Glock 19 Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by eteasley, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Patrol

Patrol Well-Known Member

I don't even like Glocks anymore like I did when they first came out because I own both a Springfield XD and a Smith M&P but I have to say this model Glock is one of the best shooting models that they make and I have owned several models. This 9mm is an awesome gem and this particular model gun was made for this specific caliber. Two things Glock got right. The G19 and the G20.

2. davester

davester Member

BKBurns, In bear country, the Glock 10mm might be a good choice... 10mm is one of the most powerful rounds available. In fact, I think that unless you want to go for a .50 caliber, there aren't really any popular cartridges that are more powerful in a semi-auto. Of course there are many revolver rounds, notably the .44 magnum and others. I'm no expert in hunting bears or any game, but from what I've heard a 10mm is no slouch. The glock offering would, I think, be the lightest available gun in such a caliber.

As for a light-weight AR-15, there are several options. The carbon-15 is a ridiculously light gun, I've seen them used at gun shows before. You might also check out the Kel-tec Su 16C or CA. Nutnfancy on Youtube has a series of reviews on them.

3. davester

davester Member

*ahem* in regards to the 10mm of course I meant it was one of the most powerful HANDGUN rounds lol.

4. BKBurns

BKBurns New Member

I appreciate the help dave. Bear hunting is no joke. I was sitting in a blind. Almost alseep from sitting so long. I happen to look up and two cubs walk out of the tree line. Not even 3 seconds after they entered the clearing I was in...here comes momma bear. Two things crossed my mind "Wow, she is beautiful and I hope she doesn't smell me" turns out she did...came closer with her head up sniffing the wind. My heart was beating a million miles an hour...she gets about 50 yards away and stops...I put my gun up...waiting for her to turn...then she charges...I have a winchester 1300 pump shotgun I shot it 3 times...loaded another shell and it jamed...not good. I had an old 20 gauge pump lever action and thank god for it...because she was at the blind by this point. Droped her from a head wound. So yeah Bear hunting isn't a joke.

Like I said though I appreciate the input.

5. Mrjump23

Mrjump23 New Member

Lookin to trade p2000...mus b equal value worth glock an assories

6. APCMatt

APCMatt Active Member

Love my G19!!!!! Wheres the best place for night sights as mine didnt come with?? THanks!!!

7. APCMatt

APCMatt Active Member

On a more informative note: I carry this pistol every day and it holds 15+1. fantastic firepower for such a light package. Affordable and Excellent. The only problem i had with mine was with complete junk ammo, where it failed to feed and eject. I oiled it up hoping it was just dry but to no avail. Then i was worried it was seriously malfunctioning so i tested some of my CorBon JHP self defense ammo through it before i left the range and like clockwork, she spit 10 rapid fire without a second thought. Love this little gun. 100%%% 10mm is a great bear gun, agreed. My buddy got one for hiking/camping, etc. It packs a bit more of a whallop especially if youre use to the little 9mm like me, so practice with it if you plan on carrying it in Bear Country ha.

8. Bigyella68

Bigyella68 Member

I have had my G19 for more than a year and have put at least 1000 rounds through it. No FTE, FTF, jams or hiccups at all. The 9mm has ample stopping power as proven by the 82% rating on one shot stops. Felt recoil is negligible (even more so since I mostly fire .40) but, Glocks stand head and shoulders above most weapons I have fired. I say this simply because every time I take aim and fire (it does) and keeps tight groups also. An awesome platform that is concealable, reliable and packs good punch for your dollar.

9. girphoto

girphoto Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Well, I just traded one of my Sig 239's in for a Glock 19 Gen4.

I have a smaller hand and the new Gen4 fits almost perfectly without any of the additional back-starps.

The reason for trading is that the trigger guard on my Sig239 was not sitting right with my high grip (I am mostly 1 1911 shooter and the SIG239 jut had to go).

Range time with the G19G4 at the range yesterday proved to be interesting.

First I used White Box Winchester 124 gr +P 9mm (NATO) ammo. Went through 150 rd's not one failure (NO FTF, FTE,STOVE-PIPE,ETC). Right out of the box, I used some of WIlson Oil on the rails and front of the barrel.

I than added a Pearce Grip Extension +2 to one of the new mag's, loaded it up with 17 rd's and it also fired perfectly.

We are now at 167 rd's so I tried some of my carry ammo Winchester 9mm +P PDX1124 gr. JHP and it also went through nice and clean with NO PROBLEMS (I stress this because I have tread on other boards that shooters have been having problems with the Gen 4 guns).

I will be back at the range today and plan to put at least another 150 rd's through the G19G4.

Report to follow.

10. yodacat

yodacat Member

Picked up a gen3 19 2 months ago and I'm very happy with it so far. I may like it better than the g22 I carry for work. I have tried/used several different compact/subcompact 9mm pistols over the years for off duty ccw and liked many but never loved one enough to keep as a regular carry piece. I still have my cougar 8000 but have sold or traded the rest. This is an excellent weapon and easier to carry than the cougar. If I don't find anything negative with it in the next several months I may stop the search for something else....or not.

11. girphoto

Second and third days at the range were very educational. On the second day I put an additional 130 rd's of 124 gr +P down range. I had no problems with the gun or the three mag's that came with it. Where I did have a problem was with the underside of the trigger guard on the left side. I found that the little bump towards the rear of the guard was cutting into my finger (I like a high grip). I quick search of the Internet proved that a little time and snadpaper or Dremil tool would do the job.

