Ruger Blackhawk Reviews

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by eman12550, Oct 4, 2006.

1. eman12550

eman12550 New Member

A best buy! a great gun all around . very accurate, a great trigger and action and well balanced in the hand ( i have a blued 7.5 barrel model) i added a pair of soft rubber hogue grips for shooting full-house .44 mag hunting rounds and a scope rail and red dot scope ( only use high quality optics on any large bore pistol , because they will break lens!!!) . in my opinion this single action is the only choice for a top quality hunting pistol

2. Punisher

Punisher Member

I just purchased a Blackhawk in 45LC and Im dying to take it out and put a box or 2 of ammo through it. Its the blued, 4-5/8 barrel model. I even purchased a western holster and shooting rig to carry it on on the trails and such. There was a review I read recently that complained of leading in the throat because its not bored to .452 as it should be. Has anyone had this problem?

3. qncy_blw

qncy_blw Well-Known Member

Ive had a 4 5/8 inch Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 38/357mag with an interchangable 9mm cylinder for six years. Ive put alot of rounds through in both of its cylinders. I plan to shoot some of the many cowboy matches with it. Sometimes I match off some of my shooting buddies armed with DA revolvers or semi autos on falling plates. Although mechanically slower to fire Im surprised, amazed and overjoyed when I sometimes win! My Ruger seems to shoot 38 specials the most accurately, about 2 3/4 inches @ 25 yards. In 9mm, using 147gr. subsonics my smallest group was 3 1/2 inches.

4. Retiredwheelgunner

Retiredwheelgunner Active Member

Just picked up and shot the Ruger Blackhawk convertible 6.5inch BN36X-C used the 9MM cylinder right out of box shot center out of target at 25ft.Used range ammo (UMC Reminton 115 GR.MC and Federal AMERICAN eagle 124GR TMJ.I was talked out of the Taurus 9mm by the dealer.The Ruger does not use moon clips and is a well made revolver and pleasant to shoot .I will swap the cylinder and try 357Mag also I never shot mags in such a long barrel I usually shoot a Taurus .357 stainless 2.This Ruger revolver will definetly become one of my favorites. Wow no FTFs no Stovepipes this revolver is a pleasure to fire and choice of 9MM .38Special or .357 mag

5. CON-T

CON-T Well-Known Member

retiredwheelgunner, ive got three s/a pistols and a heritage revolver(rough rider). ive always loved 1911 style guns but your post makes me more interested in revolvers. ive had the .22 wheel for 6 weeks and have yet to fire it due to scheduling. im starting to look into revolvers like the one you just picked up. i have 2 ruger .45 s/as, p345 and p90 and a s/a amt.380.

im starting to like the revolvers more and more. i got the heritage for $139.00 because i couldnt resist the price....now if i could just make time to go shoot it.....

6. Retiredwheelgunner

Retiredwheelgunner Active Member

CON-T Be forewarned about the BN-36XC Its over 12 long but remember a 6.5 barrel is a plus for long range accuracy and if you hunt with it the velocity out of the barrel is higher than with a shorter length.Im on the verge of an urge to join the spray and pray crowd I got my eye on a Ruger P89 stainless .I may weaken and buy my first autopistol but I still love the dependability and easy maintenance of a good wheelgun.

7. CON-T

CON-T Well-Known Member

i sold a llama 9mm 1911 style pistol to get the p345 .45. ive considered another 9mm and it would probably be the p89, or the taurus 24/7 in .40. after that, ill concentrate on target pistols...thought about the browning buckmark or the ruger 22/45 mkIII.

my heritage has a 6.5 bbl as well....cant wait to shoot it.

8. little-wilbur

little-wilbur Member

Howdy, I picked up super blackhawk in .44 with a 10.5 barrel. I also have a lever gun with the same cartridge. I plan to fire a common rd for the two. Im going to do some research and experiment with different loads. Im fiquring with such a long barrel the super blackhawk should be as accuarate as the rifle in the shorter ranges. Any pointers?

9. qncy_blw

qncy_blw Well-Known Member

little-wilbur, I share your fervor for having handgun/rifle combos of the same caliber. I have four pistol caliber lever action carbines that I regularly match up to the same caliber handguns. In particular to your post, I have a Marlin 1894 PG in 44 mag and a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. I also have a Marlin Camp Nine that I match up with one of several of my 9mm handguns and a Ruger PC4(40sw) that I match with either a Beretta 96g or a Glock 35. These pistol/rifle combos are a lot of fun and a joy to shoot. However keep in mind that there is as much as a 350-500fps difference in muzzle velocity when shooting the same load through your like caliber gun combos. Also depending on what load your using and the distance your shooting, the point of impact will change. These variables can be abated by standardizing with one or two loads and by frequent shooting practice at targets placed at various distances.

