Taurus Model 65/66 Reviews

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by 1945, Sep 7, 2006.

1. 1945

1945 Member

These reviews seem to be some what jumble together so Id like to make it clear that the 605 s/s 2 inch 24 ounce 5 shot revolver is the subject of this review.

I really like this gun.

Having thoroughly checked out the S&W model 60 I have no regrets with my purchase of the Taurus 605 at a savings of around $150.

The workmanship from the forging/machining to the choice of grips is first rate.

I must say I did not find it comfortable or pleasant to fire .357 loads in it, definitely no damage to the piece or me but the recoil is enough to instill slight pain to the area between the thumb and forefinger, and decrease the 5 inch groups @ 25 Yards I achieved with REM. 125gr. JHP+Ps.

One last thing.

The trigger on this instrument is so light and smooth especially in single action - Never apply your finger to the trigger unless you want it to fire.
  2. cb404

cb404 New Member

I love this little gun. I have the Total Titanium model and despite its light weight, the recoil of the .357 mag is not bad at all. Just put your sight at the 6 o clock and it is dead on. This is a great carry weapon.

3. cb404

cb404 New Member

This a well priced revolver regading the butt is about 3 inches short and needs a solid after market grip. I like the fact that the barrel is ported. U would have 2 take your S&W or Ruger to a gunsmith 4 that.I have 28.0z SS model.I found its nose heavy and that funky grip uncomfertable. I find this handgun to handle fair.If it was a car it has alot of understeer.It takes some adjusting while shoting it.Its an outdoors gun like hunting or shooting a pig dead. It takes getting use to it??
  4. TrumpetShooter

TrumpetShooter Member

I bought my Taurus 65 NIB for $309 on sale at Bradis Guns in Camby, Indiana just after New Years Day, 2006. It is a 38-ounce real-steel .357 Magnum double-action service revolver, nicely blued, with a 4-inch full underlug barrel. After 10 months of use and 1,850 rounds of ammunition fired through it, I feel that the Taurus 65 is a stout carry piece, nearly perfect for its intended purpose. (The Model 66 is a stainless steel version of the Model 65.)

From full-house magnum loads to light target .38s, the Taurus 65 is a pleasure to shoot. After burnishing the barrel and seasoning it with my favorite barrel lube, I can fire several boxes of lead bullets of the appropriate hardness through this revolver with virtually no leading. The medium-heavy frame tames the recoil of the Sellier and Bellot 158-grain jacketed soft points, and steadies this shooters shakey old hands with handloaded target .38 specials.

Trigger pull and sight acquisition being relative subjects, I like both in this Taurus. That said, I learned to shoot with a stiff-triggered semi-automatic combat pistol. Compared to that trigger, the Taurus 65 double-action trigger pull is smooth and easy. To me, the double-action trigger pull just right defense--not so light as to invite accidental discharges, and not so heavy as to interfere with accuracy. With its 4-inch barrel, this gun is legal for deer hunting in Indiana, and at close range I wouldnt pass up a shot at the right sized deer, with the right ammo and a good position for a possible second shot. The fixed iron sights are of the traditional service revolver style. They dont snag on holsters or clothing, and they are adequate for any close-range defense work during daylight hours as well as after-hours social work under common city lights.

Accuracy is another relative term. I dont know exactly how straight this gun shoots at 25 yards, as I am not a bullseye shooter, and I do not have access to a clamp rest. Nor is pinpoint bullseye target work the intended purpose of this tool. I do know that a shooter of my skill level can hit an undersized bowling pin target repeatedly and consistently at 30 feet with it, with several bullets during a session going through a single jagged hole. This gun is also capable of ringing the 100-yard gong with 158-grain full-house magnum loads with the sights pointed at the middle of the gong, and minute of deer vitals accuracy at 25 yards.

I love the factory rubber grips on the Taurus 65. They fit my hand perfectly, absorb recoil, and are thin enough at the butt end to conceal well under any shirt that I would wear. I also have a set of short boot-style carry grips that work well and conceal even better in certain situations. The full-sized wooden target grips I bought from an e-Bay store for $1 dress up Taurus 65 nicely, and they work well with .38 specials as well as light to medium .357 magnums.

