What is a good concealed carry?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry' started by fredandbarry, Feb 5, 2010.

1. fredandbarry

fredandbarry New Member

I am currently doing some research on concealed-carry weapons. I am rather new to shooting and guns in general, but I desperately want to learn! I figure that a sawed-off shotgun is probably not the best concealed-carry weapon, but I think that a hand gun would be.

2. judgeparker

judgeparker Well-Known Member

Hi Fred My best advice is to find a local shooting range that rents guns and to try several. Hand guns are like clothes the pants that fit me may not fit you. Find one that is comfortable good quality and reliable and don't rule out a revolver. I have several of both semi auto and revolver handguns and it depends on the circumstances as to what I carry. Caliber wise do not go under a 9mm or 38 special. Do not forget after you make your purchase buy lots of ammo and practice, practice, practice. Also remember All guns are always loaded so never point that gun at anything you are not willing to destroy. This forum is a great source and its members have years of experience and a wealth of information. Have fun and be safe.

3. Windward45acp

Windward45acp Member

Fred, Judge has good advice. Go try some out. I like my Kimber Ultra CDP II 45 for a CC. But I have friends who would never carry a 1911 since it is single action. They all carry Glocks. But I'm a firm believer a gun has to excite you too, not just function correctly. Good luck, you will find the gun for you.

4. dsclaiborne31

dsclaiborne31 Well-Known Member

Judge had good advice. Personally I carry a Springfield XD 40. It is very accurate, the recoil is not that bad, and it shoots dead on. It also has one of the best factory triggers out of the box of any other hand gun out there. If you send it off to have the combat trigger job with overtravel adjustment done like I did to the Springfield custom shop the trigger can drop from 5.5 pounds and mushy to what mine is which is 4 pounds 11.4 ounces with very little if any reset on the trigger. It makes double taps and followup shots much quicker. Also, you can have the barrel refitted for match grade accuracy, this creates a tighter lock up on the gun. People say it does not make a difference but I can tell it does it has made a major difference on the accuracy of my gun. Here in Tennessee we can either open carry or conceal carry. I have no trouble concealing the xd and rarely open carry.

5. dsclaiborne31

dsclaiborne31 Well-Known Member

Fred just so that you know you can legally carry a sawed off shot gun so long as the rifling in the barrel is rifled. You cannot carry smooth bore sawed offs. For example check out the taurus public defender, it shoots .410 buckshot and 45 colt. The trigger pull is about 10 million pounds so if you arent used to a heavy trigger pull you probably wont be able to shoot it with any accuracy but it is essentially a sawed off shotgun the way around it was they rifled the barrel so that makes it legal.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PD410.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U62ooYaQIrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttFslPwN ... re=related

6. kcmitch

kcmitch Active Member

First choice, auto or revolver, or as they are also known respectfully, bottom feeders or wheel guns. Next would be the size, full size, compact or sub-compact. Then caliber is determined. Large, medium or small. Sorry, no flavors. Take time to talk to forum members, gun shop personnel and friends who carry. Buy once and get good with what you have. The bullets are always bigger on the other side of the range. I went through several guns in my process, but finally found a good match for me. You can eliminate a lot of buying, trading and selling by your research, which seems to be what you are doing. My choice, a Smith and Wesson 3913 which I happened on by accident, but sold for a good price. I love it. Read the reports on it in the pistol section of this site. Good luck in your search and let us know what you chose.

7. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

OK, Fred . . . one of the first considerations is how long will you be carrying every day. If you carry most of the day, a three inch barrel semi-automatic will make it much more tolerable than a five inch barrel.

You can get a semi-automatic in most any caliber, and carrying it outside the waist band is easier to me than inside, but that is another choice you will have to make.

Renting guns at a gun range is a good idea, but it can get mighty expensive. It's usually $15 per trip, and they usually make you buy their over-priced ammo to go w/it, and that doesn't include the $15 or more range fee.

All the posts here have given good advice. Read them all at least two times more, then go look at guns. Like windward said, when you handle a gun that excites you, you will know it. Please keep us informed on your decision. Thanks.

8. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

Good stuff here. For someone new to shooting, I would strongly suggest a revolver. No safeties, no jams, no FTEs, no stovepipes, no stripping to clean, less parts, etc.

Also, I'd go lightweight for CC. My favorite rev is a Taurus 85, 5 shot Titanium in a slip on/off Fobus paddle holster.

