Kel-Tec P-3AT Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by eddbrowne, Mar 27, 2006.

1. tazz500

tazz500 Active Member

I felt compelled to respond to the negative feedback this gun is getting. I will fully admit that Kel-tec has quality control issues, and that "some" of their guns are defective, but anyone reading this forum should know that I have pushed over 1500 rounds of reloads, factory ammo, and just about every imaginable type of bullet down the barrel of the exact same gun, and nothing has broken, nothing has failed and I trust mine as much as any other automatic in my collection. The Boise Idaho police department even subjected this gun to the rigorous testing standards and then approved it for duty use as a backup weapon. Guns are mechanical, some fail, and some don't. If you got a bad one, it is somewhat unfair to tell all perpective buyers that "all" of that model are failures. Instead tell them that yours failed, and you did not like the design. Most people that dislike this gun tend to not like it because it is hard to handle, hard on your hand, and somewhat cheap looking. But the bottom line is, I would like to see anyone put a 5 shot revolver in their front jeans pocket and carry it around all day, without having someone wonder why they had a revolver in their pocket? Trust me I have several awesome .38's that are to the best of my belief the ideal self defense weapons. They never fail, they don't jam, and if they don't fire, you just pull the trigger again. I usually carry one on a belt holster because of the certain reliablity of such a gun, but with that said, you still cannot beat the ability of the Kel-tec to fit into a pocket and go with you when wearing a tank top and pair of shorts. Trust me when I say that I have one, and at least a dozen of my friends carry the same gun, we all shoot IDPA and are avid gun fans, if this gun did not fill a niche, and do what it needed to, we would not own or carry them. Just something for perpective buyers to think about, buy two guns, one larger one for carry whenever possible, and buy the P3AT for those times when appropriate carry just is not possible. Remember the golden rule, a gun in your pocket is much more useful than one sitting at home because it was to big to take along.

2. sawman

sawman Member

tazz I agree..I have same gun,,,,never had a problem, and I \carry it 24/7 AND NO PROBLEMS

SAWMAN

3. k9sarge

k9sarge Active Member

Hey it's your bacon trust what ya will. I have been a cop for more than 23 years and have been in 3 shootings. I have never had to use my back-up weapon, but if I ever do, I need something I can trust and this gun ain't it...

Just passing along my experience as a cop and firearms instructor..

Stay safe..

4. tazz500

tazz500 Active Member

To be honest K9sarge, if I was active duty, and it wouldnt be questioned so much if I was made, I would probably just carry one of my larger guns in a nice leather belt holster all the time. Unfortunatly, even in states as gun friendly as Idaho, if someone sees a handgun on your belt while out shopping, they often call the police, and then you have to deal with being dragged out of the establishment, questioned, while a half dozen officers examine not only your ccw permit, but pretty much look over your history since birth. I really wish that it was more accepted for average citizens to carry handguns in high quality holsters, safely attached to your belt, especially as there is nothing safer than a good double action, hammer down carry, but there are always those that simply freak out when they see a gun. I was just hoping that those who really need to have a highly concealed weapon for reasons of privacy don't give up alltogether and go without, rather than look at a little plastic gun as an alternative. In regards to your 23 years on the force, thanks for watching over our backs, it is much appreciated.

5. god.loves.ugly

god.loves.ugly New Member

again I have had this for a few months. and shot well over 500 rounds through it with out a problem what so ever... I have a 1000$ springfield that has jammed more than this, luckily I don't carry the springfield, I carry this or my kahr cw40 which have both been great guns.

6. k9sarge

k9sarge Active Member

I'm with ya Tazz, and thanks much appreciated. I picked up a Walther/S&W PPK/S that I am real happy with. Having the trigger smoothed out right now and some other minor burrs filed down. It is a nice little piece that easy to conceal. I was really impressed with the accuracy. Maybe you might want to give one a try.

And thanks for your service to our country. I am former AF and my oldest son leaves in June for the Army, Ft. Benning and OCS after basic..

