Kel-Tec P-3AT Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by eddbrowne, Mar 27, 2006.

1. harleyranger

harleyranger Active Member

This is the first keltec product i have ownedand after reading all the negative i was a bit worried ,, any way here we go ,, I found the p-3at in a pawn shopafter haggling with them for a few min i purchased the lil pistol for 135.00 ,, not really knowing any thing about keltec at the time i took it home got online and researched it turned out it is a 2nd generation 380 after reading keltecs online manual i took it apart to clean it as any one should buying a preowned weapon,, the gun was filthyso i put it on my sonic cleaner filled with a gun safe cleaning solvent (ok for polimer frames ) and let her do its thing after a 45min dip in the cleaner i took it out swabbed the barrel reoiled the frame and slides all the moving goodies and reasembled my 380 what a differance looked just like new i loaded it wioth some factory ball rounds that i bought because they were brass and reloadable , took it out to an area i routienly test fire guns , i squezzed the trigger not really knowing what to expect . now i own 3 other 380s a llama .. colt clone ,, a bersa 380 that i got for my daughter ,, and a makarov,, ,, in comparrison to the other 3 i own i would rate it number 2 ,, in this order #1 the makarov #2 keltec #3 bersa#4 llama ,, lets face it guys the mak has its roots deep its a walther design mines a russian with the adjustable sights,, it cycles anythingis very comfortable and accurate,

so far the keltec has cycled every thing i put through it but its all been factory stuff ,, we'll see how it handles my reloads i was amazed at the handling and managable recoil it displayed ,, really fun to shoot ,, the bersa it a finely made pistol it cycl;es every thing is pretty accurate reliabe ,, but no matter what we have shot through it it has a tendancy to have a bite to it no matter howyou hold it .. and the llama

its baicially a scal;ed down 1911 or mustang copy it likes ball rounds ,, and ball rounds only it shoots good is accurate but with out any serious work to it ( throating it and ramping) it is limited on its choice of ammo, ,, the keltec i think is perfectly suited for it's intended purpose of a lightweight concelled carry pistol .. i normally carry either a 40 made by firestar . or a very worked up match grade 1911 for my primary protection ,, i love to load my own and have found that the hornandy frangable bullets to be my favorite paired with titegroup powder... i havn't worked up a 380 load yet but its coming

2. bootleg

bootleg New Member

I have the kel-tec 380 and have put around 300 rounds of remmington 95grain ammo through it. It consistently FTF. Usually about the 3-4 bullet in the clip. This is very discouraging since I use it as a CTC weapon. I set it back to Kel-Tec 3 weeks ago and still haven't gotten it back. They said 1-2 more weeks. Has anyone else encountered thses problems / issues. I love the gun for the size and concealability but if I have to call A time out after 3 shots who needs that?? Any insight would be much appreciated. Hopefully they can fix the problem !!

3. kc516

kc516 New Member

Bought my P3at last week. It's Navy blue with hard chrome, beautiful weapon. Took it to the range today, put 50 rounds of Winchester WinClean,and 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot, and it performed flawlessly. I did a minor fluff & buff, and oiled it up, and went to town. The pistol was hot, but I kept shooting. Perfect ccw weapon, I'm very pleased!!

4. Zilch57

Zilch57 Member

Fired between 4 to 5 hundred rounds using 2 mag's and never had a problem. I did do a fluff and buff before I went to the range. It's not fun to fire, but it's designed to be a concealed weapon and not target practice. I would like to carry my Mark IV 45 Colt but it's just to big and heavy. This is really easy to carry and I often forget I have it in my pocket. My Mark IV gives me a 4" group @ 25 to 30 ft but I'm lucky to get a 6 to 8 inch group at the same distance. Still feel it's a fine weapon for what it's designed for.

5. bootleg

bootleg New Member

Kel-Tec has horrible service. My 380 has been there for almost 2 months. When I inquired how much longer I was told " we'll get to it when we get to it" The man was rude and said he has no control over the situation. This gun, company, and service SUCKS!!!! If it does ever come back I'm getting rid of it ASAP!!!

6. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

I feel for you Bootleg! I received the same ugly, long term loss of my Taurus revolver earlier this year. It's good to know that Kel-Tec provides horrible customer service to their customers. Trust me that Taurus is just as bad. Customer treatment carries huge importance as far as I'm concerned. If the company refuses to take care of me, why should I trust their firearm to? Neither will get my business in the future!

7. tinitogemmy

tinitogemmy New Member

This gun is the worst gun I ever had, It jams at least one time per every six shoots, and to unjam it its a real pain the a....I have tried different ammo, lub it, other magz and nothing, I bought it for my wife as personal defence and let me tell you, she will be safer with out it. $300 dollars trown in the garbage.

8. tigwelder56

Clean it up and put it back in the manufacturers box. Then take it back to the shop you bought it at and trade it in for a Seecamp 32 or a small Glock. If it's for your wife, depending on her experience with firearms, you should seriously consider a 38 Special +P revolver. There are several nice ones available.

9. Ky-Glockman

Ky-Glockman Well-Known Member

Just got the p-3at for Christmas. Not been able to fire it yet to give a review. Anyone have any advice or any insight on how reliable this little weapon is?

