Savage 64G Reviews

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by stviper, Oct 6, 2007.

1. stviper

stviper Member

I bought this gun awhile back for $100 brand new. For the price, it is a very nice rifle. It's built more flimsy than my Savage centerfire rifles, but what can u expect for $100. This gun likes to be clean. If you get it really dirty the bolt won't close all the way. That's the only reason why I gave it 4 instead of 5.

2. Mick3288

Mick3288 Member

Can anyone give me some more info on this rifle?

3. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

The only information I've got is that it's a .22 LR cal., 20 1/4 in. barrel with adj. rear sight, 10 shot detachable magazine, the 64F has a black synthetic stock and the 64G has a checkered hardwood stock. Comes with a thumb operated rotary safety, the accu-trigger isn't available on this model. It weighs in at 5 1/2 lbs and was first released in 1996. Manufacturers suggested retail price starts at $175.00. Values for a used rifle start at $145.00 for a rifle in 100% condition, down to $60.00 for one in 60% condition.

4. corey150

corey150 New Member

i got this gun three years ago, fired around 2000 rouds through it never had a single problem. they dont require much cleaning(though i clean it pretty often) and i have not once had a missfire

5. Hay2bale

Hay2bale Active Member

I bought this gun (actually mine is marked as a Lakefield) about twenty years ago for less than $100. I just could not afford a Ruger 10/22 !

I live on a farm and this has been my predator control (raccoon and fox, mostly) gun for that time. At first, there were occaisonal FTF, but for the past 19 years, she has not missed a beat. And it has been banged around pretty good in the pick-up truck. Once I shot a fox that had a duck in it's mouth, and the duck was fine. That's the practical accuracy that I count on, as well as good luck!

Last year I bought two Ruger 10/22s - they are much more finnicky about ammo, and the sights are not as good. The Savage is still my go to gun. I highly recommend this gun.

6. KingCobra6

KingCobra6 New Member

Does anyone know if this is a good rifle compared to the Marlin 60? what would be better for a irst rifle

7. blindjeff

blindjeff New Member

better than the marlin 60 no jams no misfires i have both i like this one the best the marlin is not nearley as good a gun