7. tazz500

tazz500 Active Member

Idahoser, I know from some testing that the P3AT will bring down just about anyone who is not loaded on some serious levels of meth or crank, eventually. We did tests using a variety of props, most of which were dressed in average summer clothing, and at no point in time did the Corbon +p loads or several other non +p loads fail to penetrate to a an acceptable level. The only question is, as someone who has seen the effects of bullets on real people, is the question of how fast it will stop the aggression factor. Most off duty police the country round either carry the .38 +P loads or something in the .40 or .45 auto. All good balances of power, stopping ability, and controlable rapid fire. The P3AT while an awesome gun, fills a different market gap. Those of us who choose to carry for defensive purposes, are concerned with safety all the time, not just when we can wear a flannel or vest to cover a larger frame gun. I take my P3AT everywhere, all the time, and sometimes it is my only gun. Even so, knowing what I do, I prefer it as a backup to something a bit more potent, and would quite honestly retreat from danger if that was my only weapon. I view this as the gun that can be drawn from a pocket, when the attacker is right on top of you, and emptied without ever aiming. It does indeed fill a niche, and it does it better than any other. Even so, I would feel totally confident walking towards the aggressor with any of my .45 auto's, where with the P3AT I would be wondering how many shots it will take before they stop walking towards me. Just the limitations of the .380 cartride in a short barreled gun, rather than a dis on the gun itself. I like this gun, because we all know that there are many places that discourage carry, legal or not. This gun allows those of us who see how ineffective this is, to make the choice for ourselves. Not that I am suggesting breaking any laws, and never drink and carry, it is just a bad idea under any circumstance. But we all know there are many places which are not always safe, and almost always encourages everyone but the attacker to leave their guns home, stupid rules, and small guns, that conceal easily, mean safe people. Granted you may be fined or fired for taking a gun to the wrong place, then under the unlikely circumstance you needed it, you would hopefully be alive and looking for a new job, or perhaps paying a misdemeanor fine. Botton line, this is a highly concealable, moderatly reliable, purpose driven gun. Use it for what it was made for, carry it in a good holster which covers the end of the barrel and the trigger gaurd, and as Idahoser mentioned, do the fluff and buff mentioned on the KTOG. ORG site to increase reliablity of feeding and cycling. I just returned from the range after a good cleaning and repolish and put over 200 rounds downrange without a single misfeed. Some of these do work, and work well, just make sure you have a good one before you need it!

Again, any gun is only as useful and safe as the person behind it. Practice, carry safe and smart, and keep voting for the right candidates.

8. USNCHIEF

USNCHIEF New Member

I thought that this site was for reviewing specific guns. Seems like it has become to a chat site. You guys can to to KTOG.ORG compare your pistols etc.....

9. rlevine

rlevine Member

too bad you can't post pictures on this site. I have an awsome picture of what happened to my little gun after just 50 rounds of 88 gr. winchesters passed through it. The plastic frame holding the retaining bolt just blew outward. I've never seen such a failure in a gun. I was lucky it didn't blow up in my hand. I use motorcycle riding gloves at the range to shoot this little gun. The cushioned palms soften the recoil that is generated (in the absence of any mass to speak of). This is just an idea for any of you that need to test fire those new mouse guns. I'm waiting for my Rohrbaugh 9mm and will post a review on thiat site.

10. k9sarge

k9sarge Active Member

RL, when I talked to the folks at Keltec about the issues I was having the sense I got was that they had been getting alot of guns sent back to them. I am thinking the little gun just isn't robust enough for the .380. Would be interested to hear if the .32 version is having the same type issues..

11. -Rob-

-Rob- New Member

Great gun, haven't had any problems in over 300rounds so far. I did do the fluff and buff before firing a single shot so perhaps that's why.

The recoil isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be, try one out and see for yourself. The +1 extension makes the recoil even less of an issue.

I don't think there's any other gun out there that has what this gun does. Small package, decent caliber, very light, and inexpensive too! It's not perfect, not sure any gun is, so I'll give it a 4.

