New To This

Discussion in 'Gun Chatter' started by ShadowNet, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ShadowNet

ShadowNet Well-Known Member

I'm 17 years old and I've never fired a real gun before.

I love my pellet guns, though. I have one pistol and one rifle.

I'm interested in getting a pistol and learning to shoot.

I have a shooting range near by, and I've checked it out.

Luckily, they will let me shoot if my father is there with me.

They offer training, too.

Now that I have a place I can go, I have another question.

Does anyone know the best gun to start off with?

I'm a decent shot with my pellet guns, so I'm hoping that I can pick up the aiming pretty fast. But I would like something that's pretty accurate and easy to shoot.

I'm also not loaded with cash. As much as I would like to get the best gun on the market, I can't. I don't have a job, and college is really packing on the homework, so I can't get one.

I do have some graduation money, though.

Luckily, my dad is interested in making this a hobby, too.

So he may chip in with the money we need to get a gun.

Since I can't buy it by myself anyway.

Any suggestions?

2. radio_relay

radio_relay Well-Known Member

There are classes given to the Boy Scouts locally here, in hand gun firearm safety, and familiarization. They use Airsoft pistols to go over proper handling, aiming, and trigger control. The Airsofts are weighted so that they have the same feel of a regular firearm, which also aids in simulating the real thing. Then, when they finally hit the range, the kids have firearm safety, and proper targeting and trigger control drilled into them.

At the range they use full size .22 pistols. This gets them used to firing live rounds without the recoil of larger caliber guns.

So, you might get an Airsoft pistol at Walmart. Helps with snapping in, and targeting without killing anybody. I have an Airsoft that I keep on the table next to my living room chair. I have a target set up across the room from my easy chair that I shoot at all the time. Helps me keep sharp. However, the wife and cats hate it :eek:)

Also, check around. There may training classes for young people given by local organizations that are firearm friendly.

3. agonist

agonist Well-Known Member

My suggestion for a first centerfire handgun would definetly be a revolver. Your mechanics may already be good from your pellet gun experience but the difference switching to cartridge handguns with recoil will be somewhat different. I just recently purchased a used Dan Wesson model 15 for $270. It's a .357 magnum revolver which gives you the option of shooting .38 special loads which will be much easier on you and your wallet. The barrels are interchangeable(mine came with 2.5 and 6 in. barrels) and can generally be found on ebay or other gun part outlets for $100 or less. You'll do better price wise if you can find one in a shop with a couple different barrels as I did. The factory grips tend to be a bit clunky which is why so many used ones come with aftermarket grips. They run about $20. I've even seen people reshape the factory wood grips.

The finish on the guns is very durable, the gun is very well made and has an excellent reputation for accuracy and with the longer barrels (10 and 12in.) is used by many silouette shooters in competition. If you could only have one gun to do everything there's really no other choice, I'll use the 6in. for range and pin shoots and the 2.5 for conceal carry. There are prettier guns out there but the quality is as good as anything and the versatility is unequaled.

4. jdeangelis99

jdeangelis99 Well-Known Member

as a handgun I would go like agonist said he is dead on.. A .357 that fires .38 also is great for newbies.. As a rifle goes I would mabey go for a .22cal that are a step up from a pellet gun but are alot of fun! They are very cheap and the cost for ammo is also cheap!! Good luck keep us posted

5. ShadowNet

Thanks a lot everyone.

I would really like a revolver. I've looked through a few on this site and I like the way a lot of them look.

Any specific revolver anyone would suggest?

6. exhaust

exhaust Well-Known Member

I love the S&W 686 .357, it's my first and only revolver but fun to shoot and absolutely accurate. I have the 6'' barrel.

7. agonist

Dan Wesson m15, Ruger GP100, or just about any S&W. All are reputable, well built and accurate. I like the Dan Wesson for versatility but in any model I would opt for adjustable sights since it seems you are more interested in range use.

8. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

i'd say Semi-Auto for a first Pistol simple fact is Revolvers don't have safety features like semi's most have a hammer block or a striker block, even so it's easier to injure yourself with a revolver then a semi. not to mention most of there sights SUCK, Granted i'll Give Ruger there due for the redhawk and blackhawk.

