Remington 700 Reviews

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by jdeangelis99, Jun 11, 2007.

1. beltbuckle

beltbuckle Well-Known Member

The 770 is essentially the cheapened version of the 700. I cant really explain the differences but if you hold both and compare you'll see and feel the differences.

2. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

Belt the only reason i'm asking is with my tax return i'm going to buy two things an XDM and a rifle and so far thats my price range for the tax return unless the 3rd w2 bumps it up some more, i'd love to get a Stag 5 in 6.8, but too spensive. and i want to be able to reach out and touch somebody so if it's got a remotely significant range i would like to know.

3. beltbuckle

It's still a quality rifle, have no worries there! The tolerances, fit and finish are just not as "nice" as on the 700. It might rattle a bit or not be quite as accurate as the same model in 700. Unless your shooting off a bench I doubt accuracy would even be noticable, and I may not even be correct with that assumption. (that it isn't as accurate)

Edit: I just remembered what a dealer said to me. (I recently purchased a 700 and was looking at all available options for the caliber I wanted: 300RUM)

The 770 series is more or less meant for the guy who needs a rifle to go deer hunting once or twice and doesn't want to put alot of money into a rifle. It'll do what you need it to, but it's not the creme de la creme by anymeans.

4. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

Thanks Belt it's either that or a Mini-30 lol

5. TEXVETNAM67-68

TEXVETNAM67-68 Well-Known Member

I have a 700 BDL Factory Custom that is now 35 years old and it will hit anything I point it at. I use a 6x18 Redfield scope and usually set it aroug 14 power and never need a spotting scope for targets and never more than one round on South Texas whitetails. I have never gone out in the morning with more than 3 cartridges. That 700 does it's job everwhere every time. Pick you target, understand the shot you are about to make and trust your 700 to do the rest.

Nuff Said

6. sfguy

sfguy New Member

I recently purchased 2 Remington 700s SPS Tactical with the bull barrel. One is .223 and the other one is .308 Winchester. Both have Nikon scopes. Very pleased with their performance.

7. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

I have a Rem 770 in .300 Win Mag. It is a bit of over-kill for anything in N. America. I opted for the 770 as I will only be using it a few times per year. With a good scope 4x16x44 I can keep a 1" group at 200 yards.

I don't hunt bears. Seen too many in the woods when I lived in the north and they are just too easy. Might as well shoot a truck.

A friend of mine has a .300 Weatherby Mag & does his own reloading ... he practices on coyotes at 500 yards.

I use my Mini-14 for them with a decent scope... once in a while.

The Rem 700 auto-loader in 30-06 was my favorite deer rifle.

8. Mulldog

Mulldog New Member

I just bought the remington 700 ADL 308 and put a Osprey 10x40x50 tactical scope. and man, is it impresive! i haven't shot it yet. but i been like a kid ina candy store. I also have a DPMS M4 223 that is also scoped with lazer, and is also fun to shoot.

9. Frankendude

Frankendude Member

Looking for Advice: Remington VTR .223

A couple years ago I bought the Rem vtr with the triangular barrel. Never been fired. The reviews online have not been particularly kind. I'm wondering what to do with the rifle. Anyone have any experience with this rifle? Is it worth keeping?

10. beltbuckle

It looks; well interesting to say the least. The only major drawback I see is that it is only a 1:9 twist barrel and is likely not suited to fire 5.56.

Your going to be restricted to shooting 62gr. bullets or lighter with that twist rate (or at least to do so accurately with proper stabilization)

It'd be fine for shooting paper at short to mid range distances or for varmints.

It's still the 700 action so it has all the positives and the negatives as any 700. The triangle barrel probably is to blame for degraded accuracy as this is only a .5-1MOA rifle but that's still plenty OK for most users! I'm also not convinced with the built in muzzle brake but that would require shooting to make a decision.

All in all, I'd say if you like it; go out and shoot it. If you still like it after, keep it!!!

11. Frankendude

Frankendude Member

Beltbuckle: Your assessment matches what I've read about the rifle. I'm not interested in having a so-so rifle. I'm planning on 1 of 2 options. Sell the rifle and buy a better one or salvage the 700 action and rebarrel and restock the rifle. Would I be better selling and starting from scratch or modify this one. I have other rifles that use .223 so I'm interested in staying with that caliber.

