On in the chamber? 24/7

Discussion in 'Training' started by shootit69, Feb 17, 2007.

1. shootit69

shootit69 New Member

Hi

Im new to the forum and glad that I found it. I resently purchased a Taurus 24/7 pro .40 because of some of the feedback on this form, so thanks for that: however, I do have a real question. The 24/7 has no de-cocker, so how can yuo have one in the chamber without being in single action mode?

Thanks. Great site

2. mrpoman99

mrpoman99 Member

Well, I can tell you what not to do. Never put your thumb on the hammer then squeez the trigger to relieve the spring tension. This is the trick you see in the movies. Here's why...

When you squeez the trigger to relieve the hammer your are raising the firing pin block, clearing a path for the firing pin or striker. If you happen to slip or slam it forward to hard it may possibly fire. Well guess where you thumb is if it fires? Thats right, you will find your thumb laying on your forearm, blood everywhere.

3. mrpoman99

mrpoman99 Member

after doing some more research, the 24/7 uses a FPS firing pin striker. So the answer is no, you can't decock. I reccomend storing the weapon with the striker disengauged. I have an XD and what I do is clear the weapon, let the slide go forward and depress the trigger. Then insert your 15 round mag. Now your FPS spring tension has been relieved (longer life, less wear). If you go to use your weapon, just "rack" your slide and you will chamber a round and cock you FPS.

-Sean D.

Arms instructor

4. weekendfunandgun

weekendfunandgun Well-Known Member

I don't think you can revert back to DA on the 24/7. There is no exposed hammer on this weapon, nor is there a decocker.

5. steadyhand

steadyhand New Member

In a life and death situation, the outer extremeties of the body, such as your hands and fingers, may tremble and therefore not perform as quickly and efficiently. A person's dexterity would be off due to the extreem stress the person would be under. A person may not be able to "rack" the slide as quickly as they might need to, and therefore that split second the gun is needed, it is rendered useless. Personally I carry cocked and locked at all times. I sleep with another gun beside the bed, always in the same ready condition. I carry with the safety on, but sleep with the safety off. Personally I prefer the single action compared to the double action. The trigger pull on the single actions seems so much shorter than the double. I prefer the shortest travel for the trigger. I will not have my finger on the trigger until I am prepared to use it. When that time comes, I want a short crisp trigger and a round waiting. Never was much for the double action..too long of a trigger pull.

6. louismacote

louismacote Well-Known Member

The empty round technique comes from the famous Isrealli PSD teams. They do it for reasons of their own, and they don't do so on offensive operations. It is quite possible to learn the proper techniques for transition from static position, to chambering a round and point shooting at close range. HOWEVER, you must practice, and practice, and practice. Anyone who has ever been in a gunfight will tell you that dexterity goes out the window if you have to think about it.

In an emergency, we do not progress to the highest skill level trained, but degress to the highest skill level mastered. If you feel the desire to not carry a round in the chamber, do so always, and train to draw, chamber the round, and fire in one swift motion.

There are some obvious advantages to this mode of carry (living with young children who can climb on you unexpectedly/ or weapons retention). However, you must realize that chambering a round requires more time (especially one handed), and can put you at a disadvantage.

Here is a possible solution for you: I have to CCW handguns. One I carry with a round in the chamber (glock), the other I don't(1911). That way I know instinctively the condition of my weapon in an emergency, because I always train that way, and I never change it.

7. gunmonkey1

gunmonkey1 Well-Known Member

steadyhand you are 100% right in a combat situation you will lose all fine moter skills.i demonstrate this to my personnel by making them do 2 min of hard core pt and then have them come to the table to do a dryfire ... the catch is i have field stripped their weapon. with your heart beating hard and your hands shaking it is like trying to dial a phone with your knee.then i remind them that Charlie would be shooting back at them if they were in the shit.

that is why i like my sig sp 2022 no safety to f*** with just grab it and go to work

8. louismacote

louismacote Well-Known Member

I completely agree on the no safety rule for self defense handguns. That is a major plus with revolvers, and my only dislike for 1911. I don't like to have the possiblity of accidently activating a manual safety, or not being able to get it turned off for one of many reasons. That is why I love the glocks, xds, and revolvers. But in the end, it all boils down to tons of training with your weapon.