weapon choice

Discussion in 'Gun Chatter' started by LITTLEMAMA, Mar 10, 2007.

1. LITTLEMAMA

LITTLEMAMA New Member

Just got my ccw and looking for a canceal weapon. Kel-tec seems to be the way to go but any model recomendations?

2. WheatSnackBread

WheatSnackBread Member

I have zero experience with Kel-Tec, but I don't want to because they seem kinda cheap. I figure a firearm is something you shouldn't compromise on. If small is what you're looking for, try the Smith and Wesson M&P Compact. I carry it, or a USP compact. Both in .40.

3. agonist

agonist Well-Known Member

I don't have a Kel-tec YET. I haven't heard a bad word about them. If you are looking for a true pocket gun that's the way to go. The other plastic guns in that size suck and the steel pocket guns of comparable power are so heavy you may as well carry a holstered compact. If you are looking at anything bigger than the .380 I would go with Wheatsnack's suggestions or posssibly the Springfield XD compact.

By your screen name I take it you are a smaller sized woman. The compact guns in .40 cal might be a bit much for you in terms of recoil. The Kel-tec comes in a .32 which would be ok for up close self defense and relatively easy to handle or a .380 which would be a better defense cartridge. Don't bother with the .25cal, you're better off with .22lr and that's just barely better than nothing.

If you have a range nearby where you can try some things it's definetly worth a few bucks to educate yourself.

4. shot4funinsun

shot4funinsun Well-Known Member

I have heard nothing but great comments on the Kahr models but from experience I could not comment on them. I have heard nothing but bad comments on the Kel Tec models and have fired one that was totally crappy. But hey to each his own. Good luck

5. fuzzy1911

fuzzy1911 Well-Known Member

Maybe a taurus model 85 38spl then again i am not that small and the 85 feels small to me but maybe not to you. I'm 5'10" and kinda big ok i'm over weight but it feels small none the less. I can handle a pretty big gun like 44mag and the desert eagle so i dont know it may not be the right size for you. But it is reliable and cheap and they have many finishes to offer so give them a try

6. gettingsane

gettingsane New Member

I have heard both good and bad about the KEL-TEC and at times I think about picking one up but they do seem pretty cheap. For now, I carry a S&W 442 Airweight .38 in my front pocket and I love it.

7. Bonfyr

Bonfyr Member

The only thing that makes me nervous about Kel-tec is their expected life. If you look on their faq on their website they state the expected life of one of their firearms is 6000 rounds. I put that through my Beretta within 4 months of buying it. Maybe they will last longer, but thats kel-tec's estimate.

8. 5shot

5shot Active Member