Walther G22 Reviews

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by kep4321, Jun 11, 2007.

1. kenny19

kenny19 Member

I have tried them all, Federal, CCI Mini Mag, you name it no luck!!!!! I am going to dump it and buy a SR22... My Ruger has NEVER let me down.... If Walther cannot fit it then something must be wrong... I tell everyone not to buy a G22.. I almost wonder if the spring in the mag does not have enough tension, becase it jams when loading not ejecting....

2. RSES

RSES New Member

I bought a G22 a year ago. Was plagued by constant jamming problems, rarely could get more than one round off. Was using Remmington ammo. Nearly gave up! Then found Lapua (italian) ammo a few months ago and never had a stoppage since! There is hope!

3. kenny19

kenny19 Member

I have never heard of Lapua. I will have to do some research on where I can purchase this. I called them and I actually have to give them credit. They sent me a FED EX shipping lable and they want to take a look at it free of charge. I guess there is still some customer loyalty out there. I think they are aware that this is a common problem with the G22.

4. kep4321

kep4321 Well-Known Member

Kenny19, I am glad to hear that you are going to be able to send it back. I truly hope that they will take care of you.

RSES, What are you paying for that ammo? I hope you can get that ammo for less than what I saw it for on the net. I swear that I can shoot my AR15 for what some of that stuff was running for! I wouldn't even shoot my G22 if that is all that it would use. Unless I was using it for actual competition I can't see buying anything that expensive for a .22LR

I will be the first to tell you that Remington ammo (especially Thunderbolts) don't work well in my gun. As a cheaper alternative try Federal Lightning (1200 somthing FPS) ammo which is cheap as hell when you can find it. Federal Target Match ammo in 325 round bricks is a little more expensive but works good. It also states that it is for semi auto .22LR firearms. Last but not least, the more expensive ones are the CCI Mini Mags, these seem to be the most reliable. I have been able to do nice tight 10 round groups at 50-60 yards over and over again with any of the ammo that I mentioned using nothing but a bipod and a $50 scope at an outdoor range.

5. kenny19

kenny19 Member

Hey Kep... I did some research on that Lapua ammo and started laughing... I would be on wel-fare if I used that stuff... If I wanted to spend that kind of money on ammo I would have kept my socom 308. hahahaha I will send it back and see if they can fix it. I will let all you folks know what happens...

6. RSES

RSES New Member

U guys crack me up! Well here in PH theres not too much choice so use remington and dig the jam out after each shot or use Lapua - they are the only two available Ive found. Incidently I lost one of the ejector springs a while ago when cleaning - made absolutely no difference to the gun...wonder why they put it in the first place. Got a silencer for it..paid 340 US equivilent. How much in the states for one?

7. kep4321

kep4321 Well-Known Member

RSES, never needed a supressor and never saw one for it anywhere. I have no idea what they go for. Sorry bout cracking on your ammo, I didn't realize your location!

8. NicholasJ

NicholasJ New Member

I have had a G22 for over a year now. I have put 1500+ round of Federal HV ammo. I have NEVER had a single jam...never in 1500 rounds. WANNA KNOW WHY??? Cause I clean the bajesus out of my guns. The G22 is NOT that hard to take apart. I can disassemble and reassemble it within 15 minutes. If you think it's hard to strip, then you're not a man. It's just a few push rods, and making sure a spring doesnt come off. The magazine safety thingy is simple to put back on. I used a dremel tool to polish every piece of metal that I could get to. This made the action so smooth. Each time I'm finished shooting, I completely disassemble the rifle, and use cleaning drill bits to brush away any caked on residue. If you don't clean your rifle, its going to jam...no matter what ammo you use. This is common sense people.

Here is a link to a walk through that will REALLY help you out on field stripping the G22.

http://www.leskanet.net/~mleska/project ... index.html

9. Bullsbutt

Bullsbutt New Member

I got my paws on a used G22 which came with the Walther scope and red dot from a local gun store who had it listed on Gunbroker (aka Gun Matchmaker).

I fell in love with "G" the momemt I held her. :p

Unfortunately love makes men stupid and I got her even though she was dirty from firing by someone else (inuendo unintended). All the other used guns I've purchased were sparkling. Even more stupid was that I didn't even test fire her...and I got her at a gun store...with an indoor 100yd range. Yeah...really stupid. :S

Well, with some of the terrible reviews above, I was worried about what I got myself into...will dirty "G" take all my money and give me nothing but trouble?

Took her to the range early this morning...

...and her and I were dancing in unison all over the targets! :D

SWEEEEEET!!!!

I used my standard Federal 525 ammo (now on sale at Gander Mountain shipped for $15 a box after rebate...I have like 30 boxes of the stuff). After hundreds of rounds, only one stovepipe - which is better than my other guns. Not only that, the accuracy was amazing! I also tried a few others including CCI Subsonic, but the F525 was good enough and bountiful, so I kept using it.

The best I got was 9 shots into a single 1/2" hole (had one stray/flier about a quarter inch out). Even at that range, the laser was a bit "blobbish", so this was quite amazing for non-target bulk ammo. :)

All in all, one of the best purchases I've made and I'm in love all over again (don't tell my wife please). =D

Also I'm no stranger to problem Walthers...I have a SP22 M2 (horrible trigger for target shooting) that for a while would fire empty or with a spent shell, but not when loaded with a live round! Jeez.

Ken

10. Bullsbutt

Bullsbutt New Member

If there are doubters about the accuracy potential, here is a review from Dec 2004 Guns Magazine where they got a 0.40" group average for 3 5-shot groups at 50 yards using Wolf Match Extra (the best was 0.31" for one group of 5 shots!):

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... 5758/pg_2/

Try that with another $400 out of box semi 22lr (not to mention how unbelievably fun this one is to shoot). :)

I went to the range again this morning and best was a 1/4"-1/2" group at 25yds (using Federal Target ammo); all 10 bullets in the same hole this time. :D

Some observations:

-Scope can be knocked around since it's mount (plastic stock frame) seems flexible. I used the laser and can tell that the scope crosshairs can shift around. This is likely the cause of many people's inaccuracy. Maybe I/someone can make a solid metal scope mount to the barrel.

-Shoots better after the barrel is warmed up.

-laser is a blob at 25 yards...makes the groupings even more amazing since I was aiming for "Center Of Blob".