lever action 22, which is better

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by dirtdobber, May 21, 2007.

1. dirtdobber

dirtdobber New Member

I am a farmer looking to purchase a 22 rifle for popping gophers (small prairie dogs). I want to purchase a lever action 22 and have narrowed my options down to three models. The Marlin 39A, Henry H001, and the Taurus model 62. I know the marlin stands way above the other two on all reviews but the price for that nice looking gun is more than I want to pay. I just need good accuracy and mechanics, not fancy stocks or scroll work, or nice woods, etc. Just something to plug away with that won't piss me off with errant patterns, or faulty craftsmanship. Can I get these two requirements from the Taurus or the Henry? Has anyone on here shot a Taurus or a Henry and have any experiences that will help me choose? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2. agonist

agonist Well-Known Member

The affordable Henry's have some plastic parts. The Taurus' I've seen and held seem to be well made but I haven't shot one. I've got a Marlin 39a carbine (20in. barrel) and I love it. It's a tack driver, very well made, parts are easy to come by if you ever need maintenance(which you probably won't). The micro-groove barrel will never wear out with the .22. My advice is to try to find a decent used one. They last forever if they're cared for. I've seen 80yr. old specimens that had been used for generations and reasonably cared for that were in great functioning shape. For real work go with the standard 24in. barrel.

If you simply can't find one in good shape for a decent price I think the Taurus is a more solid option. They're also available in stainless so mucking around would cause less of a rust issue.

3. DADDYMONSTER

DADDYMONSTER Well-Known Member

I gotta say that my choice would probably be the henry only cause i like the old nastalja look of them(western movie buff), Plus the fact that have really good reviews count too.

Heres a question does it have be lever action, cause there plenty of low cost semi-auto on the market that would suit your needs for very little money.

4. agonist

The lower priced Henry's are a toy compared to the Marlin 39a. The Taurus also comes in a pump action, a replica of the Winchester '62. As far as nostalgia goes, the Marlin 39a action is the longest running manufactured design of any gun in existence. Over 100 years. The Henry Goldenboy .22s are similar looking to the old Henry rifles but they cost every bit as much as the Marlin if not more and I'm doubtful that they are better. As a farmer Dirtbobber I assume you know the value of a good tool so I must stick with my suggestion of the Marlin.

5. DADDYMONSTER

DADDYMONSTER Well-Known Member

I agree just tryin to come up with options that arent going to break bank. And i do like the marlins better, just like spending tht kind of money.

6. agonist

I just figure a new Taurus will run $250 or more and the good Henry model is as much as a new 39a. A decent used 39a will outlast and out perform either of them. Can you tell I love mine?

7. dirtdobber

dirtdobber New Member

I have taken your advice into consideration and am holding out hoping to find a used marlin 39A. I do feel this gun is of superior quality (I too love my Marlin), but I don't NEED two. If I am not able to find a used one, I plan on purchasing the Taurus. I have spoken to a couple different gunsmiths and they all spoke highly of the Taurus model 62. Thank you for your input.

8. agonist

What Marlin do you have? I've got a 336, a 60 and the aforementioned 39.

9. epwrangler

epwrangler Well-Known Member

I know that this is about levers and I have ahenry I like very well but let me tell you about the little mossburg auto. This gun is cheap and very accurate. It really is a steal at the price I paid for it. I would not worry about it in the truck either since it is not a heavy investment.

10. agonist

Which model EP? A newer one or older? Didn't they usd to make one that was similarly built to the old U.S. .22 trainer bolt action?

11. flushingpheasant

flushingpheasant Member

I have shot a Marlin Golden 39M as my primary .22 for 35 years. I don't believe there is a better lever .22 in the world. Some things in life are so darn good there is just no way to improve them! Also recently acquired a Henry Golden Boy. I love the looks and the way the action feels, but haven't shot it enough to give an opinion of it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Henry for the $$$. There customer service is the best I've experienced.

12. epwrangler

Mine is a relative new one. I liked it so well I bought a second for my daughter to shoot. She is getting pretty good with it too. They have poly stocks and are very light. Great value for less than $100.00 each.

13. kyle44mag

kyle44mag Well-Known Member

dirtdobber- I come from a big family of firearm enthusists so I have fired quite a few 22's in my day, and it just so happens I have fired the three models you have mentioned plus the winchester 9422. I am suprised noone mentioned this rifle before. I have used it for years and it is nothing short of a joy to use. If you want solid mechanics and reliability you will be hard pressed to find a better 22.

14. agonist

Besides its good looks, the Winny's got nothing on the Marlin. The actions loosen up so they're fast but I find them to be a real clattertrap.

15. epwrangler

I enjoy shooting my Henry. It is very solid.

16. kyle44mag

kyle44mag Well-Known Member

I have cycled thousands of rounds though my 9422 and it works as well as the day I bought it. It is still my favorite 22

17. agonist

To each his own...But my own's better! LOL (just a little ribbin' there fellas)

ep, what Henry do you have, the standard or the Goldenboy?

I've heard the goldenboy version has some upgrades over the standard or has this changed?

18. epwrangler

Mine is the standard with the large ring lever. I could not see any real difference other than the brass on the GB

19. agonist

When they first came out there was some dust up over a few plastic parts in the standard but I thought I heard that they are all metal now.

20. epwrangler

I can't see any plastic on mine but used right plastic is fine if not traditional. I like it so well I plan to brand the stock with my brand as its proud owner.