Carry Condition Preference Survey

Discussion in 'Concealed Carry' started by 1ofEA, Mar 3, 2010.

1. 1ofEA

1ofEA Active Member

SURVEY:

What firearm do you carry?

In what condition do you carry and why?

Condition 0

Condition 1

Condition 2

Condition 3

Condition 4

2. 1ofEA

1ofEA Active Member

All semi-autos: Condition 3

Revolvers: Condition 2

While I don't have one in the chamber I feel the added safety of eliminating an accidental fireing out weighs the added time required to chamber a round. I never intend to cowboy draw & fire. I prefer to know my surroundings, assess and react.

3. judgeparker

judgeparker Well-Known Member

1911 condition one cocked and locked, for that matter condition one for most all my handguns and rifle's. While your rackin the slide I'm poken holes in em. Keeping your finger off the trigger until target acquisition cuts down on accidental discharges.

4. beltbuckle

beltbuckle Well-Known Member

If I'm carrying a 1911, it's condition 1, or if it's just in the truck it may be in 3.

Other DOA or SA/DA pistols I carry in condition 2, safety on or off depending.

HERE IS THE DEFINITIONS FOR CONDITIONS IF YOUR NOT SURE WHAT THEY ARE

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

5. exhaust

exhaust Well-Known Member

Any gun I have out of the safe for a defensive purpose, (home and/or carry) is ready to go.

SA -cocked & locked

Striker -chambered

SA/DA -chambered w/hammer down

6. judgeparker

judgeparker Well-Known Member

I sure thought you guys would raz me about my silly poken holes comment but I guess it wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. Condition one is safe and faster but it takes some time to get used to carrying that way.

7. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

I've been carrying for over 30 years, so I do like g4l.

However, I'm contious of my sidearm [& its condition] every second. Like an egg in my pocket.

Likely scenario: I'm in line at the local Gas & Rob... some puke pulls a weapon on clerk + e/one. The noise of me 'racking one' would probably get me shot.

Those velcro pockets are just as bad.

It's really a lot of work staying contious of your sidearm... some rather keep sidearm safer & think about other things.

It's all about what's 'safest' for the individual, which may change over time.

It would be too goofy to CC & end up shooting yourself.

8. drjavelina

drjavelina New Member

I carry a Sigma .40VE and it is chambered and ready. Can't say it's locked since the Sigma doesn't have a safety. In a stressfull situation you dont have time to call time-out to rack your slide, take the gun off safety and then prepare to confront your attacker.

9. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

The scenario I posted below happened to me when I lived in a northern state. I was 3rd in line when a BG pulled a large revolver on the clerk... with an eye on everyone.

I was off-duty on a stinkin' hot, humid day & had my CA .357 mag Pug [snubbie] with the full-weight bobbed hammer they used to have, in the RR pocket of my jeans with shirt untucked.

Even though I got my hand on the grip, unnoticed, it was still "way too close".

Sure glad I wasn't next in that line... things may not have worked out as well.

All those hours I'd spent practicing my draw, with that particular sidearm, were well worth it.

I was trained with the 'mindset': The BG gets the first shot... count on it. So: 1. Draw-move 2. aim-shoot, 2 secs, max.

Off duty [CC] was the toughest to learn. I think I practiced my draw for 6 months with the sidearm 'unloaded', before I even attempted the aim-shoot.

I doubt I could come very close [at all] to the 2 seconds from the whistle to the shot, thesedays, even though I do practice.

10. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

Condition One. Because Jeff said so...

11. NORMSHERMAN

NORMSHERMAN New Member

HAD TAKEN ME A WHILE TO GET COMFY WITH EVEN IN COND. 2 AND HAVING A RUGER P90 WITH DECOCKER. IN REALITY, THIS IS SAFER THAN NEEDING YOUR GUN AND THEN HAVING TO RACK THE SLIDE. IN LIFE OR DEATH [BG] SITUATION A LOT CAN GO DOWN IN THE TIME NEEDE TO RACK. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE RANGE ALL THE TIME TO STAY FRIENDS WITH YOUR GUN. I HAVE HAD CANCER THE LAST 3 YRS SO I HAVE BEEN HOME A LOT SO I DRY FIRE WITH SNAPS. PRACTICING DRAW AND SIGHTING. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GUN YOU REALLY LOVE TO HOLD, TO FEEL COMFY, AND DEFITINELY A GOOD HOLSTER. I BEEN LOOKING MYSELF FOR ANOTHER HOLSTER AND SAW THAT THE G CODE COMFORT CARRY LOOKED AND SOUNDED LIKED ONE THAT WOULD TAKE OFF SOME OF THE WEIGHT OF MY RUGER AT 34OZ. THIS GUN IS ALL I HAVE EVER CC AND WITH A GOOD GUN BELT I FORGET I EVEN HAVE THIS ONE ON.

12. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

Dang Norm, 34 ounces !!??!! That's a decent weapon before loading it. LOL

I must be getting old. I just went to the new CA 'on duty' rev, 38spl, 5 shot, aluminum frame, +P rated, shrouded hammer, at 12 oz.

It seems perfect for the summer months.

You're absolutely right about handling the bejeebers out of your CC sidearm, whatever it is. The BGs usually come out of nowhere, ask you for a light or something to 'feel-you-out', before showing their weapon. Some step out from a parked van, wall, corner, etc., with a blade in hand.

Then what?

I was taught to run away [distance from blade] while drawing sidearm.

Fat chance I'd be thinking about various safties, racking slides, etc.

Some sidearms require a better/special holster, but the thing better be 'ready-to-go' when I draw it.

13. 1ofEA

1ofEA Active Member

Continuing from my original post in this thread: I carry Con3 because I tend to rotate through CC guns depending on the weather, clothing, occasion, etc. So if I only carry Con3 the only thing I need to think about is racking the slide. I don't need to worry about 'what am I carrying today', 'where's the safety', etc.

I never intended to carry cowboy and outdraw somebody. You can never anticipate every situation, but you need to know: is there more than one perp, where's my family, what's beyond my target, etc. I believe if I stay aware of my surroundings I can assess, draw, rack, shoot & move to address the situation. Sometimes it's better not to draw. If it's over money or property and I don't think I can keep my family or bystanders safe, I'll keep it holstered.

14. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

1ofea, Unless you live in TX, you can not legally draw your weapon for any property offense. If someone is unarmed and is stealing your vehicle, call 911 & your insurance company.

If a pitbull attacks your dog while out walking, you cannot draw your sidearm to protect your dog [legally, dogs are property].

If you come home and a couple guys are leaving your house, with your big screen TV, call 911 & your insurance company.

If a giant, unarmed mugger says, "give me your wallet", you cannot draw your sidearm.

If you draw your sidearm 'just to scare someone away', that is an illegal assault.

If a couple of bad guys decide you looked at them wrong in a parking lot and proceed, unarmed, to give you a butt-whoopin' ...you can not draw your sidearm.

[the same goes for LEOs, but they always carry 'intermediate' weapons, like Pepper Spray, Batons, Tasers, etc.]

You may only draw your weapon when you truly "believe your life or someone else's is in immenent, immediate danger or are certain of serious bodily injury" [serious bodily injury means a weapon is being used against you].

When your sidearm is in your hand, in public view, you are guilty of 'Brandishing', a misdemeaor crime and the main cause of people losing their CC permits.

15. 1ofEA

1ofEA Active Member

goanra, thanks for your response. I'm not sure how we got on the subject of brandishing and such? Some of what you say is true but things might be different here in PA. Being outnumbered or accosted by a substantially larger perp falls within imminent danger and lethal force could be justified. We also have a castle doctrine for home protection and we can carry open without a license.

16. whitehood

whitehood Well-Known Member

The proper response should be is " I was in fear or my life and I really want to talk to a lawyer before I say anything else is what should be said.

17. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with your recommendation WH.

18. 1ofEA

1ofEA Active Member

Some say you should add, 'I'm traumatized and want medical attention.'

This is all getting a bit off thread. Anyone want to start a "The Aftermath of a Shooting" thread?

19. GOANRA

GOANRA Well-Known Member

Whitehood summed it up well enough.

I've been the first to arrive at a 'seemingly' justified shooting scene several times.

In every case, it was all I could do to get the person to just 'shut up' [their adreneline is pumping] & to put the flippin' gun down once I got there [the LEO doesn't know who's who].

People think they have to explain their actions to LEOs [witnesses & background checks will pretty much tell the story].

Everyone should know who they are going to call & that person needs to know the difference between a large [influential] law firm and a storefront lawyer. Even for non-firearm business. Stuff happens.

20. whitehood

whitehood Well-Known Member

Yep and expect a lawsuit from any surviving relatives of any scumbag you take off the board.