Colt Defender Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by tomhilton2001, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Sparkz

Sparkz Member

What modification did you do? Was the low profile baseplate from Wilson Combat? I have a couple of the 47 OXC magazines coming this week so I'm curious about the mod you're talking about.

2. bdaddy3

bdaddy3 Member

Sparkz,

With the Wilson 47OXC 7-round stainless magazines, the clearance between the baseplate lip and the Defender frame is not sufficient to allow the mag to properly lock into place. All thats required is to remove (grind) approximately 1/32nd away from the top portion of the baseplate lip which comes into contact with the Defender frame at the area where the Hogue grip wraps the front strap. Once the material is removed from the baseplate, the mag will lock into place just fine. Hope this helps - let me know.

3. Sparkz

Sparkz Member

bdaddy3

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still waiting for the mag's to show up in the mail. I have Crimson Trace grips on mine so I don't know if it will be an issue for me. Thanks for the information. I'll let you know when I get them.

4. arsenrr

arsenrr New Member

I'm doing my homework before buying a Colt Defender. Colt has always provided the quality in weapon I expect. The Defender fits my CCW needs for both power, and compact size. I'm amazed to read so many reviews of this weapon that tout its excellence but equally cite so many issues with the magazines. What is the problem with the magazines? I use Tactical T-shirts for concealed carry from the NRA and they are a superior approach for a small framed man as compared to holsters. I'd like to understand the need to either not rely on the manufacturer provided mag or the need to replace them.

5. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

Three or four months ago, at a Dallas gun show, I traded for a Colt Night Defender. It had two mags w/it, and I have used other brands of mags while firing over 700 rounds through it, and not one blip till yet. Maybe Colt has improved their grip on the gun on the newer models.

It is accurate, dependable, and one fine looking gun. It is well worth the trade that I made for it.

6. bdaddy3

bdaddy3 Member

arsenrr - I have been extremely pleased with my Defender and am in total agreement with keyman - see my review I plan to post shortly for additional detail.

7. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

Whheeeeewwww, bdaddy . . . great post you had there. A fine job of covering all the bases concerning the Colt Defender. Thank you.

8. bdaddy3

bdaddy3 Member

keyman - thanks for the feedback. Glad to share my experiences any time so please don't hesitate to ask.

9. Wasga

Wasga New Member

bdaddy3, my Defender came with Trijicon Night sights. They must be available now.

I looked closer at the sights... They are Trijicon branded sights from Novak's. Sorry for my confusion.

10. BLUE73

BLUE73 Member

Hello all - new to the site & new to this gun in particular. Purchased last year and now intend to carry. I'm wondering if this thing can handle Hornady +P ammo... If not - is it a matter of replacing the spring for a stiffer one ? And will that in turn give me issues cycling "normal" loads ? Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

11. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

Hello,BLUE . . .Welcome to the fun website Gun Directory. I have never fired the Hornady +P ammo, sorry that I can't help you there. If you get a good answer, please keep us informed of your results.

And again, welcome to the forum.

12. Sparkz

Sparkz Member

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the .40 cal. Defender? I have the .45 that I'm considering trading for a .40 and would appreciate to hear from anyone who has one or has any experience with it.

13. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

Hi, sparkz . . . All the information I've digested concerning the difference between a 40 and 45 caliber gun is that the 45 is much better.

I've owned two 40 cal guns and neither of them were as good as the 45. That's my two cents worth. I just imagine that which is better could turn into a can of worms. Surely there are many different points of view.

Keep us informed of any change that you might make in this regard. Thanks.

14. muddman97

muddman97 Member

I think I just found my new concealed carry gun right here.

15. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

OK, mudd....Tell us how you determined that this will be your new "carry gun."

Most of us have our reason to carry this fine weapon, so take a little time and tell us about yours.

Thanks for stopping by, and I look forward to your comments.

16. bravo619

bravo619 New Member

so is the mag issue when the clip empties or just being in the gun or what? please help me i just bought a new one and don't need it getting jacked up. lmk what to buy as far as add ons and must haves! thanks guys i love the site too! semper fi

17. girphoto

girphoto Well-Known Member

Hi keyman, girphoto here...

Just thought you would like to update the thread to add 9mm. I have a 9mm Defender, that my FFL got in two weeks ago and have added an S&A magwell. It is now on the carry rotation and with me right now in a 5shot IWB holster. Just ordered a Sparks VMII from Top gun for it (like the VMII and use it on my SIG 239).

So far with a little over 500 rd's, no problems. Have a new set of grips on the way and will post a new images when they get here.

Thanks

18. keyman

keyman Well-Known Member

Hi, girphoto.....You're about five steps ahead of me here.....I was unaware that a 9mm Defender was available.

My 45 is a Night Defender, and looks a little different from the Defender pictured. It has a black slide and nickel frame. Shoots VERY good. I'll be anxious to see the 9mm.

19. girphoto

girphoto Well-Known Member

Hi keyman

above photo 5 of 5 is my Colt Defender in 9mm with Smith & Alexander magwell and mordillo wood grips buy Sarge at website:

http://www.thefinergrain.com

The gun shoots great and I have been carrying in a Sparks VMII and a 5shot both IWB.

Great little gun and shoots what ever I give her to shoot.

The cost on this NEW little Defender is apx. $1200/ at this weeks gun show in West Palm Beach, Florida.