Colt Defender Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by tomhilton2001, Apr 12, 2006.

1. tomhilton2001

tomhilton2001 New Member

I own this weapon. I have fired it over 250 rounds. It is a great gun for inclose shooting (25yards). Anything longer than that is pretty much luck. It is a comfortable weapon to hold, the standard grips are nice in that they are soft enough to get a good grip. I have never had the weappon to jam on me. It is easy to tear down and clean and reassemble.

2. smschulz

smschulz Member

I felt the attraction to this weapon after wanting a carry version of my Combat Elite. After two range sessions my conclusion is this a very good gun. I did experience a jam on the first session but after a new cleaning and lube the second was flaless. Accuracy is very good. Recoil is more evident than a larger frame gun due to the smaller handle. I love the feel, size and rubber grip. I reseve rating it excellent due to the jam in the first session, but am very pleased with it.

3. wicket1313

wicket1313 Member

I do not own this model but just by holding it i can say nothin bad. I own a CZ 75 p 01 and I wanted somethin with a lil more power, and I think i found it! I cant wait to see what it can do. If anyone can give me any heads up on this sweet piece hit me up.... at [email protected].

4. bcjwriter

bcjwriter Well-Known Member

Ive had one for just under a year as an off-duty gun. The only negative was that it came new with a broken extractor. To give Colt their due, they made it right with a new one. It looks like the broken one was MIMd, which Colt said they used for a short time. For obvious reasons, they went back to milled for better quality.

As a shooter, I have no complaints. It shoots right on, but the recoil is pretty fierce - about on par with my Glock 27. I cant give it the excellent rating due to the broken extractor, but it is an otherwise excellent gun.

5. skatona

skatona Member

Have this gun on layaway for Christmas. I will rate the gun after I shoot it after Christmas. Reason for posting is that I am trying to get some ideas on concealment holsters. I prefer the IWB type. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

6. bcjwriter

skatona, Ive found that anything from Don Hume is excellent. They have different types of IWBs that are pretty simple and reasonable. I recently heard of a really nice modular unit from Comp Tac too, but I havent actually tried it yet. I guess it really has to depend on how it feels for you.

7. skatona

skatona Member

bcjwriter, thanks. I think I found one to try from there. Thanks again!

8. skatona

skatona Member

Took the gun out to the range shortly after Christmas and put 200 rounds thru it. It was flawless. Handles great. Weight is nice and recoil is not bad for a 3 inch 45 caliber. This has become my favorite carry gun.

9. EBG

EBG Active Member

Great firearm and good concealment weapon. Put 300 rounds one clip after the other and functioned without a hitch. Love the combat trigger and hammer and the packmyer grip fits like it was custom made. Takedown is easy and cleaning is a breeze. But like with any shorter barrelled gun, accuracy is sacrificed at a further distance. Well worth your money.

10. dakota1911

dakota1911 Member

The best little (about 3 inch) .45 I have shot. I put over 2K rounds through mine and carried it for a couple years. Still have it but now carry a Colt XSE LW Commander which is a few ounces heavier and a little bigger but you can get hits out further and I live in a more rual environment.

11. czdude

czdude Active Member

cool gun for the money

12. Badgerwoman

Badgerwoman Member

Well, I got my Henry Big Boy .44 mag for Mothers Day, maybe I'll get this for Christmas??? I've actually had my eyes on the Defender for some time now, as a new Conceal carry piece. The only thing that concerned me was the aluminum frame.

13. bcjwriter

badgrwoman...

I have carried a defender for a considerable time now, and the aluminum frame is pretty durable. In today's world, aluminum frames are pretty top notch. I say go for the Defender...mine has served me well, and handles better than my all-steel Officer's model. It's something to do with the double recoil spring setup.

14. Badgerwoman

Badgerwoman Member

Any feeding issues with JHP's?

15. bcjwriter

badgerwoman,

Most JHP's feed without a hiccup. I look for JHP's that have a more rounded edge, like the Winchester 230 grain personal defense load. Whatever round you pick, only testing will make sure.

The other catch is to have a good magazine. The Colt ones are good, but the new ones from Tripp Research are the best I've found. 7-rounds and utterly reliable.

16. exhaust

exhaust Well-Known Member

If you run into feeding problems try Corbon's Powerball ammo, I use it in my Ultra Carry 1911. It's a hollow point with a polymer ball in the center to both help feed like a fmj and also help expansion on impact.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/index.html

17. Badgerwoman

Badgerwoman Member

I'm assuming the Model O (stainless frame/slide) Defender is no longer in production??? All the ones I've seen are the Plus (alluminum alloy) models. I'd much rather get the Model O, given the choice. If ever I find one I can only hope I've got the cash in my pocket.

18. bcjwriter

Badgerwoman,

Look them up on Gunbroker.com...there are a bunch of them...not a "plus" model anywhere...

Good luck.

19. bcjwriter

Does anyone out there have some performance information or suggestions for a .45 load for a 3" pistol. My work currently issues the 230 gr. Winchester USA JHP (Personal Defense), and since I carry it in my duty 1911, I carry the same thing in my 3"

Does anyone have any info?

20. exhaust

exhaust Well-Known Member

I like the Powerball ammo, I do remember reading somewhere it performed well out of the short barrels, the ball itself helps the expansion on top of reliable feeding. Ive never had a problem with it.