Colt Defender Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by tomhilton2001, Apr 12, 2006.

1. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

Beautiful gun there, girphoto....proof positive that wooden grips make a beautiful gun.

I still love the wooden grips on my Kimber CDP II 9mm. With just a little boost I might be tempted to put them on all my guns. That would put me in the poor house, but I'd dang sure have some beautiful guns.

2. dakota1911

dakota1911 Member

Still have my Defender and it is still great after 3K rounds. Looking for one of the new 9mm versions to keep it company, but they just started showing up and I don't have to be first on my block to have one. My only wish is Colt would release one that has the dark finish like the New Agent, or a New Agent with sights.

3. stanruss

stanruss Member

fixing to go shoot my ol defender love that little pistol

4. neverenough

neverenough Well-Known Member

Colt quality.....pretty hard to surpass....

neverenough

5. bdaddy3

bdaddy3 Member

1500 rounds and counting - only a couple of FTFs and those occurred after a 400 round shoot-fest when the .45 was in serious need of cleaning. My son, daughter and all their friends really enjoy punching holes in paper and wood with this Colt. Highly recommend the Defender.

6. stanruss

stanruss Member

i just put a set of crimson trace (lg-404) grips on my defender very impressed if you dont have them go get them i found them online at shooters resource 242 bucks and a little change no shipping and free batteries for life i dialed them in for 30' went thru 200 rounds they are the shit

7. St8Shooter

St8Shooter Well-Known Member

Sooooo today was the day to add a New Colt Defender to my collection..LOL Well 200 rounds in and no FTF. The only issue was when they opened the case for me it was missing a mag. No worries as they gave me a new 7rd Chip Mac mag and off to shoot. Love the weapon at this point. very accurate. thought it might give me issue's being 3 inch but no. It's not Kimber ProCovert II accurate but combat effective none the less. I got this actually because I found that I felt horrible that my Kimber was scratching up the finish..(how sad!!) Enter the justification in my world to get anither 45! Going to try some other ammo soon and see how it cycles through. Golden sabers and cor bon's etc. It carries easy also. still wearing allot of shorts down in southern Tx right now but when jeans become needed it will be used frequently.

8. dakota1911

dakota1911 Member

I bought a .45 back in 2003 and still love to shoot that little guy which now has over 3K rounds through it. I bought a Novak rear sight from Brownells that works with the standard front sight for it. Recently I bought one in 9mm and it has also been great. Has the new sights on it and an upswept beavertail safety with a bump on it. I keep looking for a 40 S&W or a Defender Plus, but they are always too much money when I find one.

9. St8Shooter

Anyone have a time frame on spring wear out in this jem?

10. BillB

BillB Member

Just picked up an unfired Talo Night Defender (black slide, tritium front night sight). I'm on crutches following surgery, but this weapon is a strong incentive to quick recovery - I'm very anxious to get this baby to the range. See photo #6 above for a photo of this custom variation. Standard grips are ornate carved wood, but the photo shows after market rubber grips that I've installed.

11. St8Shooter

very nice Bill.. and wow I also like the woodgrips..

LOL HMMMMMM

Fired again today as an after thought and well I just continue to love this weapon.

12. BillB

BillB Member

Fired the Talo Night Defender for the first time yesterday. It's great with my big hands, and EXTREMELY accurate. I do have a problem, though. The gun will not rack/chamber the top round in either factory mag if there are more than four rounds in the mag. I tried this with three different ammo types with the same results. I have to pull the slide back three or four times to get the round chambered, and in two cases the round was severely compressed before it was chambered. In the worse case of the two, the exposed bullet in the round cleared the casing by only 5/32 of an inch when chambered. Normal exposure on the Winchester SXZ is 5/16, meaning that chambering pushed the bullet into the casing an extra 5/32 of an inch! See Photo #7 for standard and compressed SXZ Training rounds, and note that you can see a line where the bullets were pushed deep into the casings when the rounds were chambered.

Even though I purchased the pistol new and unfired, I am not "the original retail purchaser" so the Colt warranty doesn't apply. Guess I need to find a good 1911 gunsmith in the San Antonio area to do the fix and also to do a couple of mods for me. Any suggestions or recommendations?

13. St8Shooter

Wow thats ugly Bill!!! I would definately get ito in to a smith soon b4 trusting it to carry!!!!

14. BillB

BillB Member

I cleaned it, checked it again (still doing the same thing) and locked it in the safe until I find a decent gunsmith for it.

15. BillB

BillB Member

I spoke with a gunsmith friend of mine (not a 1911 guy) this morning, and he seemed to think that my magazines might be the cause of the feeding problem, so I picked up a brand new Colt 7-round mag and tried it out. Same problem. I stripped the gun and polished the ramp and barrel throat myself, then tried it again. A slight improvement -- now it will feed with 6 rounds loaded in the 7-round magazines. I think my next step is to try a Wilson Combat magazine and see if that helps. In the meantime, I'm still looking for a 1911 gunsmith in the San Antonio area. Has anyone had a similar problem with the factory mags?

16. St8Shooter

I have wilson mags and factory and no prob with either. Unfortunately I'm in conro/the woodlands areaand don't know any good smith's in your's. I'll ask mine and see what he says...

17. BillB

BillB Member

Thanks for your interest. I have relatives all over your area, including a cousin in The Woodlands, but it's a bit too far to drive for a gun repair. We have a large gunsmith shop here, Dury's, but I try to avoid doing business with them. I've faxed Colt Customer Service (they don't seem to have an email address) and hope to hear back from them soon. In the meantime the gun that I hoped would be my primary carry is a safe queen.

18. BillB

BillB Member

The Fix?? This is going to sound simplistic and maybe even stupid, but I think I found the fix, and IMHO it's something that should have never happened. As I mentioned earlier, polishing the ramp seemed to help. I used a paste type stainless steel polish and a buffing wheel on my drill press to bring the rear face of the barrel to a nice gloss, and it helped. Polishing done, I could now feed from a mag with 6 rounds in it. This afternoon I disassembled one mag, then wiped the interior and the spring lightly with some Rem oil, and reassembled it. It now fed from a full 7-round mag! I did the same with the other two mags with the same results. My only guess is that the mags, new and unfired for probably 18 months, just needed a bit of lube to shake out the cobwebs. It's back to the range this week to test the gun again.

19. St8Shooter

?? should have come polished already... but it sounds likes you may be on to something with the mags also.. my ramp is bright and shines after cleaning.. let us know...

20. BillB

BillB Member

Feed ramp on the Night Defender was rough and dull -- but not any more . . .