Kel-Tec P-3AT Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by eddbrowne, Mar 27, 2006.

1. jobpatto

jobpatto Well-Known Member

I'm contemplating purchasing one of these for my wife if she doesn't want to go the revolver route. Is the slide easy enough to be operated by a 5'2" 120lb woman? I have owned the .25 & .32 Berettas that had the flip-up barrels because the tiny slides were so difficult to grip and operate in the conventional way. I was wondering if an 11oz .380 had that same difficult characteristic. Thanks.

2. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

Hi jobpatto! Welcome to the forum. I don't own this particular pistol so I would like all of you owners out there to give this guy some information regarding this pistol, please! I own the Beretta Jetfire and Bobcat in .25. I understand what you mean about them being a bitch to rack the slide by hand. That's one of the reasons I like the Beretta's tip up barrel. It eliminates having to rack the slide. Cock the hammer and go. Whenever I have mine in my pocket I always keep a round in the chamber, ALWAYS! They are designed with safety features that allow you to do so. You can also engage the thumb safety on them without having to cock the hammer. That provides an extra measure of safety when removing it from a pocket or from a purse. In the meantime, I hope that some of our fine members will get busy and drop you a line with the information you need! Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

Tig

3. Zilch57

Zilch57 Member

I posted a couple of comments in the past - the last one was worrying about the service from Kel Tec (Comments other people made).

Well I had to send my P3AT back for repairs on the trigger. My turn around time to my door was just under 5 weeks and heres what they did.

They replaced the entire trigger assembly, gave me a new slide assembly, and a new barrel. Now thats what I call service. I haven't test fired it yet but don't expect any problems since they fired it after repairs.

4. Zilch57

Zilch57 Member

Well I got to the range on Friday. I fired 50 rounds without a problem. Had about a 5 inch group at 25 ft. and for me thats good shooting, I consider myself just barely average with the P-3AT.

I feel much better now that I can carry every day. While my gun was in the shop I carried a 9mm compact which was to darn heavy, it was always pulling my pants way to low!!!!

5. ibdsam

ibdsam New Member

My wife bought me a Kel-Tec P-3at for christmas last year and its been with me everyday since. It disapears in my front pocket. I carry it everyday, everywhere and it's been 100% reliable for the 250ish rounds I've put through it.

6. Inthecrease

Inthecrease New Member

Folks,

I'm sorry, but after a year of grief from my Fed. agent friends about carrying and shooting the 3AT I'm dumping this thing. Misfires, stovepipes, failures to feed and eject; I cannot trust my life to this gun. We carry for protection, in the hopes we never have to use our weapon; but we have to have confidence that it will fire and often when required.

PS the ammo is Remington and Winchester.

7. Zilch57

Zilch57 Member

Sorry to hear about the problems your having with your P3. Did you ever consider a trip back home to Kel Tec. They have one of the best warranties going. I just got mine back because of a problem with light strikes and misfires. They completely replaced the top end including the slide and barrel. My P3 has had over 1K round s through it prior to my problem. Let me tell you that every gun has the potential for problems. I recently had to retire my Colt Mark IV series 80 Officers 45 because of a cracked frame. Can't buy parts for it and a used replacement cost over $600 to $800. Its a shame because I could drive tacks with that thing. Right now I have a Taurus millennium Pro 9 mm that is so tight I have to fight to get the slide off for cleaning. I've fired 5 to 6 hundred rounds and it's starting to loosen up. I could have sent it back for warranty work but I'm sure it will take care of itself with more use. I guess what I'm trying to say is let Kel Tec take care of it - they're good people.

8. judgeparker

judgeparker Well-Known Member

I just bought a Kel-Tec P3AT is it safe to keep one in the pipe and carry it in my pocket?

9. ctarborist

ctarborist Member

I just got one this week and went through 50 rounds without any problems. It's so small it does take getting used to it. Pretty decent groups and quite a punch in such a small gun. Very easy to carry.

It's certainly should be safe to carry with one in the chamber. The DA feels long and I expect no trouble.