10. little-wilbur

little-wilbur Member

After a good session at the range using different .44 loads in my superblackhawk and 94 winchester, I've come to a happy conclusion or load that shoots well with both rifle and pistol. Its a rifle load that has the same pressure limits as pistol ammo a with a .429 dia 200 gr jhp.(im not giving load powder or grains, cause i don't want feel responsible for someone's gun exploding out there) Generally, all the reloading manuals keep the rifle pressures down for for dual purposes. This pistol is slow to fire, but damm it is accurate and fun.

11. Lance139169

Lance139169 Member

I inheritated a Blackhawk .357 with the convertible 9mm set up. I have been invited to go out to New Mexico for a cowboy weekend (I am a city slicker from Chicago) I am considering buying a new Vaquero but am trying to decide if I should buy the new gun or if my Blackhawk in the right holster is OK.

12. gijoe31484

gijoe31484 New Member

i have this gun in stainless steel and it is by far my favorite gun to shoot. it is no baby though, it bites if you aren't ready for it. The only thing i had trouble with was getting new grips that fit. I didn't know that there was a big difference in the model with the round trigger guard and the square trigger guard. Great buy, great value, great fun. This gun will still in my family.

13. Punisher

Punisher Member

I have the Blackhawk in .45 colt and 4 -5/8 barrel. It fires beautifully and looks great. My only complaint is that the blueing isn't as tough as I'd like. I've worn it in my suede lined holster only twice and a small spot of blueing is already wearing off at the muzzle end while inside the holster. I have an Uberti Cattleman Chisholm and the coating is much more resiliant. That gun I've worn for 3 months and no wearing of the coating can I find. Hopefully Ruger will get enough feedback about the blueing issue and fix it on future runs.

14. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

Owned a 30 carbine 3 screw Blackhawk damn thing was almost indestructable not that i messed it up or tried. It was also DAMN ACCURATE. 100 yards isn't impossible.

15. russcoh

russcoh New Member

This gun was passed down to me, great gun, very nice open iron sights, the Bisley grip is great, as is the trigger guard, nice and smooth, no bloody finger webbing. Solid gun!

16. MagnumAl

MagnumAl Well-Known Member

Own the new model 44 mag 7 1/2 inch. Love it. Don't wimp out and use those boring cowboy action lead loads, go for the S&B soft points, or if you are he-man, federal or hornady! Wowza does she roll, and yeah, 100 yards isn't super hard. Love it, tons of fun.

17. darrellUSA

darrellUSA Active Member

Ive had a new model Super Blackhawk since December 06 10.5 inch, put on a hogue grip (stock grip was hard to hold on to)because I use Federal,with a big bang tryed Magtec today ,not so big not very impressive.tryed cowboy loads,might as well been shooting a .38,If your buying a big gun,you have to have a big bang,right?

Everybody looks and hears what you are shooting,ITS A GREAT FELLING,people stop with comments Ive even let a few shoot it while I shoot one of theirs.You meet the best people while shooting at the range.

18. gdup4sho23

gdup4sho23 New Member

Had this gun passed down to me and it is a great gun... It has some mean kick to it! I have a Taurus 9mm that doesnt compare to this gun!!

19. darrellUSA

darrellUSA Active Member

Rugerlover,I hope you got my in depht answer,Im computer new.If not hopeyou find this ,I have a square trigger on a SBH, Hogue grip part #Ruger SBH 84000 good luck

20. BigBlue

BigBlue New Member

I recently bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk in the 7 1/2" blued configuration. This is the severnth single action Ruger I have owned and so far, my favorite. I bought the gun used. It was manufactured in 1976 and has a somewhat better blueing than the newer guns have. Being a bit older, it doesn't have the lawyer warnings on it which greatly improves the looks. It also has, stamped on the top of the barrel, "Made in the 200th year of American liberty". I reload for all of my guns and plan to use this for hunting. I've chosen the Cast Performance 300gr. gas checked bullet for this revolver and it should attain about 1300FPS from this 7 1/2" barreled gun. I did add a trigger and hammer spring kit from Wolff which greatly improves the trigger. Overall a great gun at a working man's price that will outlive the shooter.

Don