The one thing I find slightly frustrating about this gun is the short extractor. Since it is a full-underlug barrel design, it would have been so very easy to make the extractor rod long enough to push spent .357 magnum cases all the way out of the cylinder. For that shortcoming, alone, I would perhaps give the Taurus 65 a 4.5 bullet rating instead of a 5.0, but I am rounding up to a 5.0, since a 4.5 is not an option. Even with the short extractor, I have no problem expelling brass by tilting the muzzle upward. Its not so much a lack of function as it is the disapointment in the lack of design creativity.

Good gun. Right price.

BILLHU Member

Ordered Taurus 65SS4 from Target World in Cincinnati, Ohio and picked it up 11-15-2006. Was not able to use it untill Saturday 11-18-2006, hand loads 158 grain SWC (50 each) 3.2 grain Bullseye and (50 each) 7.0 grain 2400. These are a very pleasant to shoot and grouped well 3 at 50 ft. The Bullseye burned cleaner than the 2400, I am going to try Unique next time.Why shoot hot loads for targets at short range save those for hunting and/or protection.

Bill H.
  6. azkid53

azkid53 Member

I Love my model 66.I have an older one (8Years) shot tons of ammo through it with no Problems.I suggest you add a Hogue rubber grip for better control if your revolver does not have one.

BILLHU Member

Took my newly purchased Taurus Model 65 SS4, after reloading 150 shells all with 158 LSWC, 50 with grain Bullseye, 50 with 4.5 grain Unique and 50 with 7.0 grain 2400 to the Target World range. After a little practice was able to group 2 at 50 off hand.
  8. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Member

I have a 3 stainless 605 model.

Gun came new from factory with a completely trashed barrel - pure junk. Chatter marks, chunks of rifling missing - real bad. The only thing worse then the barrel was the customer service. The gun wasnt even 3 days old when I sent it off (at my expense, they wouldnt pay for shipping). They had it 5 months - every time I called they would say it should be only 2 more weeks. Finally after 20+ calls I had to threaten legal action to get results. They sent me out a replacement revolver. When that gun showed up it had flaws in the finish and 1 bad spot in the rifling. It functioned well so I gave up and just tossed it in the same.

These gun are sharp. I put some Rosewood grips on mine - made it really pretty. Gun functions well and locks up reasonably tight. The 3 barrel carries well, seems the perfect size for a defensive .357 magnum

Taurus needs to get there customer service together - they have a decent product but they dont treat the customer well at all. This is my last Taurus product....not buying another.
  9. piper

piper Member

Ive had my 608 4 ported/blued for a little over a year and many range session with 38 and 357. Previously owned a SW 686 and this gun is just as accurate for far less cash. Its a plessure to shoot and has an excellent trigger in single action mode. Its a big, bad, heavy, intimidating gun that has been completely reliable and can connect the dots at the range if I do my part. Bluing is deep and rich and adjustable sights are excellent. Great target and hunting weapon for the money.
  10. Retiredwheelgunner

Retiredwheelgunner Active Member

I have owned a Taurus 605 for over a year.Today I finally shot 357 magnums through it.It was not as bad as I thought it would be as far as recoil.It was manageable .I would recommend the 605 highly even shooting 38s.
  11. mike_in_md

mike_in_md New Member

I bought a model 65 used about 2 years ago for $250.00. This revolver was made in 1994 and was in like new condition. I have put about 3 thousand rounds through it, mostly 148 gr Wad Cutters that I reloaded for target practice. I think that the quality for the money is hard to beat. Comes with Lifetime Warranty. Im very impressed with the high polish blueing job, which is still beutiful even after many thousands of rounds.
  12. rocloco

rocloco New Member

I have the model 605. It worked great for the 1st 300 (.357) rounds - then the cylinder locking pin jammed down. The cylinder wouldnt seat securely back into the frame, just flopped open with gravity. Took it to a Taurus dealer and they fixed it in 15 minutes, but the next time I took it out same problem started again after 15 rounds.