10. diamondoug

diamondoug Member

I did a bunch of work on a P3AT and really enjoyed it. I occasionally had issues but, I felt that it was grip related. I often shoot a Baby Eagle .45 and go through magazines quite fast. When I use the same style of shooting with the Kel-Tec, it occasionally fails. Hate to admit it but, I believe it is called "limp wristing." The gun is difficult to keep a good grip for me when firing rapidly. I specifically found that it happened less with hollow point ammo. Grip extensions could probably help too. As for Kel-Tec customer service, I mailed my gun in one time and they repaired it for free. I am not even the original owner. I placed it in the little white box and sent it through the mail/UPS. Got it back about three weeks later. I look forward to purchasing another soon.

11. agonist

agonist Well-Known Member

judgeparker, to answer your question I wouldn't recommend carrying a DAO without a holster that covers the trigger. The Kel tec has a stiff trigger for safety reasons and they sell knife type clips for them but I would only carry loose in a pocket if I was just going out for a little walk or something. If I was going out in public I would choose a pocket holster or a small IWB.

12. judgeparker

Thanks agonist. I found instructions for a pocket holster on the KTOG website it looked like something that I would enjoy doing. I have a couple Taurus millenium Pro's in 9 mill and 40 S&W I felt safe with these fully loaded but I was not sure about my P3 since it does not have an external safety,(call me old fashioned). I polished the feed ramp before I took it out to the range and have not had an FTF yet . I really like these little P3s.

13. Pugdog

Pugdog Member

I don't own a Kel-tec 380 but have three friends that do or did. Two of the three were sent back to the manufacturer in Rockledge, FL. with feeding problems. They have a policy that if you bring it in they will repair it while you wait. This policy doesn't say much for out of the box quality. If a gun does not shoot on it's first outing with me I will never have any confidence that it will work. I carry a Colt Mustang Plus II and feel confident in its ability to shoot when called upon. Be aware these Colt guns are no longer produced and are expensive even used.

14. Zilch57

Zilch57 Member

I have a niece that was given a Taurus 357 revolver in SS for Christmas - would you believe you could only put 2 rounds in the cylinder, the rest of holes were not reamed out fully. I guess no one should buy a Taurus revolver because of the first outing it was useless and would only fire 2 rounds.

I have a Taurus Millennium Pro 9 mm in stainless and it fired the first time and probably over 500 rounds through it. I don't care what kind of weapon you buy they are mechanical and prone to failure.

As a 20 yr USAF jet engine mechanic I've seen a half million dollar engine fail the first time the start switch was turned on. It's mechanical !!!! By the way I carry a Kel Tec 380 and a P-11 depending on how I dress. I also fire a few rounds through both of them usually once a week (retired) to keep my skills sharp.

15. judgeparker

Before I purchased my P-3AT's (one for me and one for my wife). I went to the Kel-Tec owner group web site where they had instructions for what they call a Fluff n Buff. I did this to both pistols before I fired the first round. After many rounds through them they have never failed to fire anything I have fed them. Our P-3ATs Are as dependable as my old Dan Wesson 357.

16. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

LMAO!! Zilch57, your story has really got me stumped! I have to wonder why, when you're fully aware there is a critical problem in the function of your firearm, you don't cease to use it and send it immediately back to the manufacturer? Every Taurus pistol carries a warranty for the life of the gun, even the successive owners. They are warrantied for life of the gun. Their warranty service isn't the fastest on the planet but they do get the job done!! As a 20 year jet mechanic you should know the importance of a failure this serious! You should've also known that it's not the fault of Taurus, it's the fault of one individual pistol and the quality control attention of one moron.

Besides that, this is the Kel-Tec P-3AT thread, not the Taurus. Please keep the posts on topic, thank you!

17. scottjajr

scottjajr New Member

I'm wondering how easy the slide is on a kel tec im considering one for my wife in the .380 i have a glock 27 and a hi point 9mm buy she cant work the slide on either one

18. judgeparker

Scottjajr

I bought one for my wife and she can rack the slide but it is difficult for her. She really does not like the recoil because of its very light weight and small size. After I told her she only needed to shoot it enough to get proficient with it then she would not have to shoot it all that much she decided to keep it for her CCW after she gets her permit. the Kel-Tec P3AT slide is not any harder for her than her Taurus PT111 9 mill or my Hi Point 9 mill.