NAA Mini Reviews

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by radio_relay, Sep 23, 2006.

1. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

Hey Army,

I couldn't agree with you more! I did the same thing and love it. I don't leave home without it!

2. Sunshyne099

Sunshyne099 Member

Nice going Army!! I knew you would grow to love this gun. Plus like i said the more you shoot it the better you will get. I will have to look into a set of grips for mine as well as the pocket holster. I believe Radio has talked about that before and said it was great. Glad your mini has worked out for you after all!!! Safe shootin'!

3. radio_relay

radio_relay Well-Known Member

That does sound like you've made some nice improvements, Army. Glad they're working out for you.

I originally bought mine with the folding grip, which is a great idea, but it fell apart after a couple range trips. So, I got a pair of laminated wood grips to replace the folding grip. With those new grips on the little revolver it fits in the watch pocket of my jeans, which I prefer to having a holster and gun in a big pocket.

It works great in my watch pocket. It carries and retrieves very easy from there. I'm thinking of getting a pair of oversize wood grips and a shoulder or neck holster, too. I think the bigger grips would help in holding the gun for more accurate shooting. However, I'm also thinking maybe when I get a magnum I will do that, and leave my .22lr as is.

It truly is the coolest gun I own.... maybe not the deadliest, but definately the coolest.

4. army44

army44 Member

I have been shooting Federal Eagle and CCI Blazer ammo in my mini. Both left a considerable amount of powder residue on my shooting hand. Today I switched to CCI Mini-Mags and after 50 rounds I had no residue on my hand. I think the Mini-Mags are also more accurate.

5. Sunshyne099

Sunshyne099 Member

Hey Army!

I always use the mini mags in mine too. Never have even tried anything else. They are the best. Now after about 5-6 times taking this baby to the range i have gotten pretty acurate with it now. I am feeling much more confident about being able to hit the broadside of the barn. :) My friends who have tried it also ALL love this gun!!

6. radio_relay

Seems like everything I fire with my mini leaves a lot of powder residue on my hands. After about 50 rounds my hands are pretty black. I still enjoy firing it. It's always in my watch pocket.... even at work.

I have a new job, and work evenings. I'm also living in a seedy neighborhood during the week now. So, I it's nice to know I've always got that little gun in my pocket, if I have a situation come up when I'm not able to get to one of my larger guns.

7. tigwelder56

I don't know how you can shoot 50 rounds at one sitting with this little jewel!! My hand gets worn out after half that number. But it is a great back up gun. More intimidation factor than quick death but it still could save your life!

8. army44

army44 Member

I put the replacement oversized rubber grips on my mini and I could now shoot 100 rounds at a time if I wanted to. They don't affect the concealability at all. I carry mine in my front pocket. I also use CCI Mini-Mags(LR) and Maxi-Mags(Magnum) and the powder on my hands has completely vanished.

9. radio_relay

I can't fire magnums in my .22lr mini. So, I might have put up with black hands. 50 rounds isn't all that much... :eek:)

I have fun shooting it.

10. tigwelder56

I have fun with it too. It's just a little small to do any serious shooting with it. My gunrange doesn't allow us to fire on targets any closer than 10 yards so this is really not designed for that. If I can't see my bullets at least hit paper I get tired fairly quickly when shooting air! I'd like the chance to shoot it at 10 feet, that would hold my interest!! Maybe even for 50 rounds, lol!!

11. army44

army44 Member

Radio. Try CCI Mini-Mags. They are a 22LR cartridge. Very clean and very accurate. I shoot nothing but the Mini-Mags in my 22LR and the Maxi-Mags in my Magnum. Like you I found the cheaper rounds left a lot of powder residue on the gun and my hand.

12. radio_relay

Thanks Army, for the tip. I'll get some of those.

I've been carrying my mini loaded with high velocity Stinger hollow points. Those are also pretty messy to fire, but I figure they'll do the most damage, if needed.

13. army44

army44 Member

Radio, My gunsmith told me to stay away from the Stingers. I was using them and getting a lot of powder residue. They are more expensive than the Mini-Mags but he feels the Mini-Mags are a much better option. I switched and the residue problem vanished.

Good luck.

14. Sunshyne099

Sunshyne099 Member

Hi guys! Army is right. You know I had a lot of problems with stingers especially in my Taurus 22. They would constantly jam up or not fire correctly. Since I switched to the minimags and maximags those problems are gone. They are a much more quality ammo. Radio I have seen them in a hollow point option too. I would feel much better with the mini mags in my gun than stingers, wondering if when I need them will they fire or not. Much much better ammo and cheaper too, how can you go wrong? :)

15. radio_relay

Thanks guys. I'll definitely check them out!

16. Ky-Glockman

Ky-Glockman Well-Known Member

I have shot this little beauty before, now I am on the market to buy a nice easily concealed and effective pocket gun. Is the .22 a big enough caliber to be a serious defense weapon? I realize anything is better then nothing, but which would you guys suggest this little .22 or a two shot .38 derringer. Thanks.

17. tigwelder56

I bought my NAA 22 Mini because of it's size. A two shot 38 SPC. derringer is a relatively big sub compact and heavy. This little 22 is a last ditch gun, a shoot and scoot. If you can get a head shot in, you'll drop them like a rock. But this isn't designed for a long drawn out gun fight! Big enough to hopefully buy you time to get the hell out of there! I love mine.

18. radio_relay

Who knows how effective it would be in real life situation. However, I like the feeling of having it in my watch pocket. It's totally concealed. The only way anyone will know I have it, is if I tell them, or go through a metal detector.

I would imagine it's best used when the bad guy doesn't think you have anything. Then use it quick and up close, and get your ass outta there, while the person is trying to figure out what happened.

If I had time to think, I'd try to hit the face. You'd have to be very close for that, and also take the bg by surprise. Kind of like pepper spray. Only with more of a kick.

Anything, except hitting directly in the face probably ain't gonna stop the bg, and will most likely just piss him off. So, be ready to run after you fired. I'd also unload the entire gun in the first volley. To increase the chances of actually hitting the target, and also to increase the damage done. Five .22lr rounds, probably would be just as uncomfortable as one of higher caliber.

I feel confident that it's a good defense weapon. Just have to use it smartly for it to be most effective. No shouting "drop you gun", any other such things. Just palm it until needed, then go for broke if you have no other choices but to use it to save yourself.

19. army44

army44 Member

Give me 5 shots with a 22 Magnium against 2 shots from a 38 spc derringer any day. The recoil from the 38 spc is probably going to make the first shot difficult and the second shot worthless. The first shot better be right on. The 22 is much easier to manage.

Like radio and tigwelder, I feel very comfortable with my Mini-Mag in my front pocket.

20. who_dat

who_dat Active Member

Right place, right time. A friend had one of these he inherited from his father, but didn't want. He was waiting for the next "buy back" program so he could get $50 for it. Usually when a deal like this comes up, I'll either have to think about it, ask the wife, or take time to research the thing to see if it's what I want. Then I go back to get it, and someone else took the deal away from me. Luckily, all that had already happened (not the wife part, I've learned it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission), so I said I'd give him $50 for it. He handed me the gun, and the pictures are posted above. I can't wait to try it and I'm glad so many of you like yours.

The "cool factor" definitely comes into play on this one.