10. tigwelder56

KY,

If you've read the comments and reviews on this you'll see that it has some real consistent feeding problems. I've heard that their customer service is among the worst there is, very rude and slow service. I hate to pass on bad news, especially about a Christmas gift! I'd say that they must make a good one occasionally and if you get one that works properly, hang on to it. But should you have problems right away, I'd clean it up and take it back to the shop it came from. Trade it in for something else while it's still under warranty.

11. Zilch57

Zilch57 Member

I read reviews about the horrible service from Kel Tec. I thought a lot of it was "sour grapes". After sending 2 emails asking for prices of parts for my PT4AT with no response, I assume that everything I read was true. I can't complain about my pistol, over a 1000 rounds through it with no problems. The parts were what I considered spares. I was looking at getting a P11 9mm but there is no way that I would do it now.

Think it's time to look at another gun manufacturer. I'm really disappointed !!!!!!!!!!! The Taurus PT111, XD subcompact 9mm, and Bursa 9mm are looking pretty good.

12. Idahoser

Idahoser Member

Well, since all the good stuff seems to have been pushed down, I guess I ought to mention that there are a lot of people who have been very happy with the P3AT and with Kel-Tec customer service. Just seemed like a little piling on was happening here, and it's not necessarily deserved. Of course my nor my wife's First Generation P3AT has had any need to go back to the factory, but I dealt with them on a P40 a while back. A discontinued gun, they worked with me anyway. Before you believe the recent bad press too much, take a look at that overall rating over there.

The P3AT is what you carry when you can't carry a gun. No other package comes close to the power, compact size, and light weight. Also some of the recommendations I see here have even worse reputations, I might add.

It's not for everyone. If you lost money you were trying to. You can't get a new one, they can't keep them on the shelves.

You need to research this gun, it's not a Colt. It takes some familiarity and practice, it's an "extreme" performance tool. It's maybe going to benefit from some mild fine tuning ("fluff & buff"). These are not rocket science and may not even be needed. Don't let a few folks that refused to do the research scare you from trying it.

13. tigwelder56

Hi Zilch, whatever you do, if you're using customer service as a measure of the gun, which you should, IMO, then stay well away from the Taurus. They're the epitome of bad service. As Bill stated there were a lot of negative remarks regarding this but that is what the "Overall Rating" system is there for. Don't accept one person's overall impression of the group to make your decision. Again, that's the purpose of reviews and ratings. Right, Bill? The XD and the Bersa are two fine weapons, you'd be happy with both.

14. pirouge

pirouge Member

just a note on the new Ruger .380 LPC, it's not a copy of the P-3AT, it's a copy of Mr. John Browning's design, just like the Kel-Tec, Bersa, and many, many others, you can only do so much about the cosmetic's. Kel-Tec's are fine guns, but their not alone in that regard, true there are some junk guns out there, but Bersa's, Kel-tec's, Rugers, Glocks, Sig's , S&W's, Colts, and Beretta's are not amoung them, even Hi-Points are decent firearms, so lets stop the crying about "copy's" blame it on John Browning and his wisdom for creating the design in the first place. I appreciate all reliable firearms, regardless of price. "only accurate guns are interesting" , Townsen Whelen

15. Ky-Glockman

Ky-Glockman Well-Known Member

Been able to shoot this gun a few times now without a single malfunction. I believe this gun is a great purchase for its intended purpose in both accuracy and reliability. I would definately recomend this for a pocket gun.

16. tigwelder56

Unisaw, keep in mind that this isn't a target pistol. It's basically a back up gun, perhaps a primary weapon for those that choose to carry it that way. But it is definitely a self defense pistol and the average range for a confrontation is less than 15 feet. If you can consistently shoot that pistol at 25 foot targets and obtain results of 1 to 2 inches low, I wouldn't do much complaining! The sights on this pistol are far from target style. Be pleased that you're getting the good accuracy that you seem to be getting.

17. ejusino2004

ejusino2004 New Member

I purchased this gun as a possible concealable weapon. Took it to the range regularly. I have had nothing but jams and stove piping of rounds. I took it to the gunsmith to smooth it out, but I still have stove piping. Now I having trouble getting a magazine in the gun. Worst gun I ever had. TGwelder 56, Igot the gun back from the gunsmith, he correct the magazine problem and the stove piping issue. So far no problem with the keltec.

18. tigwelder56

EJ, how many magazines have you tried in the pistol? Is there a chance that there has been some damage done to the feed lips of the mag. you're having trouble with? Have you tried different ammunition? If you're having these problems with hollowpoints, what are your results with ball ammo? I have a AMT 380 and I can't shoot hollowpoints through it, jams everytime. When I use ball ammo it functions perfectly. The manual even says to not use hollowpoints. I'd watch your grip on the pistol, these little guys are hard to hold solidly for some folks, switch your ammo to ball and check those feed lips for expansion. If they have been deformed, they might be catching on things inside the grip as you try to insert it. Just food for thought! Good luck!!

PS: One more thing you should check is the recoil/guide rod spring. I would switch it out to see if the problem lies within that. A weak spring might be the problem.

19. somookc

somookc New Member

Very pleased with my Kel-Tec P3AT. Shot 400 rounds without a hiccup so far. Added the CTC Laser Grip.