9. agonist

Actually most (almost all) newer revolvers made within the last ten years have a transfer bar firing mechanism so it's safe to carry on a loaded cylinder plus that's a non issue at the range.

I couldn't disagree more on the sights. The vast majority of semi-auto's sights are adjustable for windage only if at all. There is an advantage in a combat situation with the three dot system found on most autos, but an adjustable blade style sight for windage and elevation as found on many revolvers is far superior for target shooting. Even those semi-autos set up for target shooting use a similar style sight as is found on the Dan Wesson or Ruger Blackhawk/Redhawk.

10. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

transfer bar was what i was meaning Agonist i just couldn't remember the wording. Granted everyone has an opinion about first weapons....honestly if the person is an idiot they can holster the weapon and blow there ass off but i'd say it's easier done with a revolver and not all revolvers have a transfer bar as you said within the last 10 years was when they started putting them on, i ought to know a tad about it i had a redhawk that had one and a blackhawk that was a 3 screw not 5 screw the blackhawk didn't have one while it was fun to shoot it was dangerous as hell too. which is why i traded it for the weapon denoted in my id.

11. ShadowNet

I've been gone a while with all my college and all.

I apologize.

I just got a job. I'm actually a security

guard. So, I really think I need a gun

now. I have to wait until March so

I can carry it, but that isn't too far

away.

Any suggestions on what I could carry?

I still have little experience, but I've been

looking through quite a bit trying to find

info.

12. ShadowNet

hey shadow. you should check with your company and see if they have any requirements to meet for your weapon.

personally i would go with a glock or XD. but your company might require a manual saftey.

what are you guarding? and are you sure you can carry a weapon at 18?

13. ShadowNet

The company says unless the company I'm being "rented" to require a weapon, they don't care.

I'm guarding a warehouse. It has computers and everything in it.

And no, I just found out I can't. Which sucks because there was an attempted robbery on the warehouse across from me, and I'm all alone. = (

I can purchase one when I'm 18, which is why I

thought I could get a permit at that age.

I was also wondering about a 22. The ammo

and the guns are cheaper, correct? I figured that

may be better on my salary. Seven bucks an hour

isn't great. I figure I could learn a bit from a 22,

and I know how bigger guns feel. I loved firing

my grandfathers Steyr. But I wouldn't mind something

smaller. I figure I don't need something big.

14. agonist

Nothing beats a .22lr for value shooting. There are many options for handgun styles from target pistols to western and concealed carry mini revolvers and pistols. It's not a truly effective defense round but is often used in pocket pistols as a last resort emergency round. Also a good choice for someone with very little shooting experience because the lack of recoil will allow you to develop good grip and trigger skills without fighting the firearm. The vast majority of firearm owners' first experience is with the .22lr.

15. DOCB

DOCB Well-Known Member

actually shadow, no you cannot purchase one at 18. 21 is the legal age to purchase pistols.

.22's are good starter weapons.

if it was me i would get the XD or glock. i own several and they are great guns

16. sittingmoose10.31_51shaman

sittingmoose10.31_51shaman Well-Known Member

Lookin' ta start a little on the lite side......still , if you are a guard. Bad guys wanna hurt you if you get in the way. Try Rugers' SP 101 32 Mag 2.25"bbl . 'nuff ta get the job done.

17. ShadowNet

In Georgia the legal age is 18, actually. It's different here.

I can't carry until I'm 21, though.

Any specific 22lr?

18. radio_relay

radio_relay Well-Known Member

Shadow.... you might check the .22lr pistols reviewed here on Gun Directory.... Just go to the "Pistols" section, and click on .22lr... There are many fine firearms listed there. Complete with pictures, prices (MSRP), and specs... and many have reviews from people who actually own them.

19. ShadowNet

I really like the Walther P22.

I've heard they're pretty good, and aren't

as expensive as some of the other guns.

20. DOCB

DOCB Well-Known Member

no shadow, actualy it is 21. you can POSSESS a handgun at 18 but you cannot PURCHASE one until 21