12. rlevine

rlevine Member

I think I'll give the little toy one more chance (P3AT). Once I get it back (or my new gun whichever they send me). I'll take it out to the range and put her through the paces. If she performs well then she will earn a place on the instep of my left ankle. If not, she goes in the box and on sale at the next gun show.

By the way, I think I know what P3 AT stands for now...Peashooter...version #3 Astonishing Toy.

13. family4firearms

family4firearms New Member

I bought this gun not knowing much about it, what I would like to know is there anyway to make the grips more comfortable, they hurt my hand while I shot,they are rough.

14. sawman

sawman Member

I just got back from range again with this gun....it has shot just like it is suppose to, i can't compalin with it

15. rlevine

rlevine Member

I've never owned a piece of junk as horrible as this weapon. I would never trust my life to it. The company should be ashamed of itself. I wasted $300.

16. teufdog79

teufdog79 Member

Based on the fact that I have not had and FTF after 200+ rounds, and ease of concealment, I rated this a good (4). When I carry, I use a Desantis pocket holster with 7 rounds (6+1) of Speer Gold Dot 90gr bullets. With this pocket Holster, This Kel-Tec is very comfortable to carry and conceal. I do live in SouthWest FL, where shorts and t-shirts is the clothing of choice. When sooting my other weapons at the range, I take along my P-3AT and alternatelly shoot between my other weapons and this pistol. As described earlier, this pistol is small and the barrel is not so thick, so I let the weapn cool after 14 rounds. You see, this is NOT a range gun, but a defensive weapon; I treat it as such. This weapon does not cause me any discomfort, but then again, I am not putting 100 rounds through at one time. If in a defensive situation, I would hope that one magazine will be enough to get me out of the situation. If at my castle, my doctrine is to break out my arsenal and defend at all cost.

17. bcaff05

bcaff05 New Member

I have had no problems with my p3at, however, while a friend was firing I noticed he had 2 ftf. After suggesting he hold the gun tighter and control the recoil he had no problems. This gun is like holding a firecracker in your hand with the combination of .380 auto and the lightweight of the pistol. I would definitely not consider this fun to shoot. However, it is a pistol I can always carry, regardless of attire. It shoots reliably, has enough rounds to get me out of a bad situation and is small, light, and easy to conceal and, packs a decent punch with the .380ACP round. Overall, an acceptable carry gun (I prefer a larger, more powerful auto), and a perfect backup gun.

18. Juna

Juna New Member

I have a 2nd Generation P3AT, and I have had zero failures of any kind with it. I did NOT do a "fluff & buff" either. I simply bought it, cleaned & lightly oiled it, and took it to the range. I clean it after every use, and that's all I do.

This gun was designed to be a deep cover concealed carry gun, and it serves it's function well. It is reasonably accurate at combat distances, and it fires a sufficiently potent caliber for most self-defense scenarios.

The recoil of this gun is greatly over-rated, in my opinion. I find it to be no more than expected for a 9 oz plastic mouse gun, and it did not hurt my wrist.

The biggest disadvantage of this gun, IMO, is the trigger pull--it is very long and fairly hard. While this does act as the gun's primary safety mechanism for carrying, it makes you keep wondering when it will fire as you slowly squeeze the trigger the first few times--especially if you fire it next to a SA pistol of any kind.

The capacity is pretty good for it's size, and this gun is so easily concealable that you will literally forget you have it on within minutes. You do not need to change what you wear simply to conceal this pistol. It will fit in your jeans pockets without a problem.

As others have said, this gun is not particularly fun to shoot b/c of the long trigger pull, but it is reasonably accurate and serves its purpose as a last ditch carry or back-up pistol that cannot be surpassed in terms of size/power ratio. It is not intended as a range gun, and it has no real sights to speak of. It's basically a point-and-shoot gun for within 7 yards (i.e. at self-defense distances).

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase in that no gun is better for concealment in terms of size/power ratio and relative cost. A range gun it is not, but it is not intended as such.

19. partsproduction

partsproduction New Member

Less than 100 rounds through mine, today after 3 mags the hammer wouldn't fall with full trigger deflection! And this WAS my primary carry gun, don't trust it.