappin,

consider the NAA .22mag in deep cover ...

http://bit.ly/93Fzak

18. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

Bwahahahaha! Ouch!!! I don't even want to think about how that would feel to do. Quick drawing? Don't think so. Does it not also look like there is a key there as well?

19. Doriadiver

Worked in Psych for 13 years. You would not believe what people will swallow. But yikes, that's gotta hurt. As for my concealed.........I REALLY REALLY like the Sig P238 when heat doesn't allow for larger. Probably easier to swallow also. LMAO!

20. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

That is one "Butt Ugly" Holster! LOL