Day three, back at the range with the Dremil and a box of 115 gr. And we were off to making a custom trigger guard. I removed a little at a time and tested with 5 rd each time. The guard is now ok, but I found that the G19G4 did not like the 115 gr. I will continue next week with 124 gr until I have at least 600 rd. Through the gun.

I already have a 3.5 trigger spring and will have a complete trigger job done by a friend of mine who is a certified Glock Armor. I am also looking into a set of Dawson Sights..

After all of the Work is completed, I will post photos.

Since I carry 24/7 and usually a 1911 , having the extra rounds in one place is a nice added addition. This gun is quickly moving into the number 1 carry slot in my rotation.

More to follow

12. girphoto

To vodacat

I just ordered some range mag's from CDNN sports Inc.

I think their site is www.targetsportsinc.com

They have new G19 15 rd mag's for $5.99/each and 33rd new for $9.95/each.

If they work out they will be good for range work.

Hope this helps

Happy holidays

13. edteach2u

edteach2u Member

I bought this gun several years ago. Accuracy is ok not great but good. Reliability is good, grips not the best. Like holding s 2x4. The looks are good. I just purchased a S&W Sigma and the feel is great in the hand compared to the Glock. Trigger is stiff compared to the Glock but for what it is intended for its fine. If you love the Glock name and want to have a gun people ooo and uaaaa over get the Glock. If you are on a limited budget or need a gun to throw in the glove box or tool box then get the smith. Its reliable, accurate and for what I paid for my 19 I could have had two smiths. I have both guns and like them both, but the smith with a great price point at 250 for SS three mags new, I keep around me more than the safe queen Glock.

PS. Just got a glock factory 33rd mag from Cdnn for 34 plus a ki 15rd mag for 5.99 and free shooting glasses and ear plugs and 5.99 shipping. Great buy on these. I don't see them banning mags but I figured that I should grab just in case.

14. BradLe

BradLe Member

I've had my 3rd Gen G19 for about 2 months now. I give it a 4 and 3/4th bullet rating. The only issue I have is with the magazine release. I have to adjust my grip in order to apply enough pressure which, I've heard is a common problem with the Gen 3 Glocks. The Gen 4 fixes that problem but, I not a fan of the new textured grip. If you shoot alot it seems like the grip can rub your hands raw.

Back to the review: I find the G19 to be extremely accurate and even at 25 yards. I've shot about 500 rounds so far and went through 7 different ammo's and I've found Fiocchi Pistol Shooting Dynamics 124gr FMJTC (Full Metal Jacket Truncated Cone) 9APC to be the most accurate, consistent, with less recoil than the 115gr. $12.45 per 50 and about $225 for 1000 rounds.

No jams or misfeeds so far. The G19 has moderate recoil as compare to other 9mm's. More than the Sig P226 and the HK P30 but, has less recoil than the Ruger LC9 or the Kahr P9. Great for conceal and carry, light and a solid feel. 15 round magazine.

If I missed anything let me know.

15. the.dunbar1988

the.dunbar1988 New Member

Been looking for a good nine to buy i have a friend who is selling his g19 5 mags hip holster 300 rounds of target ammo and 100 hydra-shocks, its a 3rd gen with 207 rounds threw it. he is wanting 500 for it all is that a good deal? i dont know much about glock own a few springfields and a berreta but never a glock and this will be my first 9mm

16. Will_Carry

Will_Carry Well-Known Member

That is a great deal. That's somewhere around $200 worth of extras.

17. Bigyella68

Bigyella68 Member

@BradLe... I have the G19 Gen 3 RTF and, I haven't had any problems with the new textured grips. They're actually really comfortable for me. I also own the Gen 4 G22 and you're right, they did correct the mag release issue in the Gen 4's. I really enjoy shooting the Glock pistols... I own 4.

@edteach2u... As, I said above I own 4 Glocks and have never had any issues with the accuracy. I am able to get groups the size of a half dollar up to 15 yards and a 3 inch group up to 25 yards. I challenge any moderate shooter to better that with any handgun... I have shot most brands except H&K. I think accuracy also depends alot on the shooters tendencies... All guns are fairly accurate.

18. perry916

perry916 New Member

The G19 / M19 (same pistol), is one of the best pistols out there. I have tested many pistols but still go back to the Glock. Their customer service, and tech supports is excellant.

I recenly, puirchased a Ruger SR9, in which I had ALL failure to feed issues. As a matter of fact, I never fired the pistol. Changing ammo brand, lots, magazine, etc.. and still no fire.

TG the gun shop had similar issues and allow me to get a full refund.....

Concl: Glock is the weapon for me.

19. Will_Carry

Will_Carry Well-Known Member

I purchased a Glock 19 generation 4 a while back. I think it's a great pistol. 1) It's accurate 2) dependable 3) light and easy to carry 4) Easy to clean. I can understand why this pistol is rated as one of the best. The only things I don't like about it is the texture of the grip. It's not particularly comfortable, but it is easy to grab and hold on to. Even with the dimples on the grip this is one sweet shooting 9mm. I have shot around 400 rounds through it without any problems.

20. edteach2u

edteach2u Member