I took the cylinder off and removed the extractor rod - removed the springs and cleaned the insides of the rod really good then lubed it back up again. Took about 4 cleanings/lubings and reassmbly to get it working properly.

Hoping it will stand up to some rounds now. Feeling unconvinced of its reliability though. The inside of the extractor rod did have some foreign debris and Im hoping that was the problem. Other than the cylinder issue I really like the revolver. Will post a follow up after I shoot it again.
  13. jonas_357

jonas_357 Member

I just bought my Taurus Tracker 627 6 1/5 last week! Wonderful, its a very beautiful gun. A real piece of art!!! Mine is new but was made in 2004: its obviously an uncommon model for it has an unported barrel. I precisely didnt want a ported one, so Im very happy with it. Does anyone know if the unported 627 is a very rare gun? Even a collector?

I like shooting with mine. Its the more accurate gun I own, much more than my semi-autos (I have a CZ 85 B and a Norinco 1911 A1). Its great to shoot it, the rubber grip is definitively confortable. Yeah! I LOVE that gun! I rate it excellent!!!
  14. jonas_357

jonas_357 Member

Hi! been getting lots of emails regarding the 627 7 round revolver.Like i mentioned before this is not my favorite gun.

It handles like it's name unpredictable.

I test fired it 200 rounds and it's still hard to predict it's accuracy. But since it can fire a milder load like 38+130GR it's accuracy improves. But like a mentioned before this an outdoors gun .

It does come tapped for drilling and installing a scope but this feature will ad more weight. Yet the ported barrel compensates the recoil. I been told that with a 357 magnum load it can knock a 500 pound deer down from 50 yards away.Good luck and happy hunting !...
  15. yellowkatt

yellowkatt Member

taurus 617ss 2" barrel. no porting, standard rubber grip. the fit and finish on this revolver is comparable to guns costing twice as much. having 7 shots of .357magnum, or .38 special +P or .38 special is very comforting. the grip is a little small, no biggie as i bought a hogue grip for target shooting. the DA trigger pull is smooth and not all that heavy. the SA trigger pull is crisp and breaks at around 5.5lbs. i purchased this based on price(<$400) and features, like the size of the frame, not too big, but not too small, sevon rounds, somewhat of a S&W clone for $200 less. conceals pretty easy and comfortable. seems reliable. cleaned it and lubricated it, the trigger is smooth. the cylinder locks up pretty good too. would recomend this revolver to anyone looking for a reasonable "2 snubbie. good job taurus.
  16. paf040

paf040 New Member

I purchased a Taurus 605 for off duty carry. It had some minor problems at first, but with a few adjustments turned out just fine. Federal .357 mag 110gr hollow points and .38 110gr +P+ No problem. Has a heck of a kick with the magnums though. I highly recommend it for self defense use.
  17. coolpapacatdj

coolpapacatdj Active Member

I have had my Tracker 627 for almost a year now. It is a damned accurate gun! Admittedly, I only use it for target practice using .38 Special rounds. I am not a competitive shooter, but out of a usual 100 rounds fired, I get around 45 in the black and all are in center of mass (human). I'd recommend this gun to anyone wanting a home defense gun or a just plain fun gun. Mine has a 4" barrel.

PS: Today (8-8-07) I got an all-time best of 87 out of 100 fired!
  18. doom455

doom455 New Member

Good gun smooth trigger accurate. I prefer it to my s&w's great feel and grips. I have the 608 with the 8 3/4 barrel with 38 special or 357 magnum recoil is at a minimum
  19. fuzzy1911

fuzzy1911 Well-Known Member

I finally shot mine yesterday with both 38spl and 357mag i liked the 38's more than the 357's i have the 4 inch with the comp and it controls them better. All in all it is a good gun i love the grips but s&w has a better fit and finish but with a little break in time this baby will treat you right provided of course you treat it right
  20. otrclwotpo

otrclwotpo Active Member

Is the Model 605 a heavy enough frame for the .357 or would Model 617 be better? I have two Model 85's in the .38, one the Ultralite, and like them both.