Carry ammo like Hornady, Cor-Bon, Federal or Winchester personal protection JHPs make it an extremely effective & comfortable option.

You may need a different grip, diff sights, longer barrel, etc., until you can hit the mark.

Can't carry if you can't qualify. If possible, take an experienced shooter with you.

Once you become profficient, you may opt for something else or find options to suit diff occassions.

Absolutely try a like model at the range first. If you can hit the target with a 2" S&W rev, you can hit it with any other 2" revolver.

9. electricman4759

electricman4759 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with all the posts, if you are going to carry a weapon on your person you shoud get your paper work in order. Then go to a range that will let you rent and go through as many weapons as you can. Once you find a cal. you like then think about were and how you want to call this weapon. After you have that info now you can go gun shopping.

My carry weapon is a Glock 27 (40 cal), this is a sub compact that I carry in an inside waist band holster. This holster is on me about 8-10 hrs. per day, for me it's very comfortable.

So have fun and picking a gun to carry and forget about it once you are wearing it.

10. JustBen

JustBen Well-Known Member

I agree you should take your time and get the right gun. But if I had taken that "smarter" approach, I would not have the awsome collection of many different types of guns I have today. LOL.

PS: Don't tell my wife.

11. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

Ben, That's FUNNY! I mentioned getting another gunsafe. It didn't go over too well.

#1 for CC is it has to be comfortable & easy to secure. otherwise you'll leave it home too often.

I like a short grip for concealment + lightweight. Then a Fobus-type paddle holster that just fits over belt & pulls the sidearm in tight. Easy off, too, with no threading a belt through the holster.

I'm also quite fond of pocket carry and Kel-Teks with clips.

A 7 oz Kel-Tek .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 at home.

12. JustBen

JustBen Well-Known Member

My gun safes' primary role is to hide new guns from my thrifty wife who does not have guns in our budget. Hope she is not a member of Gundirectory.

13. rondalesmith

rondalesmith New Member

I have an older Walther PPK/S 9mm. It's fits nicely under my arm in my Jackass Rig or in an ankle rig.

I've carried it since 1975.

14. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

Personally, I could never bring myself to use an ankle rig.

If someone pulled a Bowie knife on me in a parking garage or wherever, I think I know what would happen if I 'bent-over' to access my ankle.

With the average 'shoot' lasting an average of 2-5 seconds, I spend time on my draw, since my window-of-opportunity may be very, very short. [DUH, 2-5 secs]

I need to practice my draw much more, like I used to. I'm getting a little too complacent.

15. exhaust

exhaust Well-Known Member

I use an ankle holster with a Glock 27 on rare occasion. It's not an ideal carry method, (lacking a fast, smooth draw), but at least a gun's on Me. It takes some good practice to drop on one knee, pull the pants-leg up and draw. Clint Smith has some pointers on "ankle holsters" in one of His instructional vid's.

16. dborfsl

dborfsl New Member

Although it's a little large, I carry the S&W Sigma 40 cal. It is a great weapon.

17. Ratsass

Ratsass Member

Since you are new to the CHL, I'd say go with a two inch J frame five shot Smith. Get an air weight .38 and an uncle mike's size 0 in the waist band clip on holster. This is the easiest method I've found to carry the little J frame. You can carry it in the front, or either strong arm or cross draw. The gun is also light enough to carry in a jacket pocket. If you want to spend twice the cash, get one of the Airlite Smiths in scandium and titainum it's only 12 oz. and will shoot .357 magnums if you wish. I'd recommend sticking with .38 ammo until you get proficient with the gun though.

Forget about fancy sights as they are pretty basic on snubbies. Practice point shooting at man sized targets less than 20 feet away. These are "down and dirty" guns meant to be used at close ranges. Get one of the Bodyguard models with a shrouded hammer or a Centennial model with an internal hammer. You can fire from inside your jacket pocket five times without worrying about getting the hammer snagged. Also, if you carry in a front kidney position, there is no hammer digging into your gut all day.

A light weight Taurus is a cheaper alternative almost as good as the Smith. I am hearing good things about the Ruger LCR as well but have yet to fire one.

18. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

I am VERY fond of my 5 shot, lightweight 38 snubbies. They never FTF or stovepipe. Always go BANG. One is 17 oz & other is 12 oz, both +P rated and SA/DA.

One has a shrouded hammer, so it can be fired from a coat pocket...... something few people ever do twice, OUCH!... unless their life depends on it. LOL

19. St8Shooter

St8Shooter Well-Known Member