Ruger LCR Lightweight Carry Revolver Reviews

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by 96Bronco, Jul 26, 2009.

1. 96Bronco

96Bronco Member

Haha where are the proud owners of the LCR, this little pocket pal excites me. Would love to hear some honest opinions on it. Range guy said they may consider getting this gun in since cc licensing is getting so popular.

Have read some pretty decent reviews, but all major sources... Fingers crossed it sounds like a fun one to own.

Cheers!

2. bill23f

bill23f New Member

I bought one 2 months ago, have put >200 rounds through it--shoots easily with .38 non-+P ammo, recoil mild with standard Hogue grips. Accuracy as expected. Excellent trigger pull for a revolver--my 6-year-old can easily pull it--most reviews commend positively on this. Only downside is a metallic rattle when shaken--due to the hammer pin; not very surreptitious for concealed carry--I Emailed Ruger and they spun it as a positive--can carry a round under the hammer pin with no worries. This is a good gun for what it is, and certainly can be handled by a novice shooter.

3. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

I dropped by my gun shop today and they had one of these on the shelf. I'm very impressed with this lightweight revolver. I couldn't believe how light it was! I have no doubt it would disappear in a pocket holster or an IWB. Only drawback to something this light is when you put +P loads through it. It's going to take some practice to control it during rapid fire exercises, even double and triple taps. The one thing it has going for it is a fantasticly smooth trigger pull. The best I've ever felt in a stock gun. If you have ever thought about buying a 2" snubbie, you owe it to yourself to look at this one!

4. electricman4759

electricman4759 Well-Known Member

Hello 96bronco,

Did you ever hear from anyone on this item, and have you been to the range with it to see how this unit hamdles? If you can give me some feed on this item that would be great also will you let me know what type of ammo are you useing. I am looking for something for my wife.

5. bill23f

bill23f New Member

Wanted to add a few things: after > 500-600 rounds, I've found it shoots well with +P--Black Hills 125 gr JHP and Winchester 125 gr JHP, shoots well with Hornady non-+P critical Defense (expensive), with Remington non-+p ball ammo the 5th round often (twice per box of 50) unseats from its jacket and prevents firing and rotation of that round--Remington is crap. Accuracy is so-so, I plan to add a lasergrip--however, with standard Hogue grip I can fire all day with no problems. For a holster, I'm using an Uncle Mike's pocket holster designed for .25 ACP small pistol--happened by accident, but fits this gun well (doesn't cover trigger) and keeps it upright in the pocket.

Overall, I like this gun, but it's inaccurate at more than 10-15 yards. Light, easy to carry.

6. electricman4759

I just purched this weapon for my wife and we took it to range, she ran about 150 rounds through the gun. She loved this item, I had to drag her out of the lane. If that is any showw of this gun I hope more ladies get this item because it works well as a carry.

7. electricman4759

My wife loves this gun but it hurts her hand after several rounds. Can anyone suggest a glove that would work for her and her tinder hands.

8. rogerthedodger

rogerthedodger New Member

I am using a golf glove. They come in right and left hand, are thin so they do not hamper your flexibility. enough leather to protect skin. It does look wimpy for a guy to wear a whiteglove(me) but wat the heck, who cares?

I bought an LCR after trying one at the range, now for the wait to pick up (10) days.

9. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

Smith and Wesson has a line of shooting gloves that come with and without palm padding. Your local shooting supply should be able to hook you up with one. I use one, it's a fingerless model with a lightly padded palm. It's a great shooting companion, especially after a full day of practice.

I'd also like you to let us know what you think of your new LCR when you get it Roger. I've had my eye on one of them as well but have been waiting to see how it holds up. Ruger hasn't had much luck with the last two handguns they've released, the SR-9 and the LCP. Both had significant first generation problems.

10. kcmitch

kcmitch Active Member

I purchased this revolver and absolutely fell in love with it. It is my main carry gun. I use an IWB holster and forget I have it on. I have put +P and personal defense rounds through it and found that it's recoil was no greater than my Taurus 856, which was twice the weight. For a light weight gun I think the recoil is well in control. The trigger is the sweetest I have seen on a stock revolver. It hits point of aim for me. I also have the laser sight from CrimsonTrace and they are awesome. I would highly recommend this gun.

11. rogerthedodger

rogerthedodger New Member

I have had this LCR for two months now. It shoots accurate, but sure is painful. I gave up the golf glove, had to get something with more padding, got one with enough to shoot a few rounds without flinching. Now have been shooting Gold Dot Special +P 135 Gr. GDHP short barrel(not too many, they are expensive). This is my Carry weapon now.

12. electricman4759

I went to look for the shooting gloves by S&W for my wife and I couldn't find them on the S&W web site. If someone could give me a hint of were it is that would be great.

13. dsclaiborne31

dsclaiborne31 Well-Known Member

According to numerous people I have talked to and the ruger website the trigger pull on this is supposedly light I think close to 8 pounds and has very minimal overtravel/reset.

14. kep4321

kep4321 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at this revolver for carry and this is one of the front runners in my search. It wont get shot much but will be carried around every where. I have two carry guns (Glock 27 and Ruger LCP) that I use depending on what kind of clothes I'm wearing to conceal them. The LCP is 9.4 oz and I can carry that around in a pocket holster all day and almost forget I have it. At only 13.5 oz this won't be much heavier (but has a bigger bang). I want a bigger bang than my LCP but not as heavy as my Glock 27.

Being in wonderfuly hot florida I wear a lot of cargo shorts and t-shirts for much of the year. Light and small is preferable for whatever I choose to carry for most of the year.

15. chuckroast

chuckroast Member

Sorry for the double post guys-computer prob. But check out that review. I carry this over my AirWeight Smith because it is a bit lighter. Very fine gun

16. Hardee

Hardee Member

Bought this gun a couple months ago for my wife. Well, she actually picked it out, I only paid for it : ). She loves the feel and doesn't have a bit of trouble shooting it. Trigger pull is good for her and since it doesn't have a safety, I like the idea of a slightly heavier trigger pull. Since we haven't put many rounds through it, I'll give it a four, just in case there is trouble down the round. I would recommend this gun to anyone who wants a small light 38 to carry.

17. lastrebel

lastrebel Member

i own a ruger 38 gp100 which i love .I bought it very recent shot 100 rounds in it no probs .Was goona get lcr 38 as my carry gun .I read all reveiws which most are good .But I saw this on you tube which some one had trouble I know this sounds crazy but any suggestions ? or any one have any trouble with it? any help or comments i will app thank you in advance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0h3tz4pAF0 is what i saw on you tube but i did notice he did not mention anything after the problem

18. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

Two days ago I put 50 rounds of Remington 38 spl. through my new LCR. The recoil is noticeable, but definitely controllable. There were no misshaps of any kind.

Using a full-size profile target, and shooting at seven yards, only two of the 50 rounds didn't hit the profile. The ones that did would have put the perp in a world of pain. With five shots to the head, only one missed the profile.

The patterns improved dramatically when it was pointed out that I was yanking the trigger, rather than squeezing it.

My ammo supply for this gun has grown considerably in the last couple of days, so the next range session will include at least 100 rounds.

19. Treadlite

Treadlite New Member

Have had the LCR for 8 months. Great gun alittle thick for a "pocket gun" like a .380. The recoil is extremly painful at the shooting range. Trigger is awesome. If you looking for a light weight reliable revolver it very good.