12. beltbuckle

That depends, whats your plan? Are you after an accurrized bolt rifle or is a semi auto adaquate?

Whats your budget as this will be the most important consideration. Smithy's aren't cheap, and if you rebarrel and stock I imagine you'd want it tuned as well.

I assume you want to fire 5.56 so you'll need somthing chambered for 5.56 or .223wylde to safely fire it.

13. Frankendude

Frankendude Member

Beltbuckle: I have about $600 in the rifle. I already have a decked out armalite AR-15 with a variety of sight/scope options. I'm more interested in a gun that has the potential to reach out to 300 - 400 yards for critters. I could put another $600 - $800 in to the rifle if that makes economic sense as opposed to starting over.

14. beltbuckle

Your AR is more than capable of that but I understand the bolt idea. With the available cash you have to put into a rifle I think your just as well off selling your rifle and buying a new one that already is built for your purposes. If you want an all out custom bolt, expect to have $2,000 or more into it.

If you go to a gunshow to sell the Remmy, I imagine the triangular barrel will grab up someones attention and you'll get nearly what you have into it. I also recomend you throw on a cheap scope just for looks if you go this route.

The Savage 12 F T/R fits your requirements well. MSRP is in the $1,300 range.

The Tikka T3 series is a good choice and the Tactical version looks very nice! $800-1,600 for these.

A Remington 700 SPS would be a fair choice

A Cooper model 21 would also be a decent choice.

15. Frankendude

Frankendude Member

Beltbuckle: Thanks for your responses. Kind of thought this is where I'd end up with this thing. One last thing please, I was under the impression that 5.56 and .223 were essentially interchangible. Your suggestion about the .223wylde indicates I'm wrong about this. Would you mind enlightening me about this. I assume my AR will accomodate either.

16. beltbuckle

Rifles chambered for .223remington use a different throat configuration than the .223 wylde and 5.56. .223 can be safely fired from any rifle designed for 5.56.

The .223 has a shorter leade than the 5.56 which is designed for greater accuracy. The longer leade of the 5.56 is designed for higher preassures, volume shooting and reliability.

Tests have confirmed that chamber preassure can be significantly higher if 5.56 is fired in a rifle chambered for .223 remington which can cause possible hazzards for the firearm and the shooter.

The caliber itself; .223 is rated at 50,000 CUP and the 5.56 at 60,000. this difference is enough that it could cause a failure in a chamber rated for .223.

Whats this mean in the real world? IDK, I havent run into anyone who's blown up a .223 rifle because of firing 5.56. In fact the only thing I've heard is that it's been suspected as the cause of ejection issues. I suspect that with todays modern materials this isn't a cause for concern but I may be carefull with an older weapon.

As far as if your AR can shoot 5.56 safely; whats marked on the barrel? It will be stamped for what it's chambered for. ArmaLite makes both.....

17. Frankendude

Frankendude Member

Beltbuckle: Thanks for all the advice. It's appreciated!

18. lottalead

lottalead New Member

Recently purchased a Remington 700 tactical with 20"bull barrel. With factory loaded Black Hills Match 168gr BTHP am keeping groups 1.93" five shot average at two hundred yds. Weapon is topped with Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40. I think if my brother helps me work up high performance handloads before he deploys this winter and go varmint quality on my scope I think this rifle is capable of shooting better than my old eyes can keep up with.

19. chuckroast

chuckroast Member

I have a 700 BDL in 8mm Magnum that I am trying to sell. It is like brand new, with less than 100 rounds shot. Not a blemish. it is rated 100 out of 100. I also have the reloading dies for 8mm Mag that I will throw in. If you know the ballistics, then you know this is an amazing caliber. It has scope rings and recoil pad. email me if interested at chuck.raymer@gmail.com

20. Patrol

Patrol Well-Known Member

I have a Varmint model 700 with the heavy barrel and huge fiberglass stock mixed with Kevlar basically the 90's civilian version at the time of the 700 Police model. I put a Springfield Government model sniper scope on it and Harris bi-pod. It's all I would ever need for long range shots on mammals and such in the continent that I dwell upon. The weapon can hit a taped quarter on a target at 100 yards repeatedly and has light recoil for a .308 due to it's weight. The scope cost as much as the rifle if not more. For the money it will hang with any of those over 1k sniper rifles.